A decanummium upgrade

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Jan 19, 2021.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Today I finally upgraded my roached Justinian I deca to a rather nicer and larger Justinian I deca!

Previously:
    upload_2021-1-19_16-41-18.png
    Sear 167
    Constantinople

IMG_E8704.JPG
    Sear 237
    Theupolis/Antioch

I don't really like Byzantine all that much, but now I have a presentable example of every major, common denomination.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Congrats on the acquisition!

But yea, stay away from the ERE.

It's not popupar, and it should stay that way...

:p

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice upgrade. Just wait, you will succumb to the love of Byzantines...

Here's one from Nicomedia:
    Byz - Justinian I decanum lot Feb 18 (0).jpg

Justinian I Æ Decanummium
    Year 38 (564-565 A.D.)
    Nicomedia Mint

DN IVSTINIAN[VS PP AVG] diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / Large I, ANNO left, star above, regnal year right X/XX/ μ II/I, NIK below.
    SB 205 (star); MIB 118b.
    (4.48 grams / 15 mm)

6. AussieCollector

Eastern Roman Empire

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Ahh. Never seen that acronym beore. I also have to strongly disagree with you regarding them not deserving to be popular. They are quite often ugly but they are really interesting once you get into them :)

I only have one decanummium in my collection and it isn't Justin or Justinian but I think it is a pretty good looking one and it is also from Antioch. I am still missing a few other denominations of Byzantine coins.

Maurice Tiberius
    582-602 AD
    AE Decanummium
    Antioch
    Obersee: DN MAV CN P AV, crowned and mantled bust facing, trefoil or \|/ pattern on crown, holding mappa and eagle-tipped sceptre
    Large I, ANNO to left, cross above, regnal year to right, mintmark THEUP
    IMG-9982-removebg-preview.png

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

i agree that is quite a lovely example. Great details on the cuirass/gown on the emperor. Also love that accurate crown he's wearing. You even have full ANNO-Year and the mintmark. Can't ask for much more than that!

Justin Lee and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. AussieCollector

Sorry, my comments were meant to be tongue in cheek. Sometimes jokes don't translate well over text!

I am a keen collector of ERE :)

Unlike many ancients and medievals however, they are comparatively affordable, given their (relatively) low interest. The more interested people become, the more expensive it becomes for me as an individual collector!

10. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Nice upgrade! This makes me realize that I don't pull out my Byz coins enough. Below is a deca that I have photographed and on my site, but I feel I've got another that I haven't photographed. This makes me want to pull them out and check. :smuggrin:

[​IMG]
    Justinian I, Ruled 527-565 AD
    AE Decanummium, Struck 548/549 AD, Antioch Mint

Obverse: D N IVSTINIANVS P P AVG, pearl-diademed and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: Large I, A/N/N/O to left, X/X/II to right, cross above, THUP in exergue.
    References: ?

I had been trying to get examples of the various denominations as well. I've got the 4, 5, 10, 12, 16, 20, and 40... I'm on the look out (or just hoping to stumble across a deal) for the 6 nummi with S on reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted