40 % Silver Coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Alright, tonight I am shooting for auctioning off $34 face at melt value. There's a guy that loves this stuff and I hope that he is there.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Sold one roll of 40% tonight at my club for 5XFace.

Nathan401 likes this.
  4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

How did you do?

5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I sold one roll of the 40% Halves for 91% melt. I'll take it. Lot better than what a dealer would pay. On the other side I sold some 90% at 14XFace which was just a little higher than melt at the time. Sold some Superman Maples for $3 over spot too.

6. Nathan401

Nice!!!

7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Sold $24.50 of 40% at 5.5 X Face to a dealer today.

8. Nathan401

Decent price.

9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's Provident Metals Buy Back Price Today.

10. Nathan401

Roll searching is fairly new to me, I had that big score on my first go at it, a few weeks ago. This is an item I've purchased on more than a few occasions. Not so many bullion stackers love those 40%ers, and it keeps the price reasonable for me, I love 'em!!! Lately I've been giving them to my youngest ( 14 months) He likes to clink them together, and he's been learning to put them in the slot on one of his piggy banks.

Bman33 likes this.
  11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I sold a roll of 40% Thursday night too for 5xFace. 5.5 was nice today.

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, I am not mathematically inclined, but I want to be on top of things when I sell my 40%. So to calculate face value I am using (.2958 * spot). Does this sound right?

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Use coinflation.com melt calculator.

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Wondering what the market is like on 40% right now. I get anywhere from 80-95% melt from dealers. Anyone selling or buying 40% right now?

15. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

I found 3 Wartime nickels in 1 roll a few days ago. They aren't really worth much but I will hold them and see if I can get it up to 100 in a year or 2. I find more silver nickels than anything else. Not worth much but I will always buy them out of the tills.

16. Jhowi001

Jhowi001 New Member

17. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

Buy them as far beneath melt as possible, with an 85% max. These are not popular--and I don't want to hold them. But I bought 150 of them 18 months ago at $1.50@. That gives me lots of room to negotiate---if I encounter an interested buyer. IF !! I've managed to sell 50 of them at 8-9 estate sales, all slightly above melt.

I had 100 of them at an estate sale this weekend, and was asking for a 5% premium. No bites and no looks. Guy bought 90 or so junk Morgans, and I asked him if he wanted the 40%ers at 5% under melt. "F%#* NO!!" was his reply.

Only junkier silver are those stinkin' blue war nickels.

slackaction1 likes this.
  18. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Due to Coin Role Hunting I have been stacking the 40% Halves. It seems to be all over the board as far as how much I can get for them. I did have a dealer give me 6xFace this last weekend for 50 coins. Have no Idea how that happened when spot was $16.81.

Nathan401 likes this.
  19. Nathan401

Some here will knock 40% Halves, but if you put them on ebay with a no reserve, they will sell at spot PLUS a small premium. every. single. time.

Bman33 likes this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If you can find dealers to sell 90% to you at 6.5x and buy 40% from you at 6x, I think I want to hire you as a middleman. :)

tpsadler and Bman33 like this.
  21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

It was a crazy show. I think the 40% guy messed up on his calculations. What happened was I wanted to trade my 40% for a 10 ounce bar. He sat there on his phone and that's what he came up with. I was confused but knew something was in my favor and got the bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted