3 different 1968 no S dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pippypowerful, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Pippypowerful

Pippypowerful New Member

I'm sure 99.9% on here have more knowledge than me about this coin, my profession is in Dentistry. I have 3 dimes in pictures,which are all 1968 no S . 2 are most similar and one stands alone.
    The one looks and feels smaller, rim is very pronounced, lettering very easy to read and the number 8 is not flattened compared to. The size and angle of roosevelt is different, detail can be seen easily and the shine or coating is different. Any knowledge to share is appericated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I assume you realize they're Philly coins, so the lack of an S holds no significance whatsoever? Beyond this, I am unfortunately unable to see the coins well enough to comment, one way or the other. Perhaps you could post clearer photos and/or point out exactly what your concerns are?

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Pippypowerful

"Shine" is a term that collectors do not use. You must be thinking of the mirror finish of a proof coin, and that maybe one of these is the "No S" variety from a proof set. Sorry, but none are.

Chris

Pippypowerful likes this.
  5. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Those are just regular 1968 Philadelphia mint coins. Were you looking for the 1968-S (no S) proof coins? Those aren't going to turn up in circulation as they were only made for proof sets. Those coins would show a very reflective surface.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Business strikes. What you need is something like this.....

DSC_2310.JPG

As opposed to this.........

DSC_2306.JPG

Notice the difference OP?

7. Pippypowerful

Pippypowerful New Member

I do! Thank you so much . It's always nice to get a reply you learn from instead of a correction reply with nothing to learn from. Very valued and appericated. As i mentioned...I am not a coin collector...yet. However, I am intrested in becoming knowledgeable on the topic so I can become one. Thanks again.

John77 and green18 like this.
  8. Pippypowerful

Pippypowerful New Member

Thanks you for taking time to reply. I appericate it.

9. Pippypowerful

Pippypowerful New Member

Thanks you for the reply. I appericate it very much.

John77 likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

Just as an FYI: the quality of a response can often depend on how clear the question was. Ambiguity begets ambiguity.

11. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

One of the biggest problems I've seen in coin forums is how new members are treated. There's nothing I hate to see more than a response to a newbie which might upset them or scare them off from coin collecting altogether. We all got our starts somewhere, and it's a shame some people seem to have forgotten that.

a_squuared and Pippypowerful like this.
  12. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

You're welcome! Always glad to help.

13. BooksB4Coins

Here is the OP's only other participation on this board...

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/sword-spear-showing-through-monticello-nickel.281638/

Nowhere has she been treated with anything less than respect, John. If you're so concerned about how newbies are treated, start following the "is this a 'double die'" threads; sooner or later you'll see some real mud thrown.

14. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Thank God for the ignore feature.

15. BooksB4Coins

Being as actually thinking before speaking is monumentally difficult for some, perhaps we should leave this at a simple good riddance.

Draft saved Draft deleted