2018 .9999 gold 1/10oz. U.S. Coin proposed.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Johndoe2000$, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, maybe a smaller coin with a more reasonable premium will have better sales results.

Or maybe they're just tripling down.

I'm imagining a Photoshop of the design, scaling everything down from the one-ounce coin to the diameter of a 1/10-oz coin -- but leaving the stars on the headband the same size. :troll:

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  4. Johndoe2000$

I'm not gonna put faith in a reasonable premium, after the silver medal fiasco.

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I know they mention High Relief but the image looks like the design is similar to the pre-33 $2.50 and $5.00 incused indian heads?

6. Johndoe2000$

I don't think they have made decisions on relief, or finish. Haven't even passed the bill to create them yet. (Unless I read wrong) Don't know where they got the image.

7. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Sure don't commemorate the fractional Buffalos on their 10 year anniversary mint not like anyone would appreciate that. Instead use the same design of a coin/medal whose sales are lackluster thus far.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Sign me up !! but if it is a coin for some sort of circulation, would rather see
    only .999 way more durable the the.9999 stuff.

9. Johndoe2000$

Not sure what you mean. None of the newer gold, or silver circulate. It will be 24k gold like the buffalos.

10. mpcusa

Well, i dont know why not..LOL everything else is just about, what i meant by that
    Is .9999 is very easy to scratch or damage the Maple Leaf coin is a prime example
    In gold, if damaged it is worth less and is sent to the refiner this isnt coming from
    Me but the owner of where i usually buy gold in town.

11. mpcusa

Well, i dont know why not..LOL everything else is just about, what i meant by that
    Is .9999 is very easy to scratch or damage the Maple Leaf coin is a prime example
    In gold, if damaged it is worth less and is sent to the refiner this isnt coming from
    Me but the owner of where i usually buy gold in town.

12. mpcusa

Nice :) love those multiple posts, my computer and this site just dont get along :(

13. Johndoe2000$

Yeah, I've noticed a delay too. As for the bullion, it's better to keep them in good condition, regardless of what it is. IMHO.:smug:

14. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

1/10 gold products form the US mint that aren't eagles are usually pretty popular. It opens up gold products to a much larger group of possible buyers. We saw this with the 1/10 gold dime last year. The mint doesn't do very many small fractional gold numismatic products. The next cheapest gold offerings are $5 commemoratives which are traditionally pretty blah.

15. Johndoe2000$

The question will be how much $$$

16. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

It will likely have a relatively high premium. but that shouldn't matter much so long as they don't make too many and the quality is decent.

17. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Probably be $200+, I think this is simply a ploy by the mint to try and cover the losses they are likely adding up as a result of the design choice thus far. When you can simply roll the design into another coin program and smooth the financials out so it doesn't look as bad.

That being said the mint can't even make this coin without a new law as they used the buffalo coin program to mint the 1/10 dime, 1/4 quarter and gold Walking liberty to get around needing a new law already last year. And in that laws language it limits the design change to once every 5 or 10 years (I can't recall which right now). So if they tried to do it that way they'd technically be minting an unauthorized coin I believe without a new congressional authorization.

I read in coin world though that it's not even clear which design the mint would use for the coin with the 2015 design being in play as well. However, I'm pretty sure the CCAC is going to recommend using the 2017 design they are so proud of.

18. Johndoe2000$

I'd like the 2015 as well, (both) but I'm guessing the legislation will be specific. The 2017.

Draft saved Draft deleted