A Pound of Ptolemies

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jan 18, 2015.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Well... almost a pound. I'm 40 grams short. Guess I'll buy another coin :D. It's a great series to collect and there are hundreds more I could justify adding to the set. I don't even have all the denominations yet, much less all rulers and major types.

Eight of these came from one fantastic lot (Stack's Bowers, 8/20/13). That lot also included three Alexandrian tetradrachms (which I love to collect) and a very worn COL NEM. I bid on the lot primarily for the massive Ptolemy II, advertised as 47mm but I measure 48. Stop rolling your eyes... in the "mine is bigger" world of monster bronzes this is a point of pride :D. Another huge plus for that lot was provenance. They were collected by Professor James R. Eaton (1834-1897) and stayed in his family until I bought them. I guess Professor Eaton wasn't sure of some attributions either as none came in handy envelopes with full attribution. In his defense, Svoronos wasn't yet written when Eaton was alive.

I've photographed and rephotographed these coins and still am not satisfied. I also never attributed most of the Stack's coins until today. Rather, I tried and failed to attributed them. A few still have question marks. My pages and pages of notes are scattered about as I write. Literature is conflicting and/or I'm confused. I've used PtolemyBronze, their attribution software, and the online-viewable text and plate of Svoronos, etc but it's a challenge. After uploading this post I'll work on it a bit more.

I have an even dozen Ptolemy bronzes, although I thought I had one more medium-sized Ptolemy. Maybe it's misfiled.

The accumulation began out of a fascination with Zeus Ammon. More were purchased as gifts. Gifts which once again have not been given and probably won't be given. I want to keep them now!

Please pile on your Ptolemy bronzes to this already piled-on post :D

(Relative sizes preserved in this composite)
    PoundOfPtolemies-Edited.jpg

Top left to bottom, then bottom right to top:

1. Ptolemy II, 48 mm, 91.8 gm. Sv446
    2. Ptolemy IV, 42 mm, 67.9 gm. Sv992
    3. Ptolemy IV?, 40 mm, 64.8 gm. Sv1125 or 1126?
    4. Ptolemy III, 38 mm, 44.0 gm. Sv974
    5. Ptolemy IV, 36 mm, 41.9 gm. Sv1148?
    6. Ptolemy II, 32 mm, 22.5 gm. Sv760
    7. Ptolemy VI-VIII? V-VI?, 30 mm, 25.4 gm. Sv1383? 1424a or b?
    8. Ptolemy VI-VIII?, 29 mm, 24.3 gm. Sv1383? 1424b?
    9. Ptolemy II, 22 mm, 8.75 gm. Sv483
    10. Ptolemy IX, X, XI, or XII?, 20 mm, 9.2 gm. Sv1698? (what is that thing or things in the left field reverse? Might it be a cornucopia? I can't find a match)
    11. Ptolemy VIII?, 20 mm, 6.8 gm. Double eagles, no monogram between legs. I cannot determine the left field figure. It somewhat looks like a silphium plant which would make this Ptolemy VIII struck in Kyrene, Sv1158.
    12. Ptolemy VII?, 20 mm, 6.6 gm. Same dilemma as coin #11.

If anyone reading this is fluent with Ptolemy bronze attributions please chime in and correct me or set me on the right path :).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    dlhill132, JBGood, Gil-galad and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I've probably seen most of them individually, but it's nice to see the team picture. Great coins! I'm too lazy to hunt down attributions this afternoon, but if you get really stuck, you could always email Daniel Wolf at PtolemAE. He was very gracious about helping me with some of my coins.

TIF likes this.
  4. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Very nice lot TIF! I especially like portrait and the green patina on #2.

I don't own any Ptolomaic coinage yet. But that figures to change soon...;).

TIF likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Dont own any but great photo & set.

TIF likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Wow, TIF. Fantastic collection. Sorry I cannot help with the ID/attribution, but it looks like you have it well in hand. A pound you say. Put them all in a pouch and hang it from your belt! I'll bet that will weigh you down a bit.
    th.jpg

Here is my only Ptolemy bronze:
    Ptolemy IV.jpg
    PTOLEMY IV AE36
    OBVERSE: Diademed head of Zeus Ammon right.
    REVERSE: PTOLEMIAOU BASILEWS, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, looking back at cornucopiae under right wing
    Struck at Egypt 221-205 BC
    46.4g, 36mm
    SNG Cop 221

dlhill132, Gil-galad, Eng and 7 others like this.
  7. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hello TIF,

Very nice indeed, i did not know there were so big bronzes, thank you for posting this interesting set.
    inspiring
    all the best,

Eric

TIF likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Holy Smokes => one dozen yummy Ptolemies!! (they all look so tasty!!)

I'm very jealous of that bunch "and" of your smooth photography skills (you rock)

Yah, I only have a mere three examples (2 x Ptolemy IV and 1 Ptolemy X)

ptolemy zeus a.jpg ptolemy zeus b.jpg ptolemy a.jpg ptolemy IV sphinx b.jpg
    zeusa.jpg zeusb.jpg

=> you are definitely the Queen Ptolemy!! (congrats)

dlhill132, JBGood, Gil-galad and 9 others like this.
  9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice lot, always fun to grab a bunch in hand and feel the weight. There are a few reasons why I like Ptolemy coins, and one is the size and weight.

TIF likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When I got one of these (and it has been a while), I'd go to this page and try to find a match.
    http://www.megagem.com/ancient/ptolemy_series.html

I like the size and fabric of these but decided that you only need so many before you need to justify what the new one adds to the overall collection. After I got my eighth that stopped me from paying for most new ones that tempted me. I was able to talk myself into a hundred falling horsemen because of some of their differences but a lot of their appeal was the low price and Ptolemy coins of any size are not cheap. I really should buy some of the really small ones.

I do have one little thing that is different but not very high grade. I bought it because it was different but after 15 years it has not driven me to study what else there is that is not Zeus/eagle. I'm not proud of that.

Ptolemy III or VIII ??? AE16 3.2g Kyrene mint with head of Libya reverse.
    g02570bb1865.jpg

dlhill132, JBGood, Gil-galad and 7 others like this.
  11. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

TIF, alone a 42 mm coin looks huge, but your 48 mm piece dwarfs that one. A wonderful group!

TIF likes this.
  12. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

upload_2015-1-18_16-2-11.png
    Excellent group, TIF. I've always been partial to the large Ptolemaic bronzes and used to pick them up whenever I could when I was a dealer because I knew they wouldn't stay in my trays for very long. This is my only one now and I've consigned it to CNG for resale. It's ONLY 44 mm, so your 48 has the size advantage for sure!

dlhill132, JBGood, Gil-galad and 7 others like this.
  13. mithridates

mithridates Member

Nice collection of Ptolemies! A 48mm and 91.8 gram coin in there to boot, wow!

TIF likes this.
  14. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Wow, wonderful pieces TIF. :D
    Lots and lots of eagles.

TIF likes this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

When I told my own 42mm Ptolemy there was a virtual tray full of Ptolemies posted, he decided to just barge in to take his proper place. It seems some of your smaller (ie., lesser) Ptolemies got pushed practically right off the tray. I'm really sorry for that, TIF, but you know how it is with these big bronze egos...

PTOLEMY-TIF.jpg

On the other hand, I reckon you've now got about a full pound on that tray :p.

dlhill132, JBGood, Gil-galad and 6 others like this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that a fantastic group photo TIF!

i recently posted all my ptoelmy coins....but i'll post my largest again. the oblique view of a rather modest one at 40 mm....at least compared to that 48 mm ptolosaurus.

TIF was largely responsible for me getting this coin..thanks!

[​IMG]

here's an oblique view of my dobule eagle...phat!

[​IMG]

dlhill132, JBGood, Gil-galad and 5 others like this.
  17. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I'll have ham, cheese, tomato, and olives on that cut 6 ways please?

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What touches the tray stays on the tray. I'm keeping your monster :D.

It's for the coin's own good. It was lonely without other playmates. :p

Edited to add that I can't stop laughing over that picture, Z. Nicely done! :joyful:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    stevex6 likes this.
  19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Aww, man.... I should have known he was planning an escape all along. Devious Ptolemies!

20. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It looks like the ancient version of CoinDozer.

TIF, stevex6 and chrsmat71 like this.
  21. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Hi friends. I was told this coin was struck in Antioch and that it probably represents Ptolemy II. Ptolemy II.jpg Ptolemy R.jpg

TIF, Gil-galad, zumbly and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted