Featured A Prooflike Flying Eagle Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great image Jason. You may not be able to catch everything in just one image. You might try a higher F stop and a tiny amount of tilt to the lens. You probably did that already. Really nice coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Congrats on a really great find!

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

<shameless-self-promotion>
    Send it to me. :D
    </shameless-self-promotion>

Very cool coin, though. Can't say I've ever seen a PL Flying Eagle. Have you determined if this die pair was used on the proofs?

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I did not do that already. I played with several F-stops, but did not tilt anything.

I have not compared it to proofs. I don't have the Snow book, which I think would be the most useful.

PM me your address, and I'll give you a chance at this thing.

6. messydesk

I have the latest Snow book, so I'll let you know what I see.

7. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

8. physics-fan3.14

An attractive Lincoln for sure, but I'm not sure what it's relation to this thread is.... It isn't prooflike, and it isn't a flying eagle....

9. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

Check the rims on the Lincoln.

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

A new thread would be best to discuss your coin @mas4492

11. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

(A PL Indian cent is even harder - and PL Lincolns are just not found).

12. physics-fan3.14

Correct.

And yours is not a PL Lincoln.

13. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

"And yours is not a PL Lincoln."
    Ahhh...there's the rub.
    I feel it is.
    Now it's a tie.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

This is why you should make a new thread, so discussion will occur surrounding the coin you posted.

:stop:

15. physics-fan3.14

Well, Messydesk has done it again. This guy is a wizard with a camera! Take a look at his pics below. He also attributed it for me, and after conversing with Rick Snow, it may or may not be a really rare die variety of a Proof. I'm going to show Rick the coin in hand at FUN in January - so stand by for more details. In the meantime, here's a little eye-candy:

[​IMG]

rooman9, McBlzr, Aidan_() and 5 others like this.
  16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I love it. Seems plainly a Business Strike, yet (for an FE) a 95th percentile strike, especially on the obverse. Messydesk's images make it plain to the experienced viewer what the fields would look like in-hand, even without overtly demonstrating reflectivity.

Another way of approaching imaging would be with either axial or ringlighting; I've had good luck with the latter on Proofs. I have a 9" Circline fluorescent fixture - meant for a kitchen ceiling - through which I've bored a hole in the center big enough to stick a lens. Really gets the "black and white" look:

IMG_0005a_zpsfa2dbfbf.JPG

rev1774 and JPeace$ like this.
  17. messydesk

Glad you like the pics. I asked Rick about it as soon as I was able to send him the pictures and he said 80% chance it's a proof. It's the Snow-PR1 die pair.

18. physics-fan3.14

I was joking with Sir Messy that I'm probably the only person on the planet that would be disappointed if this turned out to be a Proof, instead of a Business Strike. I am collecting Prooflike coins (which are, by definition, business strikes). The FE cent is very difficult to find designated PL - if this turned out to be a proof I would sell it and have to re-commence my search. However, if you look at the price guides, the proofs are worth just a little bit more...

rev1774 likes this.
  19. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@physics-fan3.14 , if it's a proof Jason, that's a huge find. I know you are collecting PL designated coins for your collection, but wouldn't it be hard to let go of a PR Flying Eagle Cent? Yours appears to be the small letters type. There were only 200 of them made. There were only a total of 300 proofs made that year. If it were me, and I am not making any recommendations here, but I'd want to keep it. Good luck in it's assessment. Please keep us informed.

messydesk likes this.
  20. messydesk

Most of the 200 are with the low leaf reverse (inner, thin, spiky leaves of wreath are below baseline of CENT). This is the high leaf variety of which Rick Snow says there are 5 known, with this being the 6th, I guess. He actually has an NGC PR65 for sale on his website. I would probably grade Jason's a PR64, but I'm not that experienced grading proof FE cents.

JPeace$ and rev1774 like this.
  21. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Whether proof or PL that is a heck of a nice coin!

Draft saved Draft deleted