5 Ounce Silver Coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by GoldFinger1969, Aug 7, 2020.

1. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

On Amazon I've found 5oz. coins for fairly cheap... around the $140 range

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Wow...thanks for the heads-up. Have NEVER bought coins from Amazon or their 3rd-party sellers.

DarkRage666 likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

Didn't see any cheapos just now...a few at MV or a bit above...a few at asinine prices looking for a sucker. :D

5. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Yeah, I was just looking for the ones I saw a few days ago but I didn't see them... I wonder... Did they sell out or were they fake?

6. GoldFinger1969

My newest 5 ouncer:

2013 PF69 5 oz Snake.jpg

2013 PF69 5 oz Snake rev.jpg

Attached Files:

ddddd likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

That is true that some are more popular than others. I like the Wedge Tailed Eagles. I collected the Koalas as well but only focused on 1 oz and 1/2 oz silver (some of the early years have great designs).

The Lunars I like as well (some more that others-Dragon, Tiger, Monkey, Rabbit, Ox...the snake is probably my least favorite).

And milk spots are one of the factors that contributed to me stopping collecting modern bullion. It is wise to buy some of the older designs as that can be a sign that they won't acquire milk spots if they haven't already (not guaranteed but certainly safer).

8. GoldFinger1969

When you say "modern bullion" you mean graded coins ?

You go back 2-3 years (?) and if there aren't milk spots by then, should be OK. Go back 5 or more, chances are really small that they'll develop then.

Maybe there's a thread here or elsewhere about when the "danger period" for milk spots is past.

ddddd likes this.
  9. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

10. GoldFinger1969

Nice....so it's just in the OGP ? No protection ?

11. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

It was shipped to me in a plastic casing. Have not opened it.

[​IMG]

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

By modern bullion I mean any of the series from the 1980s through today (Eagles, Maples, Kookaburras, Koalas, Lunars, etc...). I would buy the current year releases (mainly Australia but also Canada), but some would get the spots (mainly Canada; the Lunars also would occasionally spot). I collected both raw (Lunars, various Canadian, Kookaburras) and graded (mainly Koalas and a few random items from different countries). Over the last few years I sold many based on a combination of the spotting problem and becoming more interested in classic coins.

13. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I bought a 5oz libertad about a month ago and totally love it. I've owned a 5 ounce panda and ATB coin but love the Libertad in the large size the best.

14. GoldFinger1969

That's a GREAT coin in the large size...I want one on my WishList, just waiting for the right price.

BEAUTIFUL coins.......:D

15. GoldFinger1969

I'm not sure I've seen a 5 oz. Panda -- gotta look. I remember someone had a 10 ounce or larger GOLD Panda at FUN.

I'd grab a Panda -- I think I have more of the 1 ouncers than any coin, even the ASEs. Ditto the Libertad. But I don't want to pay a gross premium of over 150% for it which is what I see now for a graded PF70 (would save some $$$ and go with a PF69).

16. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I had a 2013 panda and the detail was washed out I thought. I bought the Libertad on APMEX they had a 4 hour flash sale awhile back with a very reduced premium.

17. GoldFinger1969

I think I have bought from APMEX before....they might still send me emails from time-to-time....but I never got a notice about any "flash sale." :(

18. GoldFinger1969

Wow....I offered $50 less than the asking price (about 20% less than the BUY NOW)...and it got accepted.

Another Wedge-Tailed Eagle for my collection....:D

Tater and ddddd like this.
  19. GoldFinger1969

And just to let you in on something you already may be aware of.....you NEVER KNOW what the trigger point is for a sale, so don't be afraid to come back even a drop higher when negotating.

I raised my bid only $5 and the offer was accepted. That's about 2.5%....hard to believe, IMO. So for some reason, with an extra $5 we had a sale and $5 lower we didn't.

Go figure....:D

ddddd likes this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Sometimes it can be an auto-decline or auto-accept. eBay allows you to set each one up. The seller could have a $200 item and the auto decline is $150 or lower while the auto accept is $155 or higher. The way to know is if you receive the decline or accept right away. If it took some time, then the seller was manually replying (and then it is a bit odd for $5 to be the difference between a decline and accept on a large dollar amount-unless that was the difference between breaking even and losing money and the seller was determined not to lose money).

21. GoldFinger1969

I didn't check at the time, not sure I can check my offer and offer accepted time stamps.

I wasn't aware of the setting of automatic reject/accept levels, thanks !

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted