2017 silver Krugerrands worth it?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jay drews, Nov 13, 2018.

1. jay drews

jay drews New Member

Hello all I am new here , but not new to buying/stacking silver/gold bullion 95% of what I have are silver/gold eagles but was looking at the 2017 Krugerrands vs 2018 vs eagles. My question is above the 1oz of silver does anyone think 20yrs from now the 2017 might be worth more because they were the first yr minted silver coin? Should one buy the 2018 which are much cheaper or just stick to the eagles? What are opinions if any on this coin? I should note I am not a numismatic collector by nature but if something catches my eye I will buy with the future in mind.

Thanks much...Jay

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Is there a price difference?

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The 2017's were minted in low numbers compared to the 2018. 2017 had a limit, and 2018 was minted to demand.

5. jay drews

jay drews New Member

oh.dumb me I forgot that..LOL the 2017 rands are $47 the 18s are about $18ish eagles are the the same @$18ish

6. V. Kurt Bellman

2017's are under OIP, though. I paid $50 at the ANA show.

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The first year of issue is almost always heavily saved and therefore will almost always be in ready supply even decades after a coin's initial release. So by itself the fact that it's the first year of something doesn't automatically mean it's valuable.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

In this case, even the "bullion style" silver Krugs came in boxes and fancy packaging in '17. The 2018 was the first without all that.

9. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted