2K to burn on a double eagle

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by RhinoEmpire, Mar 4, 2016.

1. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

I have my eyes set on an 1874 Liberty Head $20 Double Eagle - 100 years before I was born. I want the coin slabbed by NGC or PCGS, but am not sure when to pull the trigger and on what coin.

So for all you Pre-33 gold freaks, what would you do? Should I buy the best coin for under $2000, or should I throw some additional funds at it? What should I look for?

Modern coins are easy, but this one has me kind of stumped. Thankfully, 1874 Double Eagles are relatively common - more than 1.6 million were made, so I can get a little extra bang for my buck.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

When I buy gold, my inclination is to buy the best grade I can afford. But I haven't had a target date like yours. Study auction prices. Good luck! Sounds like a fun project.

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Don't kid yourself . . . 1874-P double eagles are not common. You'd get more grade for your money with an 1874-S, but more value with a lower grade 1874-P.

- Mike

5. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

You've asked the right group for sure!

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Buy one slabbed. I'm sure they are out there.........

Santinidollar likes this.
  7. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

CDN MS60 bid on a 74-P is $2200 and 74-S is $1800. I'd shoot for either coin.

8. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

What is CDN?

9. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Coin dealer newsletter

10. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

There are several "Granite Lady Hoard" Eagles that were recovered from the US Mint after the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. Cool story to go with a great coin, but they seem lack luster. ~ $1700 XF45.

image.jpeg

11. Santinidollar

If I was to buy a double eagle, I'd shoot for a slabbed one unless I knew the dealer REALLY well.

12. Santinidollar

I thought about your idea, which was pretty neat. So I went back 100 years from the year of my birth to see the prices for double eagles for that year and maybe do what you're doing. Safe to say that ain't going to happen!:confused:

13. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Absolutely pay up for GEM quality -- MS-65 or better.

I wouldn't even buy one without the TPG slab. Not unless he is an expert grader.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Find a nice PCGS/NGC AU 58 with great eye appeal and preferably a CAC sticker as well.

He would have to make the new highest graded for any of the 1874s so thats not happening for that date

Draft saved Draft deleted