400th Anniversary of the Mayflower

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Neat. Hadn't heard anything about Mayflower commemoratives. I am a descendant of William Bradford, the Pilgrim governor.

[​IMG]

4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

5. CoinCorgi

6. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

David Betts likes this.
  7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Not much press around here about these. As someone who owns the 1921 commem I think these are pretty neat. It’s just a matter of picking which offerings I’m going to go for. The offerings are a little weird. Two reverse proofs and then the two standard proof sets. I don’t think I can swing all of them and don’t really want to. What do you guys think will be the most popular/hardest to get? Fairly low mintage on all of it. I might go for the silver set, and the silver and gold reverse proofs. This is a fairly historical moment being the 400th anniversary. I just wonder how popular these are going to be? Do you guys think everything will sell out in the first 15 minutes? Just wondering how difficult this is going to be for my household to get one. What do you think they’ll be on the aftermarket?

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Frankly, the mintages point to this being another Mint-sponsored field day for Mike Mezack, flippers and other assorted backed-up septic tanks.

UncleScroge and Mainebill like this.
  9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yeah they’re really low mintage. Figuring that if I want any of them it might be best to get directly from the mint and if they eventually go down I guess it is what it is but if the price goes up dramatically I probably won’t spring for them on the aftermarket. People aren’t going to re-list them on eBay (with fees) to sell them to you at a loss.

10. CoinCorgi

It's a U.S. Silver Medal! I'd have been interested if it was in fact an actual commerorative Coin authorized by Congress (i.e. a Half Dollar) to go with the classic commerorative's.

I'm not interested in the U.S. Gold Coin (which the Mint has the authority to mint as a COIN). I'm definitely not interested in the 2 British Coins (Gold and Silver). And why on earth would I want a Silver Medal???

Virginian, UncleScroge and buzzard like this.
  11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The mint (US Mint) has been issuing silver medals under existing authority for a couple years now where it thinks there is demand and no legal authority for a coin.

off hand and a light search of the mint's web site:

* 2018 World War I centennial (Dollar coin + 5 service medals)
    * 2019 American Liberty High Relief (19DB product id)
    * 2019 American Veteran's Medal
    * 2020 Mayflower (20DX)
    * 2020 End of World War II (20XH)
    * 2020 Women's Suffrage (Dollar coin+medal, 20CM)

12. CoinCorgi

Yep, and medals from the Franklin Mint are just about equivalent dreck.

Virginian and Burton Strauss III like this.
  13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I often wonder why people worry so much about this. It's a round of pure silver with a design on it, produced by a US government agency, that is intended to commemorate an event and not intended to circulate. The same agency that would produce an official, approved, commemorative with the same material on the same machines. Beyond that you're worrying about semantics and I think putting way too much value on Congressional approval. With this same logic an argument could be made that no round piece of metal is collectible or worth anything.

I don't collect medals either but if one grabs me, ....meh, I'll buy it.

14. CoinCorgi

I have no problem with medal collectors and bullion stackers. But semantics matter. Coin collecting vs ephemera (exonumia).

15. Burton Strauss III

Besides one of the things about art metals is that they're supposed to show the best possible version of the design for whatever your commemorating.

You don't have to put six legally mandated slogans all over the place, you don't have to put a date, you don't have to limit the relief so that it stacks in a roll etc and so on.

So when you have a medal that looks like it was created by a blind squirrel it's really sad.

Oldhoopster and CoinCorgi like this.
  16. LakeEffect

Given the mintages (below), the high price, and the general malaise toward mint offerings, I don't think there will be any trouble getting these items. I don't see a sell out, although I could always be wrong. Not a buyer myself.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 083745.png

Penny Luster likes this.
  17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The gold set might do well. If there's demand for it in the UK beyond the 500 piece allotment, then that'll put pressure on the US sales. I'll just wait for the person I sell this stuff to to send out his pre-sale buy offers. If he doesn't, I won't bother with it.

LakeEffect likes this.
  18. LakeEffect

Perhaps, but with spot gold almost $2000/oz, the two coin set contains almost $1000 in bullion value alone.

Curious to see where the price lands.

19. Burton Strauss III

LakeEffect and capthank like this.
  20. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

The US Mint dropped a goose egg on this. Was really excited about this but medals are not for me.

21. Burton Strauss III

Mint doesn't have a choice... Coin was not authorized by Congress.

Time and Tide wait for nobody.

Draft saved Draft deleted