5 Oz America The Beautiful Bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by dave92029, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave92029

dave92029 Member

I called two local dealers and neither have heard anything about the 5 Oz Silver America The Beautiful coins. One said he thought that they would be sold direct by the US Mint.

The Mint purchased a special press to make these large coins, but there is no word about when they will be available.

I understood that the 2010 coins would only be available in calendar 2010, and there is less than 2.5 months remaining.

Why isn't the Mint announcing the release date for these coins? Will they be sold direct by dealers or by the Mint? 100,000 mintage per coin is low volume for dealers.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

With the surging price of silver, I would imagine setting a price might be a holdup.

4. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

They will only be sold through the Mint's "authorized bullion distributors". APMEX has had them showing on their website for months but no prices. There may be some revisions and I heard they could be 2.5" diameter instead of 3".

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Posted in ATB Five Ouncers thread on 10/05/2010:

The Mint may update release dates for bullion dealers to pass onto their customers once the Mint have sufficient inventory to begin releasing coins through the bullion dealer network.

Bullion dealers online such as APMEX are currently taking pre-orders for these coins

6. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

Any word if the mint is going to also make collector versions? Is there a law that says they have to meet bullion demand first like with the Silver Eagles?

7. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

With Silver close to $24 i don't think they will sell for under $150:(

8. krispy

krispy krispy

I've been suggesting in CT threads for weeks before, weeks ahead of $22+/oz. silver that these coins will not sell for less than $150, with reasoning more along the lines of $200 range.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Only bullion versions have been reported to be in production. This was published in the 10/18/2010 Coin World article [Vol. 51, Issue 2636] regarding die hubbing differences and the quality of detail, coin specifications and production updates.

Concessions were made to allow the bullion versions of these coins in the amounts specified as discussed in several other related threads. Check Coin Update, MintNewsBlog, Numismatic News and Coin News.net all available with coverage online and in their free e-newsletters.

10. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

Yes, before the $22+ run up I was thinking $150 would get you one. Now? Could be close to $200. It really depends on the mint's bullion distributors though. Looks like they'll be paying at least $130/ea and if marked up 25% = $162+

11. KGMe

KGMe New Member

How do I place a pre-order? I've set up alerts, but I don't see any method for reserving stock.

12. krispy

krispy krispy

pre-order/alert... it's an 'alert', not a pre-order. set up an alert, when Apmex has them in stock you get an alert then you must place an order, they will deliver after the date they indicate that they can do so.

13. KGMe

KGMe New Member

OK, did that. Thought there might be a way to put down a deposit and reserve stock that I was missing. Thanks for clarifying.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

At the moment they don't have authorization to do so. The legislation only authorizes the bullion version.

No, and the legislation lets either the Director or the Sec of the Treasury (I forget which) to decide when they have produced enough bullion coins. They do not have to try to satisfy what ever demand there is for the bullion coins. So if they get authorization to make the numismatic versions they will be able to do so even if they can't make enough to satisfy the bullion coin demand.

16. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

I would have preferred to see 2 ozt coins. Easier to store and/or display, more affordable and making more silver available for products like proof and uncirculated eagles. Of course, they forgot to ask me first.

17. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I agree copper. These " hockey pucks " are a bit much IMHO.

18. krispy

krispy krispy

A hockey puck is vulcanized, hard rubber measuring: 1" Inch thick (25.4 mm) and 3" Inches in diameter (76.2 mm).
    Hockey pucks weigh between 5.5 to 6 oz (156-170 g).

By comparison, the America the Beautiful 5 oz. bullion coins specs are: 0.16" of an Inch thick and 3" Inches in diameter (76.2 mm).

puck.jpg 2010.10.18_CW_3in5ozAtB.jpg

kolnikov likes this.
  19. SilverCeder

SilverCeder Active Member

LOL Krispy! The coins are a tad prettier though IMO.........

20. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

Not to offend anyone, but I will not be buying any of these as I don't consider them any more than glorified art bars product by the US mint. I believe you can purchase silver for bullion far cheaper than what these will be sold for.

21. krispy

krispy krispy

No offense taken... although, we don't know what these will be sold for, and they may be cheaper or comparable to buying 5 oz. of ASE from a bullion dealer, like Apmex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.