400th Anniversary of the Mayflower

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Sep 23, 2020.

1. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

while poking around at the Royal mint i noticed they are selling US Peace dollars (Random Dates) and the US GLD Buffalo, i have never seen this before and i usually make a purchase or two from them every year?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes and they sell old coins as well and graded coins. They act as a dealer as well as a mint

UncleScroge likes this.
  4. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That 1920 PCGS MS64 Pilgrim half was pretty nice, with its subtle toning. A really good friend of mine in Greece really, really wanted it, so I gave it to him or swapped it to him at a very "friendly" price a couple of years ago (he had always been very generous with me in the past).

I've missed having once ever since. As I mentioned earlier, I am supposedly descended from William Bradford (the Pilgrim governor shown on the obverse) through my maternal line. So it's kind of a "must have" type for my collection. (I like "ship" coins, too, so bonus points for the reverse design as well.)

One of my Romans recently sold, so with the proceeds of that sale (plus six more dollars), I just acquired this 1920 NGC MS65 in an old "no-line fattie" holder. It is a small upgrade from the previous one and I reckon that's my "Christmas present to myself".

hwv5ly6068zx.png

h7yskyrby3zc.png

9i5s949yqwbr.png

robec, green18, Jim Dale and 2 others like this.
  6. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

A Very Nice Find. So, now the world is right.

I got mine a couple of months ago . . . PCGS MS63 Pilgrim Obverse and Reverse MS63 PCGS.JPG

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    buzzard, lordmarcovan and Jim Dale like this.
  7. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

Noticed the US Mint has the Gold Mayflower coins back on sale and there are plenty of them

LakeEffect likes this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The only problem I had with the "last chance" buys from the mint was that I ended up with a not so nice coin. I bought this MacArthur Unc. $5 gold, and it was obviously marked up. It also had some spotting issues that do not show up in the photos.

MacArthur Unc $5 O.jpg MacArthur Unc $5 R.jpg MacArthur Unc $5 R Marked.jpg

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Seriously, people don't return a previously sold out hot coin because it's perfect....

Casman likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I was not aware that the MacArthur coin was ever "hot." People tried to capitalize on the low mintage for the Uncirculated variety.

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

That's also something people do - they spend a lot of $ to have it graded express (so it's within the US Mint return window) and if it doesn't come back a 70, they crack it out and return it.

WHen the mint does their order reconciliation, they will sometimes have a # of new stock to sell so the coin goes back on sale for a few units.

After that period, any on sale units are returns.

12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Just picked up this 400th Anniversary Reverse Proof medal in original mint packaging. Like the design, and managed to get it for original mint price. Seller’s pictures, as it is on its way. Mintage is only 20,000.

8BC935C3-F99B-45E3-803E-96956E58A5AC.jpeg D8B1A6EB-DEFF-4A2F-872D-C0488628B0F1.jpeg

dwhiz, lordmarcovan and Garlicus like this.
  13. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

It wouldn’t be express it’d have to be walkthrough. The mint return window is too short for express. I doubt most would pay for Walkthrough only to return. More likely it would be cracked out and sold raw. Neither idea would be bright enough however to offset the loss.

baseball21 likes this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Walkthrough would eat up basically all the profit on most things anyway. The defective returns are from collectors that either didn’t like the look or knew it had no chance at a 70

15. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Best Answer, screened then returned.

baseball21 likes this.
  16. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Because it looks like a cartoon. I wonder if any of the designers have a grounding in tradiitional metal arts. Maybe they can take a tour of the Metropolitian. They seemingly have zero feel for the material or the methods. And you see what other countries are doing and you are left with head scratches wondering why out coins are consistiantly so badly designed.

18. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

BTW - the Mayflower was from Holland, FWIW.

UncleScroge likes this.
  19. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

In the back of my mind, I knew that the Mayflower was from Holland. Is there any records of the people that sailed on the Mayflower? Any Dutch citizens? I know that the English people that sailed had to go to Holland because the Church of England would not allow any other churches in England. Or that's the way I remember it.

Draft saved Draft deleted