SGS coins exposed

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ERROR HUNTER, Dec 27, 2009.

1. ERROR HUNTER

ERROR HUNTER Coins,Stamps

SGS coin grading exposed

This thread is on the scam of the star grading service or SGS for short.If you visit their homepage you can see the sentence"A coin grading company specializing in grades 60 to 70, both Proof and MS" Which means they only assign the grades 60 to 70.If you submit a bill they say"Bills which receive UNC (60) or above will receive letter and number grades, and below that bills WILL be designated as either AU (Almost Uncirculated), FN (Fine), or GD (Good).A few months ago i submitted a 1936 quarter to PCGS and it was assigned MS-62.Then I submitted the same coin to SGS and it came back MS-70 proof.:bigeyes:I looked at the coin itself and it has 8 scratches and no reflective surface what so ever and even a fngerprint.I contacted the company and they sent an email saying " Proof coins - 1936 & forward and MS Uncirculated coins
    Only coins reaching grades of 60 to 70 will be graded.
    All others will be simply returned or certified.
    Please do not ship coins without an authorization number.
    All coins shipped without an authorization number will be returned.SO NEVER BUY OR SUBMIT ANY SGS COINS EXCEPT THE RARITY OF THE COIN ITS SELF.

FOR MORE GO TO:http://coins.about.com/od/coinbuyingadvice/qt/ebay_coin_fraud.htm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MoneyTalk513

MoneyTalk513 Junior Member

wow MS-70 proof. yeah ok.

4. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

big surprise

5. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

SGS is a joke. It is just another TPG that I call an "XYZ" grading company.

sambyrd44 likes this.
  6. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

SGS has been extensively examined in this forum for years. Anyone interested in exploring this company, and others like it, can always go to the search option and find out all you need to know. It's not pretty.

Bruce

7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

You'd think they would at least know the difference between Unc. and Proof.

8. Lather

Lather Time traver Numismatist

Funny, I have several that I got in Larger LOTS.. I would NEVER buy one strait out.. I never even wasted time looking at the company.. The coins were such a Joke that I just guessed that they sold empty slabs always with the grade 70 and the buyer put the coins in.. They wouldn't even grade a AU IMO,, I Just tossed them into my Pile or gave them to my Kid.. Heck I have no idea what I did with them.. Worth Face Value.. Oh and I guess I could recycle the Plastic....Yea!

Oh And ERRORHUNTER... That Blue Nickle Blows my mind!!! That is so amazing!! I have been wanting to say that every time I see it!! Dear God.. I want one!! Maybe in Blue then Red, Purple,Gold.. Wow.. A set to make a Rainbow !

9. sheepscrossing

sheepscrossing Junior Member

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

11. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

12. NotSure

NotSure I'm sure I'm NotSure

Funny...I bought a 'set' of '56 Washington Q's from them 6 months or so ago, for a very very reasonable price (I guess noone wanted it due to the coins being in an SGS 'slab'). They were both graded MS70, 1 regular reverse, and 1 Type B reverse. The Type B looked pretty nice...I figured MS64/65. Sent it off to PCGS, where it graded at MS65 (the normal reverse fit in nicely into my Dansco...matches the rest of the set at a 64/65 also, and it looks good in the Dansco). No, I am smart enough to KNOW it wouldn't grade MS70 at a REAL grading service, at least it DID grade gem 65 (they DO take decent images, I'll give them that)....hence my buying the set. Other than that, yeah, they do grade by their own standard (being either MS70 or PR70). Pretty easy standard, if you ask me. That'll be more than likely the one and only time I EVER purchase an SGS 'graded' coin, unless I can find another rip like that one.

Oh, the only other 'plus' to SGS is it's mighty easy to crack a coin from. Basically, just look at it and it falls apart.

13. sheepscrossing

sheepscrossing Junior Member

Did you notice that their Certificate of Authenticity appeared to be the "fill in your own verbiage" type. Glad you snagged a decent coin from them - course it's always Buyer Beware at Ebay.

14. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

I dislike SGS as much as anyone! Though I do give them credit for knowing how to make a zillion times as much cash as we do....

15. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I purchased an SGS certified commemorative a few years ago , before I knew their real story. I paid what I would have paid for a non-certified coin, so basically I got a free holder. If you buy without getting your hopes up, you'll probably be O.K. However, I doubt they have the ability to authenticate anything.

16. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I can't let a SGS thread go by without mentioning GEC another self slabber of similar quality. I don't even know if they are still in business. I haven't seen any of their coins on the market (ebay) for a few years, now.

Bruce

17. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Most of these self-slabbers don't rely on their coin grading business as their primary income, so they may not "slab" anything for a while. Sometimes they even switch company names if their reputation gets too bad. The best rule of thumb is never pay a premium for a slabbed coin, unless it is one of the major services.

18. NotSure

NotSure I'm sure I'm NotSure

Can you post an image of a GEC slab? That's one I've never heard of (is that the one thats shaped kinda like a toilet seat?).

19. ERROR HUNTER

ERROR HUNTER Coins,Stamps

Here is a pic of a GEC slab:

Attached Files:

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

This is more what I am used to seeing for GEC.

Attached Files:

• gec.jpg
      gec.jpg
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
  21. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

OK so in reality "SGS" stands for "Suckers Grading Service" Right ?

Draft saved Draft deleted