$5 gold commemoratives; should I buy?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by corbin512, Oct 25, 2017.

1. corbin512

corbin512 New Member

Hello,
    I've been buying silver bullion for a couple of years and have recently started buying gold bullion (mostly US and Canadian bullion coins in gold and silver). A family member has offered to sell me his $5 gold US commemorative coins (90% gold) for the cost of the gold content of the coins; no added premium.
    I've been reading online and I'm getting mixed answers as to this being a good investment.
    My concern is that I'm reading that the $5 commemoratives are not IRA eligible where as all my others coins are, does that not make them a good investment? Another question I have is would I be able to sell the $5 commemoratives for their gold value to a dealer or will they give me less since they only come with a COA telling the weight and metal content as opposed to bullion coins which say it on the coin itself?
    I'd appreciate any feedback, thank you!

FYI, he is trying to sell me the Jamestown, 2008 Bald Eagle, and 1987 constitution $5 gold coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

If you are paying the cost of the gold in them I would snatch them up.

If anything you can wait for gold spot price to rise and then sell them.

I think many here will balk at the term "investment" especially having an IRA of Precious Metals. I use PMs for "wealth storage" but not as an investment. Just look at charts of PMs over long periods of time, like decades, and then decide if they are a good "investment".

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Almost all of them follow spot or the melt value price including the two you mentioned. So buying them at spot is decent but as for investment you're going to be relying on spot value increases as they are likely never going to have a numismatic premium.

5. corbin512

corbin512 New Member

Thank you for the advice! I'm new to stacking bullion and I have only purchased and have yet to sell.

6. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

Normally wouldn't recommend buying PM as an "investment" especially the commemorates because of the higher premiums.
    However like others are saying i would buy any gold commem at spot. You could gain with rising PM prices or get lucky with a valuable numismatic coin. Kinda of a win win. You could also sell and take profits for "investment" gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted