2016 ASE $16.95

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Kentucky, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OK, got my two orders of 10 today...notice that the flips smell like a new shower curtain...plasticized PVC, don't try and keep them in these. Also, I intend to sell 15 of these, anything in particular to look at on the 5 I keep? What distinguishes better ASE's?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Eagles are the some of the highest quality coins minted. As with other coins, pick out the best looking, since you probably won't find any variations (although I did get one that had some metal from the rim "embedded" into one last year)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Kentucky likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, what I was thinking of was Full Steps Jeffersons or Full Split Bands Mercs. Didn't know if ASE's had anything comparable.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Like Garlicus stated, the ASE's rank among the best of US coins struck. The folks at West Point do a marvelous job........

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Soiled

Soiled Everyone has coin Avatars. I chose space.

7. Soiled

just bought another 10. This is the best deal on the net. Awesome. Usually buy from Fleabay or Provident.

isaiah58 likes this.
  8. Garlicus

Ron Henry and Soiled like this.
  9. Soiled

Garlicus likes this.
  10. green18

Oh the silly slab. Gets in the way of handling coins in 'the wild'. Especially with bullion. Nothing significant to pop with these.

11. Garlicus

I thought so, too :happy:
    With Eagles, if you're going to get slabbed, you have to get 70s, in my opinion. Why bother with a 69, especially if you buy them when issued? There doesn't appear to be much price difference between a 64 and a 69, but there is a nice jump when you move up to 70. (wish I learned this sooner :( have about a dozen 69s that I shoulda just bought bouillon)

12. Garlicus

Although, with a 1/10th oz coin, it makes it easier to keep track of, and not lose. Tiny little suckers, lol.

13. green18

Agreed. They are little devils.....:)

14. isaiah58

isaiah58 Member

The mints have long term contracts with specific mines. I am sure the cash infusion allows certain mines to stay afloat.

15. isaiah58

isaiah58 Member

The deal is still going on. I also just purchased 10 more.

16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

What's the best way to store these in? Take them out and put them in a tube? This is my first time getting ASE and I am not sure how to handle them when I try to get them out of the plastic and keep them in good condition. Putting them in a tube can scratch them.

17. Garlicus

I keep mine in the tube. If I am concerned about the numismatic aspect of any particular ones, I put them in an airtite or a flip.

Bman33 likes this.
  18. isaiah58

isaiah58 Member

I have coins that have been in plastic holders for up to 40 years that are fine. Some are in the cardboard holders with windows. Others are just in the pockets of plastic sleeves designed to hold the holders. I see no affects from the plastics, unlike one might see on comic books for example.

As for airtights, it might be better to have a vacuum sealer system if moisture and discoloration is a real concern. To me, airtight holders just keep coins from being scratched so are no better than the old holders I used as a kid.

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Kentucky suggested not to store these SAE's in the plastic they come in. That's what my concern was, said PVC or something.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Soiled

I know its probably cheaper, but really irresponsible to ship these coins in PVC laced flips.

21. isaiah58

isaiah58 Member

So, last night the advertisement on Facebook by govmint popped up in my feed again. I noticed a large number of comments existed.

The comments prove how ignorant most people are as to the stored value in PMs. Many people called the offer a "rip off" based on the $1 face value of the coins. This included comments as to using them to purchase something in a store. A few knowledgeable people commented on the great price, especially with the current upturn in the market.

Unfortunately the comments area is not a good forum to educate others in. Fortunately the global market, primarily India and China, understands the real stored value. Their people look at actual cultural value from the beginning of time. The US lacks this aspect, and in general it is not taught or encouraged.

Brett_in_Sacto and Soiled like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted