40%ers & War Nickels for 1oz Silver Rounds (maybe some Gold)?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by alucard86, Feb 7, 2017.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not sure how far the shops are from you or each other which kind of determines what makes the most sense. If its just down the street you could part out everything to which one is paying the highest for that. Obviously that doesn't work if you have to drive all over town with gas and the time commitment it would take.

I would strongly recommend not doing the .99 cent ebay option especially as a new seller if you don't have an established account. To many .99 cent auctions go for pennies on the dollar there.

eBay is an option but just remember paypal will take fees on top of ebay and you have to buy shipping supplies and pay for shipping. I'm not sure what the current market is on ebay for the 40 percent, but I believe you will be better off just selling the ikes to the shop once you factor in fees and shipping. I'd probably just go to the shops unless you wanted to start exploring starting some eBay selling on the side it will be a lot of time and effort. Now if you check completed listings and see that you would net a whole lot more for them on ebay that is an entirely different story, but if it's close just take the sure thing and save the time and effort

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Have you considered selling via the BST section here? You'd probably come out better than either shop or Ebay

4. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

The whole lot? Or some like the Kennedy lot, War nickel lot etc?

5. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

I think shop 1 prices for the Blue Ikes, Brown Ikes, and 1973 Brown Ike is fine to sell out.

6. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

How does sending money via PP work here? Do I add or subtract the 2.9% +0.30c to my price for the buyer? Or accept money orders, cashier checks, or USPS money order?

7. Blissskr

You can do it whatever way you're most comfortable with. But from my experience people usually offer Paypal and have one price if someone sends it to you friends and family which is fee free and another price which is 3% higher if sent for goods and services as that way PP charges the seller a 2.9% fee +.30. You could also accept M.O.'s, it would just take a little longer as I'd make sure you cashed it and it was good first (also why I prefer USPS money orders as they can be cashed at any P.O.). I personally have had good success buying and selling here as you tend to get a better deal as a buyer and get more money as a seller.

8. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

On PP do I have to mark them as a Friend/Family, or does the buyer on their end just select send $ to friends/family in the US and puts in my paypal email account?

I guess I'll give this site's for sale section a try on the 40%ers, war nickels, and CAD silver.

Blissskr likes this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The person sending money makes the distinction within paypal

Blissskr likes this.
  10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Great job on the research! If my math is right you are getting about 81% melt with the first dealer. With that you could get a nice AGE! You are loosing 19% though. Selling would be a hassle for me but if you think it's worth the little extra dinero you will get then go for it. It will take some time though.

11. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

So if a newbie like me were to sell here on the For Sale forum what would be a reasonable sell price for my lot? I would ask for PP (friend/family), USPS M/O, or bank M/O.

Thank you for the math breakdown. I was kind of hoping for 90-93% spot for the lot.

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

90-93% percent might be tough here but it can't hurt to post it and see what happens.

13. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

Thanks. I take it with 90% silver and maybe 80% CAD silver will usually equal 90-95% spot?

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

90% silver goes for at least melt or more in my neck of the woods. Dealers give me spot for my 90

15. Blissskr

I'm not sure if the guy you're asking for advice has ever sold on the forum but I have at least 20 times. I'd start by asking for spot, for some things you could get over spot imo depending on condition (Ike's). I've never had a problem getting spot for U.S. silver (excluding war nickels) when selling here on the forum. Although it's likely you may not find someone for the entire lot at once though so you may have better luck by offering to separate it. I'm not sure about the Canadian stuff as I've never sold any of that.

16. mostly_broncos

mostly_broncos Junior Member

OP , What's the deal with the loose 40% ikes ? Are they beat up or uncirculated but just out of the packaging ? Are they all blue ikes or is it a mixture?

17. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

On the wholesale networks 90% is being bought at a discount today.

One other thing to consider with refiners; many charge a batch fee for small amounts.

18. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

Thank you for the insights. I guess I'll wait to sell them off, but I for sure will try here first before heading into my LCS. My plan is sell my lesser quality silver coins (40%ers, War Nickels, CAD silver that's not 80%+). Either put the $ towards my first Roth IRA or put towards a future home buy as I pay off my wife's student loans. Loving the Dave Ramsey's debt snowball (ironic b/c he hates PMs). The company I work for has a 401k but I'm looking to add a Roth IRA as well.

19. merrill01

merrill01 Member

I have found the only way to sell is on E-Bay. Create an account and take alot of pictures.

20. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

Stopped at LCS today. Buying war nickels at 60 cents each and 40% halves at 2.05 each.

21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it illegal to melt cents and nickels in the USA?
    Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted