Featured A Series of Father & Son Tragedies (w/ a fathers day msg)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NicholasMaximus, Jun 19, 2020.

1. NicholasMaximus

NicholasMaximus Well-Known Member

As Father's Day weekend is now upon us, I want to start off by saying Happy Fathers Day to all of the Dad’s of Coin Talk! In honor of Father’s Day, I wanted to share something I wrote about a series of father/ son emperors, whose lives ended in tragedy (accompanied by recent coin acquisitions of each pair).

As fathers day approaches, i cant help but to think of the people who do not have good relationships with their fathers or their children. As an optimist, I would ask these people to look on the bright side. Read this article, and realize things could probably be worse and unlike these figures, you can still change your fate.

Before I dive into these figures, I want to note that I will be sharing the different historical possibilities for each of them. Roman History is extremely muddy, and the most often used sources are often tainted with political bias (or the possibility of such bias).

Marcus Julius Philippus, or as we know him, Philip the Arab/ Philip I. 244-249 AD Co- Emperor/ Son - Philip II

After the death of the young emperor Gordian III, (who was either killed in battle against Persians, or the victim of a plot, which could have been directed by Philip) Philip took the leap from Praetorian Prefect to emperor. He was a very smart man, a skilled administrator and a capable general, but he was known to be arrogant. Born into an equestrian family, Philip lacked the aristocratic bloodlines of a typical emperor. He also made a meteoric rise by quickly parlaying his role as prefect, into a grasp on the imperial throne.

Philip undertook an expensive building program and worked to maintain good relations with the senate. He also severely raised taxes which would help erode his support among the tax paying class. He was however, very tolerant of Christianity, with some historians arguing he was a Christian. He does seem to be very interested in Christianity and certainly tolerant, but evidence shows he carried out traditional roman state religion as "Pontifex Maximus".

It didn’t take long for bad circumstances to catch up with Philip, and a few years into his reign he realized he was in danger. Continuing to set new precedent, Philip went to the senate and offered to resign his position as emperor. The senate strongly supported his continued reign and Philip was given a boost of confidence. He sent a particularly vocal supporter of his in the senate, Decius, to quell a rebellion in Moesia.

Decius would achieve a quick and efficient victory and in a twist of fate, was named emperor by his soldiers. He was now a usurper to the throne, which was currently occupied by Philip and his young son, Philip II.

Philip, was no longer willing to resign (perhaps he never really was in the first place) and he met Decius at Verona. They had negotiated, but Philip’s pride had overtaken logic and no deal could be reached. Decius scores a victory at Verona and Philip is either killed in battle or assassinated by his own soldiers after his loss became apparent. Philips' 12 year old son was murdered as a result of his father's blunder. Most theories say that he was killed by his own praetorian guard, once news of his father's loss reached Rome. Some say that he was in Verona and died alongside his father, but his young age makes this version less likely.

Philip I Antoninianus - 22 MM

Philip I Ant AEQVITAS.jpg

Philip II Tetradrachm- 26 MM

Philip II Tetradrachm.jpg

Gaius Messius Quintus Traianus Decius, or as we know him, Trajan Decius (or just Decius) 249-251 AD Co-Emperor/ Son - Herennius Etruscus

Trajan Decius would take over an empire threatened by external forces. His domestic policy included severe persecution of Christians (in stark contrast to his predecessor) and a building program. He repaired the Colosseum, and built the “Baths of Decius” a remarkable structure that stood for 1300 years (it was finished in 252, after his death).

He elevated his son Herennius Etruscus to co-emperor in the final year of his reign. When the Goths invaded Roman provinces along the Danube, Decius and his son personally commanded the army to go beat back the invading force. After an initial victory against the Goths, things went south for the Romans. After a few back and forth exchanges, the Goths set an ambush and forced the Romans into the Battle of Abritus. It was in this battle that both Decius and his son were killed by the Goths.

It is said that Herennius Etruscus died first (he was 24 years old at the time) and upon hearing the news, Decius shook it off and said something along the lines of “the death of one soldier is not of great importance”. Nobody really knows if Decius said anything like this, but it is definitely an interesting narrative. One might question why the emperors would put themselves in such danger. But if they had sent a general instead, a victory could have resulted in a challenge to their throne.

Trajan Decius Antoninianus - 19 x 22 MM

Td.jpg

Herennius Etruscus Antoninianus - 21 MM

HHerennius Etruscus PVBLICA Denarius.jpg

Gaius Vivius Trebonianus Gallus, or as we know him, Trebonianus Gallus. 251-253 AD Co- Emperor/ Son- Volusian

Trebonianus Gallus was serving as Governor of Moesia Superior when his predecessors were killed. Some sources claim that he betrayed Decius and conspired with the Goths. This isn’t clear, but he did make peace with the Goths on embarrassing terms, immediately after being named emperor by his troops. Perhaps this is evidence of such betrayal? Or maybe he just didn’t like his chances of surviving a drawn out fight against the Goths and wanted to hurry back to Rome to cement his position.

Hostilian was another son of Decius and he had assumed the throne in Rome after the death of his father and brother. That didn’t stop Gallus from marching in and taking power for himself. He named The young Hostilian co-emperor in a political maneuver, but Hostilian would die just a few months later (exact age unknown, but he was in his late teens to early twenties as he was younger than his brother). His death is theorized as a possible murder, a way for Gallus to get rid of his young co-emperor and make room for his own son. Or it could have been the plague that killed him, as it devastated Rome from 251-266.

Either way, Gallus immediately named his son Volusian, co-emperor. Between numerous external threats and a ravaging plague, Gallus didn’t leave much of a mark in terms of domestic policy. He did win favor of the people by granting burials to the victims of the plague (even the poor ones) and did what he could to fight the contagion. In 252, the Persian King Shapur I invaded Armenia and dealt quite the blow to Roman forces at Barbalissos. Shapur was then allowed to decimate provinces in Syria and even sacked Antioch, with no response from Gallus.

When his successor as governor of Moesia Superior, Aemilanus, refused to pay the Goths tribute (that Gallus had promised under his peace deal) the Goths launched another invasion. Aemilanus was able to defeat them, and was named emperor by his troops. He would march on Italy and fight for the throne but Gallus called for reinforcements and prepared for battle.

What happens next is unclear, but the best picture we have, indicates no battle between the two occurred. When the reinforcements Gallus called for (under future emperor Valerian) were late to arrive, his own troops murdered him and his son Volusian (23 years old).

Trebonianus Gallus Antoninianus - 21 x 23 MM

Treb.jpg

Volusian Antoninianus - 21 MM

Volusian Ant.jpg

So we have these tragedies, where fathers were getting their sons killed during their quest for glory/ power. You might not have a good relationship with your father or one of your kids, but as long as you are both alive, it is never too late to attempt to change things. Just like the imperial figures we read about, sometimes we let our pride lead us down a path of destruction. Don’t be afraid to make the first move, even if getting rejected hurts. If you try to reconnect with an estranged loved one and they reject you, at least you know that you made an effort and you would still be in the same place you’re in now. Don’t let pride get in the way of reaching out.

As I write this, I think of my own family. I watched as my middle brother (I’m the youngest of 3) had a frosty relationship with my father for years. A once good relationship had soured, when our parents divorced and my father moved to Florida. My father tried to unsuccessfully make contact a few times but he let his pride stop him from further attempts.

Years went by and then just like that, my brother had realized he was being petty. I chalk it up to wisdom that comes with age (he was only 18 when this started). Now they hangout all the time, and I can tell they both regret the lost years without communicating.

So, If you have a relative or someone else you cared about, that you haven’t spoken to in a long time, I hope you consider reaching out to them soon. All it takes is a “hello/ how are you doing/I hope you have been well” Or dare I say, you might even have the courage to throw in an “l’m sorry” if it makes sense.

After all, what do you really have to lose ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NicholasMaximus

I also wanted to thank @Brian Bucklan & @Victor_Clark for having these coins in stock. I purchased the Decius and Gallus from Victor and the other four coins from Brian. I could really spend a fortune on coins when looking at their sites.

I hope everyone enjoyed the write up and shares any coins they have of the figures mentioned above. Thanks & enjoy the weekend!

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe that the worst situation for a father would not be the death of his children but that they would kill each other in a dispute over his 'estate'.
    Septimius Severus, Caracalla and Geta:
    ri3670bb0646.jpg rm6710bb0127.jpg rm7045fd1698.jpg

Biggest loser of them all was Constantine the Great who left the empire to three younger, warring sons after having killed his eldest.
    Crispus (eldest), Constantine II, Constantius II and Constans
    rw5690b00673lg.jpg
    rx6405bb3231.jpg rw6065fd1317.jpg

Attached Files:

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

ah, nice write up and coins Nick..:)...(i have them all, but it'd take me 2 years to upload them)...for my Father, over the last few holidays, i've got him models of his '55 Buick he owned when i was born (believe it or not, i remember the car!)..and just recently, going thru my mothers old family album, i found in the back a picture of that car that i knew existed, but hadn't seen in over 40 years...so i had it blown up to a 10x12 and gave it to him a few days ago in advance in an old frame..he loved it and remembered(he's 85 in Oct) putting the mirrors on it...this pic was taken when i was 4 months old.. greg miller (1).jpg

Attached Files:

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Then there was Marcus Aurelius ...

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius, AD 161-180.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 21.36 g, 29.5 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 173.
    Obv: M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII, head of Marcus Aurelius, laureate, right.
    Rev: RESTITVTORI ITALIAE IMP VI COS III, Marcus Aurelius, in military dress, standing left, holding vertical spear in left hand and clasping right hands with Italia kneeling right before him, holding globe in left hand; SC in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 1077; BMCRE 1449-1450; Cohen 538; RCV 4997; MIR 259.

... who had such high hopes for his son, Commodus:

[​IMG]
    Commodus, AD 177-192.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 22.51 g, 29.2 mm, 1 h.
    Rome, AD 192.
    Obv: L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL, laureate bust of Commodus, right, with slight drapery on left shoulder.
    Rev: LIB AVG P M TR P XVII COS VII P P, Libertas standing facing, head left, holding pileus in right hand and vindicta in left hand; S C l. and r., low in field; star, mid right, in field.
    Refs: RIC 619b; BMCRE 692 var. (bust); Cohen 290; Sear 5764; ERIC II 573 var. (bust).

7. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Honorable mention should go to Augustus , who although he had no sons, had a daughter ,Julia, whom he exiled and never allowed her to return to Rome.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool write up and coins, @NicholasMaximus . Well done.

Philip I and II

upload_2020-6-19_22-3-27.png
    RI Philip I 244-249 CE AR Ant radiate zoo Antelope SAECVLARES 1000 yr anniv Rome

upload_2020-6-19_22-4-5.png
    RI Philip II 244-249 Nisibis Mesopotamia-farthest EAST Temple Tyche river god Mygdonius - sinister left

But, Hey! Let's trot out the REAL PHILIP II and his Son, Alex:

upload_2020-6-19_22-6-14.png
    Makedon Philip II Tet Pella LIFETIME 353-349 Zeus Horse star spearhd Le Rider 102

Philip gets cut down by a creepy assassin, before he could execute his plans against Persia. Alex takes over, gets his Father's job done, then dies of some fever in Babylon... Wow, kinda sick Historical Soap-Opera when you consolidate all that major History in one sentence...

upload_2020-6-19_22-9-46.png
    Makedon Alexander III - Alexandrine Babylon Di-Shekel Tet 24mm 16.35g LIFETIME 328-311 Baal - Lion

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great write-up, @NicholasMaximus. I think that Macrinus also deserves a (dis)honorable mention here, but since I don’t have a coin of his son, I’ll just share these father/son tets of Philip I and II from Antioch.

E03B40F9-C447-4638-8DEF-8626CB75E0B2.jpeg
    9D179F38-324F-4FF6-A2EE-0CE7BC2DAC58.jpeg

10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Those are great coins. But I think Marcus Aurelius is holding a scepter, not a spear: that's how RIC describes it, and how it's described in other sources like the examples in the CNG archives. (RCV doesn't say one way or the other.) Also, it seems to me that when held vertically, spears usually are held with one end on the ground, not entirely up in the air like a scepter.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's important to look at primary sources with images and decide for oneself. My coin is too worn to tell, so I consulted an exemplar in a museum. It's important to use context as well, when an image is unclear. Hence one might ask "Does it make sense that Marcus Aurelius in military dress would hold a spear while rescuing Italy in the immediate aftermath of battle?"

British Museum collection, 1449:

"Marcus Aurelius, in military dress, standing left, holding vertical spear in left hand and clasping right hands with Italia kneeling right before him, holding globe in left hand."

Here's a relevant detail of BMC 1449:

Capture.JPG

Print edition of BMCRE4 (1449, p.629):

20200620_021145.jpg

12. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Nice write up and coins.....
    Here's another father and son....
    Licinius I RICVII#8 Siscia
    Licinius II RICVII#162 Siscia
    FS2.jpg

13. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

My Roman collection is full of difficult and generally tragic father-son-relationships:

Marcus Aurelius certainly wouldn't have been happy about his son's reign:
    Rom – Marcus Aurelius, Sesterz, Victoria (neues Bild).png
    Marcus Aurelius, Roman Empire, sestertius, 168 AD, Rome mint. Obv: M ANTONINVS AVG [ARM PARTH MAX]; head of Marcus Aurelius, laureate, r. Rev: [TR POT XXII] IMP V COS III; Victory advancing l., holding wreath in r. hand and palm, sloped over l. shoulder, in l. hand. 32mm, 23.08g. Ref: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 959.

Rom – Commodus, Sesterz, Roma .png
    Commodus, Roman Empire, sestertius, 183 AD, Rome mint. Obv: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG PIVS; laureate head of Commodus r. Rev: P VIII [IMP VI] COS IIII P P; Roma, helmeted, draped, seated l. on shield, holding Victory in extended r. hand and vertical spear in l. hand; in fields, S-C. 30mm, 25.14g. Ref: RIC III Commodus 369.

Septimius Severus' eldest son Caracalla killed his younger brother and must be considered one of the most bloodthirsty tyrants in Roman history:
    Rom – Septimius Severus, denar, Dea Caelestis.png
    Septimius Severus, Roman Empire, AR denarius, 202–210 AD, Rome mint. Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG; head of Septimius Severus, laureate, r. Rev: INDVLGENTIA AVGG IN CARTH; Dea Caelestis, draped, riding r. on lion, holding thunderbolt in r. hand and sceptre in l. hand; below, water gushing from rock. 19mm, 3.32g. Ref: RIC IV Septimius Severus 266. Ex Marc Breitsprecher; ex Secret Saturn 2019 (thanks a lot – I love this coin!).

Rom – Caracalla, denar, Apollo mit Leier.png
    Caracalla, Roman Empire, denarius, 215 AD, Rome mint. Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM; laureate head of Caracalla r. Rev: P M TR P XVIII COS IIII P P; Apollo, naked except for cloak flying behind, standing l., holding branch in extended r. hand and with l. hand lyre set on altar. 21mm, 3.04g. Ref: RIC IV Caracalla 254.

Rom – Geta, denar, Minerva (neues Foto).png
    Geta, Roman Empire, denarius, 202–207 AD, Rome mint. Obv: P SEPTIMIVS GETA CAES; bust of Geta, draped and cuirassed, r. Rev: PONTIF COS; Minerva standing l., leaning on shield and holding spear. 20mm, 2.74g. Ref: RIC IV Geta 34a.

Gallienus had to deal with the defeat of his father Valerian, who was captured and probably executed by the Sasanian king Shapur I.
    Rom – Valerian I, Antoninian, Oriens.png
    Valerian I, Roman Empire, AR antoninianus, 258–259 AD, Cologne mint (RIC: Lugdunum mint), Obv: VALERIANVS P F AVG; draped, cuirassed, radiate bust of Valerian I r. Rev: ORIENS AVGG; Sol standing l., raising r. hand and holding globe in l. hand. 21mm, 2.86g. Ref: RIC V Valerian 13. Ex Forvm Ancient Coins.

Rom – Gallienus, Antoninian, Virtus Augusti (Herkules).png
    Gallienus, Roman Empire, BI antoninian, 260–268 AD, Asian mint (Samosata or Antioch?). Obv: GALLIENVS P F AVG; bust of Gallienus, cuirassed, radiate, r. Rev: VIRTVS AVGVSTI; Hercules, standing r,, holding club in right hand and lion-skin in left hand (type of the Farnese Hercules). 21.5mm, 4.01g. Ref: RIC V Gallienus 672.

Maximian's support for his son, the usurper Maxentius, ended in the violent death of both father and son:
    Rom – Maximian, Follis, Trier.png
    Maximian, Roman Empire, AE1 (“follis”), 296–297 AD, Trier mint. Obv: IMP MAXIMIANVS P AVG; bust of Maximianus, laureate, r. Rev: GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI; Genius standing l., holding patera and cornucopia, modius on head; in fields, A–Γ; in exergue, TR. 25mm, 9.30g. Ref: RIC VI Trier 181b.

Rom – Maxentius, Follis, Dioskuren (neues Bild).png
    Maxentius, Roman Empire, AE1 ("follis"), 309–312 AD, mint: Ostia. Obv: IMP C MAXENTIVS PF AVG, laureate head right. Rev: AETERNITAS AVG N, the Dioscuri standing facing each other, each holding sceptre and the reins of his horse, mintmark MOSTQ. 24 mm, 5.38 g. Ref: RIC VI, 35 Q.

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I bought this one because I'd always wanted a coin showing Septimius with the two boys. The preference he's showing to Caracalla here foreshadows the troubles ahead.

Septimius Prusa 00447Q00.JPG
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AE29. 11.18g, 28.8mm. BITHYNIA, Prusias ad Hypium, circa AD 197/8. RecGen -; BMC -; SNG von Aulock -; SNG Cop -; ISEGRIM -. O: ΑΥΤ Κ Λ ΣΕΠΤΙ ΣΕΟΥΗΡΟΣ Π, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: ΕΙΣ ΕΩΝΑ ΤΟΥ-Σ Κ-ΥΡ-ΙΟΣ / ΠΡΟΥΣΙΕΩΝ, Septimius Severus, in military attire, standing front, head to left, holding scepter in his left hand and clasping his right hand with Caracalla, on the left, standing right in miltary attire and holding scepter in his left; on the right, Geta, togate, standing front, head to left, holding patera in his right hand and scroll (?) in his left.
    Notes: Unpublished in the standard references and possibly unique.

The writeup below is from a Leu auction of a bronze of Julia Domna from Tavium, but largely applies also to this coin as the reverse type and legends are virtually identical, and both types were almost certainly special issues struck around the same time.

"The reverse legend ЄIC ЄΩNA TOYC KYPIOC translates as 'eternal rulers' and is a praise on the Severan dynasty, which is celebrated for bringing peace and stability to the empire after the civil wars in 192-196. It is interesting to note that both the reverse legend and type are copied from an extremely rare issue from Nicaea, which was misdescribed in the von Aulock Sylloge as showing Septimius Severus, Caracalla and Homonoia (SNG von Aulock 590). However, the present coin clearly shows that the figure on the right is a togate juvenile male and thus in all likelyhood the emperor's younger son Geta. But why, then, are Septimius and Caracalla shown in military attire, whereas Geta is togate? The answer lies in the date of the coin, which through an obverse die match to dated issues from Tavium (SNG Paris 2659-2660) can be determined to be 197/8, the year in which Caracalla became Augustus and Geta Caesar. This very important event was, as this coin shows, celebrated throughout the empire before the imperial family set out for the East to fight the Parthians. As the titular co-ruler of his father Septimius Severus, Caracalla appears in military attire, whereas Geta wears the toga virlis, which was given to Romans when they reached adulthood. In actual fact, both of Septimius' sons were way too young to be considered adults in 197/8, but the interests of the imperial family always took precedence over Roman traditions."

15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

In terms of reaching out and re-establishing contact, I'm guessing that none would have enjoyed that more than Gallienus.

His dad, Valerian, captured by Shapur I, and who eventually died in captivity:
    [​IMG]
    Silver Double Denarius
    Antioch mint, A.D. 253
    Obv: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG
    Rev: PIETAS AVGG - Two emperors, emperor at left sacrificing at altar with patera, emperor at right, sword on belt, holding eagle-tipped scepter
    RIC 284
    24 x 22 mm, 3.5g.

His son, unable to rescue him:
    [​IMG]
    Silver Double Denarius
    Asia Minor mint, A.D. 255-256
    Obv: IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS P F AVG
    Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI - Emperor with spear, receiving globe from Jupiter, on right, leaning on scepter
    Wreath in field
    RIC 440
    21mm, 4.5g

16. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Septimius Severus and his sons Caracalla & Geta

While campaigning against the warlikec tribes of northern Britain accompanied by his sons Caracalla and Geta in AD211, Septimius Severus became ill and died at Eboracum (York) later that year after proclaiming victory. Caracalla subsequently became Augustus and then murdered his younger brother, Geta.

EFA78754-38EA-4D62-9722-5E6727B08EB5.jpeg 45F1887B-2B50-4B80-938E-1F86E7980060.jpeg
    RIC Vol. IV, SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS, Denarius, No. 335

Obverse: Septimius Severus,, Laureate head facing right
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: SEVERVS PIVS AVG BRIT

Reverse: Victory (Britannia?) seated left writing on shield

B9C3C772-0803-40EA-A567-0B522335C558.jpeg 80AA1858-B1CC-4CD5-85F8-7CBF9260F1D9.jpeg
    RIC Vol. IV, CARACALLA, Denarius, No. 231a

Obverse: Caracalla, Laureate head facing right
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT

Reverse: winged Victory advancing right holding trophy

C72BD5D2-ED06-43C4-AD54-4FFF3AFBB547.jpeg 2139D38A-DEA1-46F7-AD14-AABCF4D1778A.jpeg
    RIC Vol. IV, GETA, Denarius, No. 91

Obverse: Geta, Laureate head facing right
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG BRIT

Reverse: Victory standing left holding wreath and palm branch

17. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

18. NicholasMaximus

Fair point @dougsmit , I have always been intrigued by the mystery surrounding Crispus. We will likely never know why Constantine killed his most capable son.

I have read theories involving a relationship with his mother (or her possibly lying about such a thing out of jealousy). I have read theories about him wanting to make room for his sons with his new wife.

But nothing is truly known about this chapter. I can’t help to think that the empire would have had far more success in the hands of Crispus. At least Constantius II was able to unite the empire after his brothers fought and Magnentius took over from the winner, Constans.

JackBlueDog likes this.
  19. NicholasMaximus

@Roman Collector @Orielensis

As you can probably tell from my profile picture, I am a huge fan of Marcus Aurelius. His selection of Commodus as heir is his great mistake, and the dedication he had to his son, despite many red flags, is puzzling.

It seems like such a contradiction for a philosopher-prince like Aurelius, especially considering it was a break from a very successful tradition of adopting heirs.

I have to believe that his training of Commodus over the years and his belief in his own DNA to translate into success was key in his decision. Despite his stoicism, would a man like Aurelius be able to avoid arrogance in his own self ability? He had to believe that Commodus would take after him and rise to the occasion.

I also think it’s worth pointing out that Commodus did have some bad luck as emperor. If the ancient sources are to be trusted, he certainly did not handle his bad situations well.

20. NicholasMaximus

Thanks for sharing that story @ominus1 that is a beautiful car. They don’t make cars to last anymore, craftsmanship is disappearing.

Thanks @Shea19 , those are some incredible coins. Great portraits and nice eagle reverses with a detailed SC. Really nice.

JackBlueDog likes this.
  21. NicholasMaximus

@Alegandron

I love the reverse on your Philip I.

I was going to get offended by your comment invalidating the very legitimate, Roman Philip II, but then I saw the reverse on your Macedonian Phillip II. I just couldn’t be upset anymore lol.

JackBlueDog and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted