40 % Silver Coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah they are not making much but if I read it correctly, they're buying it at $4.55 per face.

Provident metals. They only drawback is that they won't buy back unless it's over $1,000.00 in total value, not face value. You can sell them whatever other bullion you want to hit the $1,000.00 minimum. So you can sit back and stack rounds, bars, 90%, 40%, Eagles, foreign bullion, etc. I did not want to mention the website because last time I did someone here called me a schill which I am not. I just did some research and got to the bottom of where I want to dump my 40% when I feel it is time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Well provident is a solid site and I doubt they plant forum posts. I appreciate you mentioning it. The $1000 minimum is tough though.

4. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Provident is currently over 5x... you can get them cheaper on ebay...

5. Lon Chaney

He's talking about selling, not buying.

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

With the price of silver up I'm seeing 40% Kennedy's going for 6x face on ebay. In my research with coin shops, coin shows, and my coin club there is still not much of a demand for this though.

7. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I never bought 40%, but I can see the wisdom in getting some now. They were minted a while ago, so they might even pick up some numismatic value eventually. I really like war nickels, and they used to go for really close to the spot price of silver, or even less. You could even find them in rolls of nickels.

8. Lon Chaney

I highly doubt 40% halves will ever pick up numismatic value.

9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I agree, except maybe a 1970. I believe that was a low mintage year. Have you ever pulled one?

10. Lon Chaney

Well yeah, 1970D was NIFC. Didn't mean that one. And no, still haven't found one in the wild, unfortunately.

Edit: mint set only NIFC, not like current NIFC halves they sell in rolls.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Was the 1970S NIFC too?

12. Lon Chaney

Yeah, it's a proof. All proofs are NIFC by definition.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I agree.... but on the bright side for those so inclined, there are a number of interesting varieties that can/could offer additional potential.

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Sold $30 face value of 40% for 4.25x Face today at a coin show. Not the best of deals but I just wanted to get rid of it. Should pay for my cable bill this month.

CoinZone likes this.
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

So I am looking at selling some 40% at my coin club Thursday night. I am actually going to put them at auction. Provident Metals has them going at $5.93 face. I know if I try to sell to a dealer it will be at a much larger discount. A few months back 40% was going at melt at my club. Should I put my reserve at slightly under melt or melt at the auctions at my club. Any opinions would be nice.

16. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

I usually collect about a rolls worth of 40% Half Dollars then sell them. The money I receive each time I sell I save it till I have enough to get a 1/4 oz. gold bullion coin. So it is worth it to stack them for a short time.

Bman33 likes this.
  17. SilverTracker

Oh yes I just found a 1970D from a teller's draw in good condition. It took me over 3 years to find one in the wild but they are out there.

Bman33 likes this.
  18. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Great find. I bought a 1970D for $10.00 at my coin club a couple of months ago. It's BU straight out of the set.

19. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

How many are you selling? And what type of people are buying? Are people buying a few per lot or rolls at a time? Also, were these "free" from hunting or did you buy them at bullion prices? If you got them at face value from hunting, set a reserve below melt as you are going to make money pretty much no matter what. Look at what APMEX and Provident are buying at and use that as a guide.

I can usually pick up 40's on ebay by the roll for melt or a few 1% under if my timing is good. This means the seller is getting less than melt after fees and shipping. I usually only buy these off ebay when there is 4x or 5x ebay bucks promotion to bring down the net price even more.

20. SilverTracker

It was a really strange find to be honest. The teller had $ 17.50 in halves and 5 of them were 40%er's. I received 5 in BU condition (including the 1970).
    The pic is below but the quality is really not to good.

Attached Files:

Bman33 likes this.
  21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have 3 1/2 tubes of 40% that I got hunting and paid face value for. Provident's buy back is $5.36xface. I was thinking of auctioning off each tube separately. Now there is another option where I can try and sell at my own table where it would be free with no fees or taxes.

Draft saved Draft deleted