2021 Silver Eagle Design

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Randy Abercrombie, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am sure we have discussed this before but my memory cells seem to be leaking out of my ears. I did some Google searching but am left even more confused than when I started.

I know we have design changes coming in 2021. At one point I believe there was discussion of the old Morgan design. I think that went by the wayside though..... Am I correct in thinking we are only changing the reverse now with a modern flying eagle And the obverse will remain unchanged?

Inspector43 and Robert Ransom like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Eh, there are a few I wouldn't mind seeing. I've never been a big fan of heraldic eagles.

Dima and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

6. baseball21

I'd take any of them over the Morgan as I am completely against recycling old designs. That said yea they tried to get to cute with some of them, a couple could be okay with a little tweaking

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I could go for a pattern issue that never saw circulation. Plenty of them to choose from that went by the wayside.

9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

The part I am concerned about is how many variations will they produce celebrating the design change? How many will a person have to buy to keep a set? The mint will definitely take advantage of the collectors as they always do.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

According to Mike "The Mouth" Mezack, the Mint is going to cease production of SAE's at the end of this year. I think he still has too, too many outrageously-priced 2020's left in stock.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I caught a few minutes of him early this morning flipping channels. He was hawking 2020 ASE’s in TPG plastic labeled as “Emergency Issue”..... Whatever that means. Undoubtedly it meant a large premium was applied!

Inspector43 and Robert Ransom like this.
  12. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Indubitably!

13. baseball21

It was an add on term for the P's that were made when SF was shut down or slowed or whatever.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It meant that all of the West Point Mint employees were attending the annual fishing tournament on the Hudson, so production was shut down. The Philly employees don't have a tournament any more because all of the waters are polluted.

15. baseball21

Offering different versions isn't really taking advantage. Even their brutal pricing still lags behind the other major world mints who are also starting to sell graded coins now.

A RP version would be nice, the enhanced uncirculated I could do without.

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Mezack can take a bag of silver eagles and come up with a half dozen “special exclusive labels to me.”

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

18. baseball21

Half seem like they were recycled designs or close to it. I'm not overly optimistic about the new one at this point since it seems like they'll pick the easiest given mass production which wouldnt be my favorite

pomyluy likes this.
  19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Extremely cheap looking, not very good at all! Those eagles don't look like the quality that normally comes out of the US Mint at all. Hopefully they come up with something better but either way, I won't be a buyer! :D

20. baseball21

How does a proposed design not look like quality? All it can be is ugly

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Agreed, both pages worth!

Draft saved Draft deleted