Featured A Prooflike Flying Eagle Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Aug 28, 2015.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Some series are very difficult to find in a prooflike condition. Some are nearly impossible. Prooflike copper is incredibly hard to find - across all series. I've been looking for a prooflike Flying Eagle for a long time, and while I've watched a couple cross the auction block, bidding has always been spirited. (A PL Indian cent is even harder - and PL Lincolns are just not found).

So, when I saw the current coin come up in the recent ANA Stacks auction, I knew that I was going to go all in. Over the past year or two, prooflike coins have been really hot. Fortunately, they seem to have cooled off again. I was able to win this coin for significantly less than my max bid, and for about half of what an example sold for at Heritage a couple of years ago.

The Flying Eagle cent was a very short-lived series. The patterns of 1856 are very popular, but regular issues were only minted in 1857 and 1858. The 1858 coins are divided into two subtypes, the Large and Small letter varieties. Prooflikes are known for 1857 and 1858 Small Letters; no 1858 Large letters have been designated PL. Out of the entire graded population for the series, only 9 have been worthy of the PL (and I'm guessing at least a couple of those are resubmissions). 64PL is the highest grade.

My coin is an attractive coin. The strike is average, showing some weakness on the wreath and feathers. The surfaces are attractively colored, and exhibit light die polish. There is a small lamination under the date which detracts some. Minor spotting on the reverse also tends to limit the grade. The mirrors are not terribly strong, but strong enough for the PL designation. In hand, this coin is clearly different from a typical business strike. It is graded NGC MS-64PL, and I am extremely proud to add this coin to my set.

Taking pictures of this coin was incredibly difficult. I am still not completely satisfied with these pictures. I tried using some tips from Mark Goodman's book (which helped), but the results are still missing something. If anyone has any experience photographing proof or prooflike Flying Eagle cents, I'd be willing to hear what you recommend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Curtisimo, sprag, Bigpoppa and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

That's a super coin Jason. As for photographing PL coins... my recommendation would be to send it to Bob!! :)

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Looks like a beauty.

two questions:

1) Is that damage below the 1 in the date? Or a strike thru?

And are those scratches in the field above the date left?

5. physics-fan3.14

1. Below the 1 in the date, there is a small lamination. This is a mint-made error, and should not detract from the grade (usually, small laminations will detract from the value slightly)

2. The curved, horizontal marks in the field above the date are slight contact marks. The very fine patch of parallel diagonal lines is die polish.

Mic123 likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Thanks, still a beauty!

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I should look as good at 158! Sheesh, I'm already a VG-F on my way to:

[​IMG]

dwhiz likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

One of the best look Flying Eagles I've seen.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looks like the cost of a freshman's first year of tuition at community college (NY Metro). Lovely coin but my 4th born needs a bit of help this year.......

Nice pickup dear fellow and the pictures ain't too bad either. :)

10. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

11. Treashunt

?

Huh?
    80 what?

12. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Lovely Flying Eagle!

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Very nice coin.

14. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Unless I am wrong Frank the 8O is an old school emoji. Think of it as bug eyed and mouth ajar, or in other words a way of saying its a very nice coin!

Like WOW nice

15. Treashunt

thanks, I was lost on that one

16. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

Rare coin indeed, I actually love the planchet issue as it helps prove its circulation strike origin.

17. physics-fan3.14

Thanks!

The rounded rims, weak strike, and die polish all do the same ;)

18. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

True but with mid 19th cent proofs it is the collective net of the attributes that speak to the true nature the method of manufacturing. Any one of the things you mentioned could be found on an actual proof and on top of that are open to interpretation which requires seeing lots of coins to compare against. A strike defect is more of a visual sure thing that even a novice of the series can pick up and make them feel definitive.

I only mention because IMO the ambiguity of prooflike vs proof philly mint coins is one of the things that holds prices back compared to branch mint examples.

19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I am peanutbutter and jealous!

treylxapi47 and William DeBerry like this.
  20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Very nice Jason.

Draft saved Draft deleted