25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set PRICE WATCH

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Danr, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

And I know several guys with 26 ASE's all housed in a Dansco. They a single coin every year.

It's a matter of perspective I guess. I think their has been a lot of hype about the series but the two key coins in the set will always be worth more than spot. IMO

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Guano

Guano New Member

Sure looks like most of them on ebay right now were circulated.

4. Clint

Clint Member

I sure appreciate your persistence in opposition and greatly value reading your opinion, so please keep it up. That said, I disagree with you in most points on this thread. I'm new to coins, so forgive where I err below...

In U.S. history of today I think there exists a resurgence of coin collecting due to the intrinsic value of PMs and recent concern with the fiat system. Sure, it may be tiny compared to the total population, but still significant. Consider the number of people who'd want to preserve value in PMs, and then consider entering the coin market. I think that blurs the line between junk 90% and bullion. The blurring goes both ways. Junk gets closer to spot, and premiums increase on bullion. It is only natural in an environment like this that comparatively more rare bullion types/years would increase in value, notably the 25th ASEs. Sure, not very exotic, and I can sympathize that the situation may appear to "cheapen" numismatics. But it is what it is. I think the disagreement in question is not unlike what I recently read in a thread about toned Morgans, in which one member compared rainbows to a CareBear catalogue. Different strokes. But to ignore the demand isn't logical.

5. fatima

fatima Junior Member

I don't think anyone has ignored demand. What's being ignored is the difference between a market being driven by flippers versus one being driven by collectors. This market is turning out just like I and a few others said a couple of months ago. The only flippers making any real money will be the ones who get in and out fast. The rest will follow prices downwards until they find out there are only two coins in this set that have any significant numismatic value. If they spent the big bucks to have them slabbed, then they may even end up with a loss. Meanwhile the real collectors who don't have these coins, that want them, have nothing to lose by waiting.

The lofty predictions made back earlier in this topic, some were over $5000, $10000, etc. are all just a memory now.

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

There is a precedent here that I think everyone is forgetting. We had almost the exact same situation 5 years ago with the 20th anniversary sets. They made 250,000 of these sets and just like this set they sold out very fast and the price went sky high. Over time, it did settle down a bit...but the key coin from the set (2006 reverse proof) is still quite valuable. Was there an initial price drop after the early hype...yes. But, the price eventually found a stable level and it has remained there for several years. Prior to the release of this set, it was the #2 key coin in the series and it still carries a substantial premium.

7. Clint

Clint Member

If prices have stabilized at all in the range of $600, that would be a great return vs. offering price: today, next year, or 3 years from now. I missed the $5-10k predictions, which are just silly.

8. fatima

fatima Junior Member

I would think you have to give it at least 6 months before anything can be said about stable pricing on these sets. IMO, there is a good bit more room for prices to come down.

9. Danr

Danr Numismatist

10. Guano

Guano New Member

How long did it take the 20th anv set to sell out..?.. pretty sure it took months not hours. There was way less hype and speculation

11. Guano

Guano New Member

When the SHTF you'll all be trading me your sets for an apple and a few walnuts.

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

If the SHTF, I think anyone with apples and walnuts better hang on to them. Even PM"S might not be desirable during this time.

13. Guano

Guano New Member

^^^You should received an infraction for using the S word.

14. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Here is an indication this is true. This is a eBay BUY IT NOW for a 25th Aniv. set where the 2 valuable coins have been removed. The buyer gets the 3 remaining coins, the box and the certificate for just $79/coin. The coins were issued at $60/coin so this is a grand profit of $57 for 3 silver coins. Subtracting out the packaging and I get a numismatic value of about $35/coin.

In the long run, I think you will see a lot of these sets stripped of the RP and S coins which will end up being sold separately due to their worth. Future predictions of collectability should take this into account.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-25th-Anniversary-3-COIN-American-Silver-Eagle-set-/360410917078

15. vonde87

vonde87 New Member

you are using an example that might not have the origanal coins. I think the graded coins are the only ones you can judge that on since no one will pay a premium for coins that might be part of the set.

16. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Do you think a charity for the Wounded Warriors Project would attempt to sell coins in such a manner?

17. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Who said what S stood for, maybe stuff? Kinda weak troll attempt.

18. vonde87

vonde87 New Member

it's not always about who you buy it from as much as who your going sell it to. Im not going pay any extra for something that has no real proof it is what it is because when I look to sell years down the road who will believe my word?

19. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It took a matter of days...not months but not hours. It was and still is a very popular set. I don't think they would have done the 25th anniversary set had the 2006 set not been a hit.

20. Guano

Guano New Member

I just looked it took just over two weeks and there was no limit on how many you could buy.

21. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

So you are arguing against yourself when you say the 25th Anniversary set will not be valuable in the future. The faster sellout should tell you that.

Or did I miss it and now you are saying that this set WILL be valuable in the future. Maybe I missed the memo......

That's ok, you can keep your apples and walnuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted