2017 Silver(!) Krugerrand

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by COCollector, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think that if anyone in the US is buying one of these, it will simply be that they want a "first" in their collection. Each buyer will have to decide what that's worth to them. The price of silver won't have anything to do with it.

I'm interested in seeing the proof, but with a mintage limit of 45,000, I bet the prices will drown my interest in a hurry.

sio2ga likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Then again, that silver krugerrand is "modeled" after the gold bullion coin. So it (also) makes sense to leave the topic here. ;)

Christian

4. sio2ga

sio2ga Member

It certainly isn't a gimmick: no trickery or deception.
    When I was young I bought some of the silver eagles and then went 30 years without buying more. About a year ago I started back collecting coins. Mainly eagles, Kennedy Halves, and silver bullion coins from every country (think Canada Maples, China Panda's, etc). One of the things I searched for was for a silver Krugerrand but I found out they didn't make them now or in the past.
    I think a silver Krugerrand is a great idea. Luckily I have a friend in South Africa that visits the US every year so i will get him to get me a couple of the "premium uncirculated" direct from the mint for $43 each. I won't see him until February so i will probably get one for a lot more than that when they are offered as well as a proof coin.
    I don't expect to make any money on this coin and I'm buying it because I want it. It is the first coin of its type (and they may not make any more of them) so it might actually increase in value but that isn't a concern. I would imagine there are a lot of coin collectors that will be happy to get one of these.

stoster38 and Nathan401 like this.
  5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

There's an ad for these in the latest Coin World looks like one coin will cost you $39.95 + s/h (1-4), 5-9 coins $39.90 each w/free s/h.

skrug.jpg

sio2ga likes this.
  6. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Not bad. Will check MCM. & Gov Mint to see if they're taking preorders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I didn't see them for sale on either site yet

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Cheaper than I thought they would be, for whatever reason.

9. sio2ga

sio2ga Member

I signed up for their emails and got one as recently as yesterday -- but no price listed. I looked just now and they don't have a price up yet either. I don't see how they can offer it less than SAM (South African Mint) and I was sure that it was going to be a lot more than SAM's direct price of ZAR600 or $43. I wouldn't believe it without seeing the scan of the coin world ad. I'm still puzzling over how they can offer that price. But for me, I'm committed to getting those from my friend for $43 each. At least I'll get the little blue pouch the mint is putting them in over there. I wonder if govmint/MCM will also have the blue pouch?

10. stoster38

stoster38 Member

As long as I can get the coin I don't care about the pouch lol

sio2ga likes this.
  11. sio2ga

sio2ga Member

I'm just trying to make myself feel better about paying $4 more than I would have to elsewhere!
    There is the off chance though that I might get better quality by getting it from a friend over in South Africa. The mint may send GovMint/MCM some seconds in their batch.

stoster38 likes this.
  12. ilLOminatus

ilLOminatus Member

whose portrait is it at the obverse side of the coin?

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The man who all the Krugerrand pieces are named after. :) May be a little strange that his portrait is still on post-apartheid pieces. Then again, even Mandela was OK with continuing that series. (See "And why does the Krugerrand still look like a Krugerrand?" on this page.) Kruger does not show on South African circulation coinage, and the Krugerrand is a well known and established coin ...

Christian

sio2ga likes this.
  14. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Production has been delayed.

15. stoster38

stoster38 Member

How do you know? Haven't seen any news articles.

16. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

17. stoster38

stoster38 Member

18. sio2ga

sio2ga Member

GovMint.com and MCM (Modern Coin Mart) are one and the same. Both companies are owned by the same parent company.

19. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Yeah that was posted earlier in the thread but thanks

20. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Email from MCM

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  21. sio2ga

sio2ga Member

Germany still has a lot to do with Africa, mainly because they had colonial rule their for a long time. In fact, Namibia was up until relatively recently known as "German Southwest Africa" up until the mid 1990's when they gained their independence.

stoster38 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted