2015 Silver Britannia Coins - Anyone in?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by I.L. McDougal, Jun 15, 2015.

1. I.L. McDougal

I.L. McDougal Active Member

Excellent dip below $16 this Friday, which I decided to take advantage of and add a small amount to my physical.

I found some 15' Britannias on sale for just over $18 and snapped up 6 of them for myself (in order to receive the free shipping naturally).

I buy physical without any bias towards one product or another and only look for speculative gain. In this way, I often end up with random products, and in this case I am excited to see these Britannias when I receive them shortly.

I have never purchased these before, as the premiums are usually significant due to the wide popularity on the secondary-market. Though, catching them on sale and in a dip period, the price was one that I was comfortable with.

The average price for these fresh Britannias is currently 22-25$ on Ebay, which allows me to realize a small gain right away. Though I hope to see a slightly better gain on the long-term, as Britannia's have a nice way of appreciating after their production years.

Not to mention there's quite an attractive design on the coins, which appeals to my collector side and in this case not just simply the investor in me.

Anyone else grab a few of these this year?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Argenteus Fossil

Argenteus Fossil Active Member

I personally really like the Brittania coins and own a limited amount. I would not purchase these with the expectation of them increasing in premium as much as the previous years for one main reason. The Brittania coins had a strict mintage limit of 100,000 (early years minted less than 100,000) until 2013 at which it was raised to unlimited. I'm also disappointed they discontinued the practice of changing the design every year in 2011 and every year since has been relatively the same design. That being said, I still think it's a great looking coin that you don't run across too often (compared to Eagles, Libertads, Maple Leafs, Pandas, etc.).

I.L. McDougal likes this.
  4. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

They also went from .958 to .999 in 2013. It seems since then there has been less interest and premium increase. Oh well....time will tell if that changes

I.L. McDougal likes this.
  5. I.L. McDougal

Ah, this would be the reason for the reduced pricing then.. Thanks for the update. Won't be any growth on the collector end then, but I am still comfortable with the price I paid as far as physical return might go.

Interesting bit of news from PeacePeople as well on the purity, I had thought it was an earlier increase for some reason, around the 2008 area.. not sure why that was stuck in my mind!

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Active Member

Can we know where you got em? :)

7. I.L. McDougal

This purchase I made in the sale section of JMBullion. They have new items every Monday and their prices scale off of live spot so I can make really good dip purchases there sometimes. Not always the lowest, but in this case it was. One of the couple of sites I always have an eye on.

Draft saved Draft deleted