5oz Silver Bars

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, May 20, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Wanted some opinions on 5oz silver bars. Getting one a month is more in my budget than 10oz right now. Are they as liquid as 10oz or harder to sell?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Premiums tend to be a little higher for the 5oz variety. Unless you can find them cheap, you might as well just buy five 1oz rounds. As far as selling, generic silver will all sell the same.

4. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Why not consider ATB 5oz? You can still get the Cumberland for just over $100.

Clawcoins likes this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Is this an actual US Mint coin ?

6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

US mint bullion would be more accurate

slackaction1 and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  7. Speedbump

5oz ATB coins carry high premiums compared to other bullion, generic or government. They end up being more of a collectible coin than investment bullion.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I am trying to get closest to spot price. Premiums on 10oz bars are lower so I guess I'll just by one every 2 months.

9. longarm

Yes, they're US coins produced by the US mint and yes there's the bullion version and the uncirculated "P" version.

10. Clawcoins

5 ASE's I see are going for the same price. I've always wanted more silver but I prefer US Mint coins versus misc rounds though never really looked into it.

11. longarm

Last year's Blue Ridge bullion cost me around $100 when they first came out and now after checking ebay's sold listings they're selling for around $140.

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I like ASE's too but just found out recently how liquid 10oz bars are. You don't have to worry about condition and storage is pretty good.

13. Clawcoins

understandable. You'd rather buy Spot price

I don't mind paying a little premium to get ASE or similar. Right now a tube of 20 ASEs is $383 w/free shipping whereas spot is $16.49. So the ASEs are $19.15 by comparison.

14. Speedbump

Stick to 10oz bars or 1oz rounds. They tend to be the cheapest generic products available. Keep an eye out for specials on other generics like 1oz or 5 oz bars. There are deals from time to time.

Provident ended a special today for $2.19 over spot any quantity. Tubes were about $375. Very good deal.

15. Honest-Ab

Honest-Ab Member

I like the 10 oz bars for those months where I can't find an actual coin I like. I continue to"invest" and am not"settling for a coin I'm not sure I want.

16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I saw that and it was a pretty short sale. Less than 24 hours.

17. longarm

I don't worry too much about premiums because as the price of silver goes up so do the premiums. Also if you like bars and want to find the cheapest way of acquiring it then consider buying scrap silver ( flatware, jewelry and other sterling) that you can take to a refiner and have made into your own bar. They usually take a percentage of 10-12% but if you get your scrap cheap enough it pays in the long run.

Bman33 likes this.
  18. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It would have to be real cheap. Mid-States recycling and refining, the closest of it's type near me, (20 miles) charges 40 cents per Troy Ounce with a $300 dollar minimum. Then depending on the fineness you want, they will return to you 95% of the assayed fine metal content. You will wait 4-6 weeks for pick-up of your bars. That seems to be a lot of expense and effort, unless you inherited something you didn't want or need and your cost was zero. Jewelers, coin dealers etc.. must get better pricing because of repeat volume. That's my guess, not guaranteed. Coin collectors, or some average Joe off the street, doesn't get any break.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  19. longarm

I usually pay 80% of spot at the most for scrap and sometimes I find good deals in the most unlikely places like garage sales. For instance, here is a necklace/bracelet set that I bought at a garage sale last year. They originally wanted $50 for it (but because I didn't have my scale and acid test with me) I asked what was the lowest they would take and they said $35. So I paid $35 for 6.5 oz ASC (actual silver content) DSCN1295.JPG Now to find the ASC (actual silver content) you have to take the total weight and multiply it by .925 (sterling) DSCN1293.JPG In this case 217.5 which comes to 201.1875 grams ASC and to now find out how much it's worth just take the spot price $16.22 divide by 31.1 and you get .52154341 (which I'll round off to $.52 per gram), then multiply that by 201.1875 grams and it's worth $104.61. You have to have a good scale and acid test kit for gold/silver, but hunting for scrap can be fun.

slackaction1 likes this.
  20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I have both the scale and acid test. I'm not the kind of person that spends a lot of time looking at estate sales. I do go to the local ones however. Most of them have the prices at spot. They probably have family members who advised them on pricing. That's smart on their part.

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to get a scale to hunt for 925 Silver. Is it possible 100th of an ounce scale or is 10th of an ounce all you need?

Draft saved Draft deleted