25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set PRICE WATCH

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Danr, Oct 30, 2011.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Just like you tried to shoot down Cloudsweeper asking him if he even owned bullion and why does he continue to post on threads about bullion? Is that the kind of "shoot the messenger" messages you are protesting now?

Btw thanks for the "I only have time to respond to important PM's" shoutout Fatima. Classy.

Sorry for OT guys, I am done.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

Actually I have an opinion to ask this group. What would you do in my situation:

5 sets graded, of the two keys, 5 s's 70, but only 1 RP 70. Of the others, at least 3 of the 5 70's. How should I sell? I only have one 70 set, but mixed sets seem to sell for 69 prices it appears. Also, I would like to trade possibly one set for a bunch of modern coins for my son, (some from 2011 and misc others). Should I sell a set and just buy, go to a dealer to trade? I don't really need the money, but I sure as heck really don't want 5 of these sets as I don't even collect US anymore, let alone modern US. I basically bought them to have one for my son who was born in 2011.

Any opinion welcome, even if its to call me a hater.

Chris

4. Clint

Clint Member

I'd definitely hang onto the set with both key 70s. Then I'd save a second set for your son. Then I'd sell/trade the other 3.

5. Cochisz

Cochisz Chief coin collector

Clint;1349107]I'd definitely hang onto the set with both key 70s. Then I'd save a second set for your son. Then I'd sell/trade the other 3.I agree with Clint on this one, 70S WILL BE GOLD DOWN THE ROAD..

6. Clint

Clint Member

If you had an opened, ungraded set, would you send in the keys...if they looked like they would probably be 70s?

ETA: what if you had 5 opened sets?

7. fatima

fatima Junior Member

I continue to take the position that only the RP will hold any long term numismatic value in this set. The rest will fall back to market prices for similar coins outside of this set and I will say this includes the S coin since the mint is going to add this coin to general production. People continue to raise the issue of the prices of the 20th anniversary set, yet then immediately ignore this fact about that set.

I wouldn't bother to get any coin graded in this set beyond the RP and if the grade comes back 69, then you lost money. The label/slab buyers are looking for 70s, the rest really doesn't matter. These are not rare or historic coins. Slabbed ASEs that grade to 69 or less, fall back to bullion prices.

IMO, if you have a bunch of slabbed 69s, then cut them out of the slab, put them back in the original packaging, and sell it as a set. You will get more money that way.

8. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

What a Debbie Downer.

Btw, I'll take every single 20th or 25th Anniversary coin you have at 15% over bullion.

9. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Who said these sets were selling at 15% bullion? Rather than call me names, why don't you brush up on the reading comprehension skills and learn to read this stuff in context.

10. medoraman

Its a fair position to have sir. I may have lost money by getting unlucky on the RP's grading. I am simply confused why you believe the S mints being made in 2012 lowers the value of the 2011. Again, does a 1915 D cent being made in larger quantities reduce the value of a 1914 d cent, or does having the mintage of the 1914 d keep it a scarce coin? I would agree with you if they announced they will produce 2012 S coins in a limited mintage of say 50,000 coins. Then that coin would be a new key, and may lower the value of the 2011 S.

You bring up the reverse proof as being the only key, yet it already had been made with the 20th anniversary set.

11. fatima

fatima Junior Member

^Why do I feel as I do about the RP vs the S coin?

Numismatic value in part depends upon eye appeal. I don't think that anyone would disagree that on a table of ASEs the RP will stand out beyond the others. Everyone wants one that collects ASEs for non-bullion purposes. The fact that the mint, so far, is only producing 2 RP issues/decade makes this an extremely attractive series to collect. If they keep it up, over time, it is a natural series. On the other hand, the mint is inconsistent with issuing uncirculated coins which means there isn't a natural series for them, and beyond hard core collectors, I don't see where people will be lining to pay high premiums for a modern coin of 100K simply because it has a S mint mark on it. Sure, there will be some, but this coins isn't going to have the appeal of the RP for these reasons.

It's an opinion and we all know what opinions are worth. I don't claim to be right about it, but this why.

12. Clint

Clint Member

I greatly appreciate your opinion. Thoughtful, logical and clearly conveyed. And you may be right. The logical follow-up would be, how collectible (valuable) will the RP be? Say, in 5 years... I assume a main point of reference would be the 2006...

13. medoraman

I agree, and collect my ancients the same way. This is the way I look at collecting.

My only "disagreement" with this hypothesis is the fact that millions upon millions of US collectors HAVE spent their entire hobby pursuing a 1914 cent with a D versus a blank or an S. Years have been spent saving to buy a quarter with an S mintmark even though the collector had a 1901 quarter already. Personally I thought it strange, but am just reacting to what I have seen US collectors collect.

14. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Would someone just close this thread already or take your stupid arguments elsewhere. If your comments don't have anything to do with the current price of the set then edited

15. medoraman

No takers at $259 for a 69 S NGC coin, but one just sold for $231. NGC 70 set just sold for $1150. I don't see any price increases happening.

Now I will edited

16. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Fatima what about this angle...the "bullion" coins will only get graded from unopened boxes so the mintage of "Certified" ones will be less then the special coins and will not continue to rise in pop reports.
    So could that not help the prices of these as for years people will be wanting to assemble complete sets of these?

Oh and it seems prices are still rising.
    I saw unopened box's going for over 4k now!

17. fatima

fatima Junior Member

I don't think this is a good prediction for these reasons:
    • The 1914D is a circulating coin from a century ago. I was widely held and used for commerce since, at the time, it had the buying power of today's dollar. In comparison the ASE is a collector's coin and won't have any connection to history. Most Americans have never seen an ASE or even know what it is but they can easily identify with a penny.
    • There has been close to a 100 years of demand to built up for the 1914d coin due mostly in part, to the generations of kids that got started collecting from common circulation due to the low costs. I don't see this happening with a set of coins that costs what the ASE25 did and which normally don't hold much appeal to those outside of bullion investing circles.
    • I admit I don't know all the history of the 1914-D, but I notice in my guide that only a very small percentage of the surviving coins exist in MS grades and these are the ones with demand. In comparison, because the ASE is a collector's coin, almost all of them are either MS69 or MS70 and because they don't circulate, will stay this way locked up in plastic holders. Much different than finding a nice coin from 100 years ago that jiggled in someone's purse. It's the biggest difference between a coin from historical circulation and a modern collectible.

18. fatima

fatima Junior Member

This would be the market of people who buy labels instead of coins. The question becomes, how much does this represent the serious collector market? If people are holding unopened boxes for this purpose, then we are still in the "lets flip coins" market instead of one being driven by long term coin collectors. That portion of the market is headed to the same destination as the "lets flip homes" concept of a few years ago. The ones that get burnt are the last ones to buy these boxes.

I've been watching prices go down. Amazon retail price has dropped another $5 to $720.

19. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Slow down fatima. Nobody called you a name. Your information is/was a downer. Everyone has their opinion and you're certainly entitled to yours.

My reading comprehension skills are quite incredible actually, but that's another matter. NO ONE said they were selling for 15% above bullion.......I offered to buy at that price based of YOUR comment of "
    These are not rare or historic coins. Slabbed ASEs that grade to 69 or less, fall back to bullion prices."

I was giving you a premium above what you say they are worth........comprende?

20. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Well... Except that you still got it wrong. The entire quote was:

"Slabbed ASEs that grade to 69 or less, fall back to bullion prices."

And bringing Mr. Context into this it was in reference to the coins that you do not want to spend the money to grade in this set.

In response to this, you responded with the trite response:

I clearly stated the RP would be valuable so this makes absolutely no sense. So you either didn't read what I posted, didn't understand it, or were just trolling. Your choice. Like I have mentioned before, address the message if you want to, but don't do it by shooting the messenger.

21. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

I bought the early RP, other than than I'll buy one each proof and unc from the mint, and anything else is just bullion.

Draft saved Draft deleted