80% Canadian halves. Where to buy rolls?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Jul 17, 2018.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I prefer Canadian halves to American. Any recommendations as to where to buy in bulk? Provident used to stock them and sell close to spot, but they're no longer carried.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Geez, NOW you ask. The auction I was at last Saturday was "filthy with" 80% Canadian halves AND dollars.

*coins and myownprivy like this.
  4. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

yea I think prov and silvertown is where I buy mine in the past.

5. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Have you tried APMEX? I know that they sell 80% silver in bulk; not sure if they separate it out by denomination, but you could always put in a special request along with your order and hope they'll honor it.

6. myownprivy

Still hard to find any online dealers offering full rolls. But, local coin shops often sell them individually for spot. It's just hard to buy enough to fill out my own rolls.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Check mostly either in Canada, or near the border.

8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Maybe they're just too popular Privy- just a flying off the shelves.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Double post.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  10. myownprivy

I really don't think so. I'm in the upper midwest, but I just don't think there are too many Americans who buy these. And I doubt Canadians are rushing down here to buy them.

I have found a guy who has a bunch, but will sell over spot. I have another guy who has some, but not enough, who always sells at spot. The buy back on these is typically just under spot (up to 5% under), so I just have no interest in paying over spot unless it's a date I don't have. (I also collect them, but without regard for condition. Only putting together a date set by pulling one of each date out of my bullion bunch).

So, for the time being, I'll just have to stay patient and buy only a few at a time instead of rolls at a time.

My hope is, still, that when silver surpasses $20 an ounce that I will sell these back (minus the date set, of course) and profit around 25% plus have a free set.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

About a year ago, I saw an auction lot of hundreds of Canadian partial PF sets, containing ONLY the cents, nickels, and dimes. I'm guessing somebody thought the quarters, halves, and dollars made good roll stock.

12. myownprivy

It's kind of like finding cellophane US mint sets with the halves cut out. People are annoying.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Oops. I meant PL sets, not PF.

Draft saved Draft deleted