2018 ASE Mis-shapen

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Don P, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Don P

Don P Active Member

I just bought some 2018 ASEs from Provident and noticed they are mis-shaped where half of the coin seems thicker than the other half? Is this a mint defect? I’ve pulled four of them like this.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I see what you're seeing, but I don't know what they might be. The best thing I can come up with s that they were slowly squashed by something and so they took that shape but didn't lose the details.

Don P likes this.
  4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Check for these specifications

Mass- 31g
    Thickness- 2.98mm
    Diameter- 40.6mm

Don P likes this.
  5. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

This belongs in the "silver getting crushed" thread

6. Don P

Don P Active Member

Here’s some thickness measurements of the worst coin out of the bunch. That deviation in rim thickness is way off the .117 inches it should be. I measured .111 at the minimal thickness and almost.123 inches at the thickest.

I emailed these to provident and waiting for thier response.

Attached Files:

7. Fender Bender

Fender Bender Member

Any news from Provident?

Don P likes this.
  8. Don P

Don P Active Member

It’s been 5 days now since submitting the questions with pictures and no response. The customer service lady told me they are swamped and it would at least be 3 days before i get an answer. Hmmm, I’ll give them a buzz tomorrow and see what’s up.

9. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

They'll probably complain that your calipers were due for calibration over a week ago. Clearly they're out of alignment... LOL!

Don P likes this.
  10. Don P

Don P Active Member

I called Provident yesterday for the 3rd time and they said again that they would bump my question up to high priority. The lady said they had 450 emails to get through and that my query on the 2018 ASE being misshapen. I guess you get what you pay for with Provident!

Anyway, I went ahead and weighed all the 2018s, and they came in 31.23 to 31.35, so they seem legit. It just seems odd that the mint would have poor quality control.

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

now I'm gonna have to check my 2018 ASEs I jsut got from Provident.
    @abuckmaster147 is gonna have to check too.

lol

abuckmaster147 likes this.
  12. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Hey Don, Do you have a facebook account? if so pull them up provident and send a messenger message to them usually answered within a few hours?

13. abuckmaster147

wow!!! all mine are off center strikes!!!! not a lot but they must have had a real bad batch of coins from Mint. I will still shop at provident it is the best in my opinion. I do not really see this being a problem and really not their fault.

Don P likes this.
  14. abuckmaster147

@Don P
    I sent them a message for you!!
    JON

Don P likes this.
  15. Clawcoins

are they really Off Strike ASEs?
    pictures ??

16. Don P

Don P Active Member

Nice. Thanks buckmaster!

Provident said they would take them back, but what if these are worth money since they're a defect? :)

17. abuckmaster147

I would but my internet was upgraded last week, And they left with a short in the line somewhere so I am at dial up speed until they come back and try to fix thursday.Luck to even get on line at this point.

18. abuckmaster147

I would keep them Myself!!

19. Clawcoins

ASE error ... a real rarity I would think @paddyman98 ??

I think mine are fine as I looked at each of them before putting them in a 2018 tube the other day.

maybe I need to go buy more !!

Don P and paddyman98 like this.
  20. Don P

Don P Active Member

The support lady on the phone told me the mint was quick to get out the 2018s, since they were behind starting the 2019 ASEs, so I wonder if these were defective. I guess just check what you get in.

21. Clawcoins

how many did you get ?

Draft saved Draft deleted