25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set PRICE WATCH

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Danr, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

OK, back to topic: 25th Silver Eagle Anniversary Set PRICE WATCH

In relation to the set price: My local coin show had about 20 sets and everyone had the same price on them. I personally saw 5 sets sell to 3 different people for $750.

I've watched ebay and tracked prices since this mania happened and the "low" for a 5 coin set was on or near Dec. 20th, BUT have slowly and steadily increased in price since. That's not to say that a set here and there is not sold at rock bottom, I'm talking trends.

Fatima, you may ultimately be correct with your theory concerning the "S" coin and the RP being the only collectible. I think you're wrong, but really........who cares? No one on this forum is shaping this industry.

--Your quote and adding the context didn't change the primary thought (which is why I didn't include it). But just so you're happy and I don't miss quote you:

"
    I wouldn't bother to get any coin graded in this set beyond the RP and if the grade comes back 69, then you lost money. The label/slab buyers are looking for 70s, the rest really doesn't matter. These are not rare or historic coins. Slabbed ASEs that grade to 69 or less, fall back to bullion prices."

You know how many American Eagle MS69 coins (any year) sold for bullion OR within 15% of bullion on ebay out of 147 PAGES?

1 coin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fatima

fatima Junior Member

And my commentary wasn't directed towards current Ebay prices. You missed or ignored the accompanying statements on this marking initially being driven by coin flippers, then later by true collectors. My reference was in the later collector driven market.

There was a request made on people's opinion of coin grading and my response was in regards to that. I really wish you would read that I post in context.

4. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

I've read all the posts and sorry you don't understand my summation thought process. You're mixing statements thinking they are directed at you and they're not. I just don't have the time to explain.........and not very argumentative at the moment. The one question I'll leave you with: How can you say ANY American Eagle from ANY year in MS69 falls back to bullion if 1 coin in 7,350 sold for such?

5. fatima

fatima Junior Member

If you quote me, then I assume you are directing the post towards me.

6. goldmember

goldmember Junior Member

My opinion would be to sell them all separate. I think you will get better money for your 70's that way. I haven't check many prices on the 69's, but it might be worth picking up a 69 S-mint or two and selling 69 sets. You would need to research to see what the individual 69 coins are selling for compared to 69 sets. One way I agree with Fatima is that the money was better for people who sold early on (for the record, I don't agree that the prices will drop any more than they already have, or that the only important coin is the RP). If you sell off 2 or 3 of your 70 S-mints, plus some 69 RP's and other 70's, you should be able to buy another 70 RP and have 2 full 70 sets for free. Good luck and, in my opinion, you don't need to hurry to sell as I think the prices are on a slow climb now and you will never see lower prices for any of the coins (assuming they have been graded and have the set label; without the proof it was part of the set the prices will settle according to the type of coin).

7. chip

chip Novice collector

I would, (if I were in your boat) sell one of the mixed sets for coins for your son, keep the 70 set for him, and wait to see where the price goes on the others.

I think there will be the ineveitable fall off after the first flush of the price spike. I half expected it to be under 500 by now, but it seems to have held into the high 600s, as the glut from the flipping ones dries up, I expect the set to gain back.

If you feel the economy is starting to recover the prices will probably rise again, if you feel that the economy is on a downward path, you might be better off to sell 4 sets now before the price falls further.

Congratulations on a son, I am one up on you though, I got me a grandson this year.

8. maxxy_coin

maxxy_coin New Member

I guess this 2011 25 anniversary set is going break records.....now a box of 5 sets sells over 4000$.:devil:

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I just checked ebay and the last two 5 box sets sold for $4500 each. Wow, I'm glad I haven't opened mine yet. It is tough to look at though.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

11. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

The prices, especially unopened boxes seem to be going up nicely! Dealers seem to either be all in or all out with this set. My local dealer thinks they are going down and will settle around $600 with the reverse proof making up half of that. BUT, he said a good dealer friend of his in Baltimore is buying every single one he can and has over 100 so far!!

12. debordj

debordj Debo

Most NGC 70 sets selling for $1200-1250 this weekend.

13. debordj

debordj Debo

Agree - I have been selling piece by piece on eBay and generally u will get a better price; however....

69 RPs are going for about $275 on eBay. U will need to sell 2 69s almost after fees to pick up a 70. The spread is starting to increase.

The other coin that sells well is the W proof. I think this will be a conditional rarity in 70.

14. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

And I agree with YOU debordj. There IS a separation happening between 69 and 70. That could possibly be the reason unopened boxes are selling higher.

The other separation I've noticed is between NGC and PCGS. Originally the two 70 sets were very close and now it's several hundred dollars.

15. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

It's also several hundred dollars difference in the cost of grading between NGC and PCGS when grading five sets of 25th anniversaRY sets. The PCGS First Strike label costs, I believe, $17.00 per coin. That's $85.00 per sets or $425.00 for five sets in addition to the cost of regular grading.

16. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

17. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Midas, noticed the bump.....or maybe you just wanted a response..?? Well, I agree with you. I knew there was a cost difference which is why I was so confused when NGC and PCGS 5 coin sets were selling within $75 of each other. Also, I don't have the latest populations, but doesn't PCGS have fewer MS70/PR70 as a percentage of total graded 25th Anniversary coins compared to NGC?

Lastly, mine are still in the box, BUT if I would have had them graded, I wouldn't have paid for 1st strike or early release or any of that BS. Talk about paying for just a label....jeez! BUT, to each his own and people want (and will pay) for what people want.

18. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Irish2Ice, I deleted my second post because I managed to get an answer to my question, I need two NGC FS "W" PF70 coins to complete my four out of five 25th anniversary sets.
    After i buy the two NGC FS "W"PF70 coins I 'll have three MS/PF70 sets, one MS/PF69 set and five 69/70 coins left over.
    It seems the "W" PF70 coins sell for around $130.00 each. I found a source but their user agreement and return policy is different from what I'm used to. I posted a message re: them here:

http://www.cointalk.com/t199174/#post1355444

W
    hat's a bump? I don't know the overall numbers but PCGS coins, all thing being equal, sell for a higher price. Does this reflect the higher cost of PCGS grading? I don't have any PCGS graded coins and haven't been following the thread. I've read here at cointalk they tend to be stingy w/ "70" grades when compared to NGC.

For several years I bought graded one ounce AGE and double eagle coins with some smaller AGEs to make some four coin AGE sets. Most MS70 and a few MS69. I never considered PCGS for these purchases.

I admire your will power to hold onto that sealed box. :) And i hear you re: the cost of the FS label.

19. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

It is literally killing me not doing something with that box.

20. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Last night I arranged my coins and figured out what I needed to complete the "70" sets. That sealed box you have is nice but is it as nice as arranging the coins? feeling the heft when you hold them? Putting them under a high quality powerful magnifying glass, admiring that ultra cameo finish of the PF70 "W" Some say it's one of the most beautiful coins ever made.
    Sitting in that sealed box with nobody admiring them, holding them, arranging them. . . . . . . . . . Seal box is nice, I guess. . . . . .

If you're tempted to open the box I understand.

21. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

To answer your two questions.......NO.......it is not. But yet they remain.

Draft saved Draft deleted