2017 Silver Krugerrand your thoughts on investing in these

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, May 12, 2017.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Wasn't MCM the ones who got the NGC signed labels by him or were those not exclusive

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Maybe it,s time to call in an expert....LOL, eagerly awaiting the 2018 Krugger, that
    Should relieve the pressure and drop the price on the 2017 :)

4. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

I was hoping it was a anniversary only release. If i knew it was going to be an annual release i don't think i would have paid the premium.

Does anyone know if they are going to be silver krugs released every year now?

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Precisely correct.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Arrived today. $37.49

IMG_1018.JPG IMG_1017.JPG

Truble, ddddd and BlackBeard_Thatch like this.
  7. mpcusa

Not that i,am mr information here but i heard the release was going to be sometime
    In late October but dont quote me on that, i also heard that they were going to keep
    The anniversary Privy as well, which from a collector stand point is disappointing
    As atleast you would have the privy on the 2017 to make it a little unique, oh well
    What can you do :(

8. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

I think that the '17 Krugerrand was the South African Mint's first attempt to dip their toes into the silver bullion market and from what it looks like they sell very well but it is a special edition bullion coin. I'm honestly interested to see if they continue making silver bullion as another products which they produce annually because they are really known for their gold Krugerrand's so why not step into the silver market with a exact "replica" of their world renowned gold Krugerrand's?

9. mpcusa

I can only assume that this is a sideline for them, but what a successful one at that
    Since Gold is what lines there pockets, the Silver addition maybe used to lure those
    Collectors in to the Gold market, a good strategy if you ask me.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

If they were to continue a silver bullion series, it would be nice if they changed the design. This strategy works well for Perth and the Chinese Pandas. Plus, it would solidify the status of the 2017 Silver Krugerrand as a unique issue.

Knowing all that, we'll likely just see the same exact design in 2018. :banghead:

11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Wish they'd change the obverse.
    Maybe from Paul, to Freddie. Would still be Krugerand. ;)...:)

mpcusa likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Ar, ar ar.:p

13. mpcusa

have to give two thumbs up to to that post, but dont know if there is a huge difference between the two...LOL

14. mpcusa

The Krugerrand is a "world wide issue" and the most popular gold investment coin
    So changing something that already works great, may not make to much sense
    If we remove by boy Paul off the Krugger do we then remove the queen off just about everything else ?

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

They wouldn't need to remove Kruger or the Springbok in order to change the design. Think Chinese Panda or Australian Kookaburra & Koala. Every year those coins have the same animal but the design still changes.

Also, we can't really say that the Silver Krugerrand is "something that already works great" since it is a first year issue. And based on how the price keeps falling (and that all the major dealers still have plenty in stock), I would say the coin has been a bust so far. If this is to become a coin that consistently sells one million examples, something would need to change (and design, followed by a better issue price, would be a good start).

16. mpcusa

Well sense everybody on this site seems to have one i think the success of the
    Coin is more then obvious, as far as the price dropping that happens to all coinage
    After a few months, that,s the norm !

17. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

I like them but won't buy one.

18. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

And a leopard on the other side (the actual obverse?) whose belly is the likely destiny for springy anyway.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  19. Deadline

Deadline Active Member

What is your source for that claim? Everything I have heard and read says 2017 was a one time shot for the silver Krugerrand. They are not even sold out at the mint yet...

20. mpcusa

I heard through the grapevine that they were continuing on with the minting through the 2017 year and even keeping the 50 th privy, but again not everything
    People say is true, there,s allot of speculation and half truths, so you just use your
    Best filter...LOL

21. Deadline

Deadline Active Member

They had every opportunity to mint these in silver over the last 50 years and didn't do it, I wonder why. It seems their logic/reasoning would hold true to just do the anniversary year and be done. We shall see. Part of me wants to see it continue and part of me wants it to end. Tough call...

Draft saved Draft deleted