Roman Empire: silver denarius of Julia Domna, wife of Septimius Severus, struck ca. 196-202 AD

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 11, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. 8

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. 7

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. 6

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. 5

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. 4

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Roman Empire: silver denarius of Julia Domna, wife of Septimius Severus, struck ca. 196-202 AD, Laodicea mint
    JuliaDomna-frame.png

Obverse: IVLIA AVGVSTA, draped bust right of Julia Domna right.
    Reverse: CONCORDIA,
    Concordia, seated left, holding patera and double cornucopiae.
    Issuer: Septimius Severus, Roman emperor (193-211 AD)
    Specifications: Silver, 3.04 g. Laodicea mint ca. 196-202.
    Grade: NGC XF; Strike 5/5, Surface 3/5, "lt. scratches". Cert. #5770260-004. Purchased raw.
    Reference: RIC 637, RSC 21, BMC 593.
    Provenance: ex-Künker am Dom, Germany, via MA-Shops, 19 May 2020.*
    Notes: Julia Domna was the wife of one Roman emperor, Septimius Severus, and the mother of two more: Caracalla and Geta.
    Comments: It was that grey toning that did it for me, though perhaps not everyone might find that appealing. Personally, I think it is quite handsome, though in the matter of style, the face of Concordia on the reverse does have a rather space-alien-like appearance. It seems the Roman die engravers of this period were not always as skilled as their Greek predecessors.

JuliaDomna-frame.png
    JuliaDomna-Photovision.jpg
    JuliaDomna-black.png
    JuliaDomna-gradient.png
    JuliaDomna-white.png
    JuliaDomna-coinscape.png
    JuliaDomna-oldpix.png
    JuliaDomna-slab.jpeg

014514S

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Your coin has good style and toning but loses points for centering of the reverse. Mine have different faults.
    rk5460bb0073.jpg rk5470bb1048.jpg

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Mine

[​IMG]
    RI AR Den Julia Domna 200 CE Felicitas Isis Horus RIC 577
    Ejected from the @dougsmit collection

6. lordmarcovan

Ejected, huh? Doug just threw it at you, did he? ;)

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Yup. ReThink about it: @John Anthony sold it from His auction from Doug’s collection. John usually mailed across the country to me. I received it fast, never having to worry about coins shipped from John. A lot of mail gets tossed into a jet, that flies approx 600 mph. Have you ever been on the receiving end of anything going 600mph? :D

Ejected. I stand by it.

lordmarcovan and DonnaML like this.
  8. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Actually, she was an original "Bond" girl; she probably didn't realize she was sitting on the ejection seat! :D:D:D

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My favorite Julia Domna -- she doesn't exactly look happy, but still, I think, looks much less sour and bitter than in most, as well as a great deal younger! I've posted it before, but am glad to do so again.

Julia Domna, AR Denarius ca. 201 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, hair waved vertically and fastened in large bun in back, IVLIA AVGVSTA / Rev. Isis, wearing polos on head, draped, standing three-quarters right, head right, holding the nursing infant Horus in left arm against left breast, with her right hand holding a wreath or other ring-shaped object against her chest, her left foot against prow, right, and her left knee bent with Horus resting on it; to left of Isis, rudder rests against altar; SAECVLI FELICITAS. RIC IV-1 577 (p. 170), RSC III 174 (ill.), Sear RCV II 6606, BMCRE 166. 18x20 mm., 3.35 g., 6 h. Ex. A.K. Collection; ex. CNG Triton XX Auction, Jan. 10, 2017, part of Lot # 614, No. E027.

Julia Domna  Denarius - Isis & Horus Reverse - jpg version RIC IV-1 577, RSC 174, Sear RCV 6606.jpg
    Julia Domna - Isis & Horus (Obverse).jpg

Julia Domna - Isis & Horus Reverse 3.jpg

10. lordmarcovan

Just make sure the 600-MPH ejected coins don't hit any brick walls or anything. Maybe put up some cushions or airbags or haystacks or something.

I wouldn't recommend a catcher's mitt. The thought of a 600-MPH denarius to the eye is not a pleasant one.

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Alegandron

I’ve been tossed around / ejected at approx 600mph for most my career in bidness travels. It was funny to get luggage lost in Asia, but you could see they loaded the mail prior to your departure...

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I only kept one from each mint:
    Rome
    rl6030bb0702.jpg

Syria
    rk5540bb0296.jpg

I am running out of coins to kick out.

Marsyas Mike, Bing, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice coin... I gave it a 7. I have one of these from Laodicea as well. I actually give a rating to all my coins in my catalog database, and note that I scored mine below a 6.5.

Julia Domna - Concordia.jpg

My other one from Laodicea, below, I gave an 8. o_O

Julia Domna - Den Juno Cockerel ex AK 2566.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted