A collection of nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by John Skelton, Sep 17, 2020.

1. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

At a coin club auction last year I picked up a freezer bag of eight nickels. There is one for each year from 1952 to 1959 and they all have some common elements:

They were slabbed by a company called SGS and they have cert numbers.

They are all from the Denver mint.

They are all graded MS68.

So what was SGS? Were they reliable or just a flash in the pan? I'd like some information on them and their reputation. I bought them partly out of curiosity and partly because I needed to fill some holes and upgrade others.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My favorite part of that usa today article:

Hal Gobeille, 64, of Mansfield, had his lawn motor stolen Tuesday from his yard in broad daylight.

Gobeille said he walked into Abon Wednesday as agents were conducting the raid. He was looking to buy another lawn mower.

"As I was leaving, I thought that looks familar in the back lot," he said on spotting his stolen mower.

Gobeille said he was mad and authorities said they would release the mower to him.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

68 is very high, lets see them. Prob 63's.

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Had they slabbed the lawn mower? What did it grade?

John Skelton and DEA like this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

SGS is(was?) pretty awful in their grading practices....but I don't think they reached top-tier TPGs who will literally throw anything into a plastic coffin :p

NGC LM65
    PCGS LM63 - details/oil stains

9. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

DMPL
    Dodgy mower procured locally

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Knowing the story behind SGS and Abon, I'm surprised those "MS68's" weren't attributed "7FS"!
    ROFLMAO 1.gif

furryfrog02 likes this.
  11. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I don't have a real problem with them, even after reading what SGS was all about. Given that I needed nickels in that date range, I can use most of them. I may have overpaid at $10 for them, but I don't mind much.

I'll probably crack them out and put in 2x2s. Then sell the duplicates.

12. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago I bought a silver proof Kennedy lot of slabbed SGS coins. I was really pleased with them, but that was because I paid slightly less than spot for them. I think some buyers think the slab is toxic. In reality it’s just not an accurate reflection of the coins actual grade. Basically don’t hold it against the coin that the slab is bad....

John Skelton likes this.
  13. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I actually like the nickels, but I don't believe the grade. Probably more MS63 or 64 than 68.

Draft saved Draft deleted