90% junk silver coins, halves vs. quarters and dimes

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by bigjohn56, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I would pay a little more and get the halves. You should always buy what will be easiest to resell. Look at the buy/sell spread before buying anything.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

Why can you not melt them?

4. newcoinguy

newcoinguy Member

since when has it been legal to deface US money?

5. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

6. Cloudsweeper99

My understanding is that it is illegal to melt one cent and nickel coins or to export them to be melted, but there are no other restrictions. It has always been okay to "deface" coins. People drill holes in them and make hobo nickels all the time.

7. newcoinguy

newcoinguy Member

so it is legal to melt down any coins 1/10 dollar or higher?

8. Cloudsweeper99

It would be pointless [except for silver], but yes. At least that is my understanding unless someone else has more up to date info.

9. whstler

whstler New Member

Actually, at $33 per ounce, junk silver is valued at $23.77 per dollar of face value for halves, quarters and dimes, and $25.47 for each silver dollar. So, if you buy junk silver while the silver price is $33 per ounce, you'll be paying well over 23x face value. As someone suggested, you could wait and hope the price of silver drops to the price range you want.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Or you could get into your time machine and go back to the era of the post you just quoted. :)

11. whstler

whstler New Member

Look how observant I am!!

Sorry about that.

12. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

... and the price is now just about $32, lower than when you last posted on this thread!

Draft saved Draft deleted