2017 ASE Exhibiting White Tone

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by princeofwaldo, Jul 3, 2017.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Only 6 months old and showing serious peripheral fog problems. Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon? Seen it recently on both PCGS and NGC graded coins, not sure if the planchets were properly rinsed or if it is environmental damage. The coins I have encountered all came from one source, so it may not be a widespread problem. DSCN0436.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

This is one of the many reason I prefer gold

tmnt likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This is one of the many reasons I prefer circulated junk that already displays all the problems it's going to have. That, and I'm cheap. :rolleyes:

So this white "peripheral fog" sounds like something quite different from "milk spots", based on your description? Did your source sell you the coins already graded, or did you submit them yourself?

jwitten likes this.
  5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

One of the reasons i dislike bullion graded coins, as over just a couple years
    you can get ugly toning especially if this coin is a 69 or 70 where you have
    Paid a big premium for, it,s a crap shoot !! and you usually lose :(

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Pretty much anything to do with ASEs that shows up months later is a mint problem and will likely be a widespread problem. Whatever they changed with them a couple years back has been giving a lot of problems

7. mpcusa

I wonder if its something in the silver itself or a change in the materials (Metals)
    They use my nest question is would a .9999 Silver coin do the same ??

8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Haze on an ASE is practically a marker of authenticity.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Washing process. Maybe the finish itself has issues at this point, it's all just kind of guessing but their quality has gone down for sure

10. mpcusa

have a couple that are not that old and are displaying very dark staining :(

11. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Milk spots. Here is a nice write up on the topic:

"...the cause of the spots is believed by many to be “detergent residue that isn’t rinsed off before the .999-silver planchets hit the annealing furnace. As the cleaned silver planchets get heated to scorching temperatures exceeding 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, any leftover detergent solution is inadvertently baked into the surface of the coin,” and the chemical reaction from the detergent on the coin “may take weeks, months, or even years to surface."

Source: http://news.coinupdate.com/milk-spots-on-modern-silver-coins-how-big-of-an-issue/

12. Deserttaxguy

Deserttaxguy New Member

Never saw that bad of stain, I have some 16, 17 Silver Kangaroo's that have a few very, very small spots, not really an issue. I think if you buy a whole tube at a time instead of onesie-twosie, you will be happier with the quality. Seems like any time I buy less than a tube is when I get problems.
    Good luck.. PS.. I feel like its Christmas day with all the low spot prices and stuff on sale.. Cant wait for the Mail in a few days.. good things coming.!
    Happy 4th of July folks.

13. mpcusa

It,s actually running around the rim, i will post when i get a chance !

14. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Nice write-up, thanks for posting. I have seen the same spotting on Maple Leaf coins as described in the article, typically most pronounced on the reeded edge of the coin. Have also seen it on privately minted coins. But nothing ever like these ASE coins, and in the span of such a short period of time. Interestingly, there were several 2016 dated coins affected as well, but none of the earlier coins in the tranche were effected.

15. mpcusa

there has to be reason why some do and some don't spot, finding the problem is the key.

Draft saved Draft deleted