2016 30th Anniversary Silver Eagle mintage numbers?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by LakeEffect, Dec 13, 2018.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

My Google-Fu is strong but it has failed me in my search for the final mintage figures for the 2016 30th Anniversary Silver Eagles. Can anyone help me out? Perhaps it is still unknown/unreleased.

To be clear, I'm only interested in the 30th Anniversary release, both proof and BU, with edge-lettering - NOT the reeded-edge conventional 2016 release. Thanks!

edge-lettering.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The BU is way lower, that is certain. Are you saying that this is not yet on the Mint's website? By the way, Google, schmoogle.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  4. LakeEffect

Agreed, it's lower; that's what prompted my search. No, the mint's site has nothing.

I remember the BU coins went on sale in December. By law, no more could be minted after December 31. So the question was "How many did they mint prior to putting them on sale? A lot? Not many?"

Strolling through my vast underground vault, I happened upon my hoard BU Anniversary Editions (1 coin). It made me curious what the final tally was/is.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

6. LakeEffect

Thanks, baseball21. Browsing the coinnews.com site, I deduce the 134,925 in your article was first day sales. Elsewhere, they show 139,925 sold in 4 Days. Nowhere could I find a final figure.

I scoured the usmint.gov cumulative production figures and found NOTHING on the 30th anniversary coins.

Figures are provided for 2016 American Silver Eagles but there is no breakdown of reeded edge vs. collector's edition. I'm assuming they're lumped together(?) I find that very odd.

As of today, the numbers published are as follows:

2016 ASE Unc 216,422
    2016 ASE Proof 582,751*

*Proofs still available from the mint until 12/31/18

7. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

The reeded edge was the bullion ase with a mintage of 37 million plus. Both proofs and burnished were W mintmarked with lettered edge

8. LakeEffect

Quite true on both counts. The question at hand is how many of the lettered-edge collector's editions were minted? In proof and uncirculated? I've not seen a published figure yet.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I have two of them - now we're up to 3.

Also, keep THIS in mind: every 2016 Ronald Reagan Coin & Chronicles Set contains a lettered-edge proof ASE in it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  10. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I show the total mintage of the 2016-W proof at 691,328. It was available in four US mint offers including:

2016-W Silver Proof - 594,268 (Still available until 12/31/18)
    2016 Congratulation Set - 5,966 (Sold Out)
    2016 Ronald Reagan Coin & Chronicles Set - 47,477 (Sold Out)
    2016 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set - 49,647 (Sold Out)

Draft saved Draft deleted