Crocodile surprise

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Sep 6, 2013.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I bought a 12-coin lot recently. The lot was billed as "Ptolemaic Egypt, Bronze Issues" and the limited description indicated that most depicted Zeus-Ammon with eagle reverse. There was only one picture and it showed 8 of the coins in a pile. Being a couple thousand miles from Chicago, I couldn't just drop by and examine the lot in person but the description said it featured a 47mm coin.

I like Ptolemy coins, I like big bronze, and I bought the lot primarily for that one jumbo puck, which is now the largest in my small collection (largest by mm, not by weight-- my Carthage 15 shekel is slightly heavier).

The lot arrived today. Here's a shot of the obverses. (camera charger died... making do with my iPhone)
    PtolLot12obv-eS.jpg

Hello, what's this? An Augustus & Agrippa COL-NEM?? Fantastic! I just saw that coin for the first time last week and immediately put it near the top of my to-buy list! I'd like to get one in better condition but it was a nice surprise :)
    COL-NEM.jpg

The coins did not come with attributions. They were just sealed up in plastic. I'm looking forward to attributing them :D

The assortment is ex Professor James Eaton Collection. Excerpt from the auction brochure:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Great finds love the coin !! and a nice score how much did you get them all for if you dont mind me asking ??

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Holey Moley! You found a COL-NEM in your Ptolemaic pocket change??? You just won the lottery. Well, not powerball, but still, damn...

TIF likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow!! => fantastic score, my ancient sister!!

=> I have an Augustus/Agrippa crocodile coin as well, but I like the looks/feelin' of yours a bit better than my example (very comfy and cool lookin' coin!!)

=> Oh, and yes, I also love your "head-liner" => the big Ptolemy looks nice as well ...

Congrats, in "my" eyes => super score!!

TIF likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

wow, that's an interesting lot...i dig that big top row...47 mm! the guy next to him must be almost 40mm.

i've always wondered who owned some of my coins...that's pretty cool.

TIF likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm gonna need bigger pockets if I keep buying these monster bronzes :D

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Exactly right-- the one next to it is 40mm.
    Top row: 47.5mm/91.8g, 40mm/64.8g, 36mm/41.9g

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The crocodile is the latest version dated after 2 BC by the PP on obverse. Augustus received the title Pater Patriae that year.

TIF likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a very impressive/nice haul. I own none of those type of coins. They are cool though.

Even those potin empresses look good. Is the one with green bronze disease? If so i'd attempt to treat it.

11. chrsmat71

oh, that's neato also...i luv dated ancients.

12. chrsmat71

sorry...strange double posting.

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It is verdigris and I will be treating all of these with VerdiCare.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The three later Alexandrian tetradrachms are not bad either (not the most common rulers).

TIF likes this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great find. I have one "crok" coin but it's no where near as nice as this one. Also the big hunkers are great. I find, however, they are hard to fit in a 2x2, but I'll take as many as I can afford.

TIF likes this.
  16. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

TIF, Wow off the chart pick up, if some one brakes in your house , just drop 3 or 4 in a sock,Whammmm..:eek:..lights out. i've wanted a croc coin for a while, good on you...;)

stevex6 likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Indeed! This parcel of 12 has a total weight of over two thirds of a pound. :eek:

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Heavy, heavy, hang over your head.

19. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Well that's a nice box of chocolates!;)

TIF likes this.
  20. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Cool lot, must have set you back a good amount!

21. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I like your idea of a coin club.

Draft saved Draft deleted