2014 National baseball hall of fame commemorative coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by New collector, Mar 24, 2014.

1. New collector

New collector Member

The US mint site shows the mintage limit of 50,000 for the gold coin, but it does NOT give the number for the proof vs the uncirculated. Has anyone seen the breakdown? Can't decide if I want just the proof, or maybe get both. Ordering starts Mar 27 at noon.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

There is a limit of 400,000 coins across all silver options. The split between uncirculated and proof depends upon how many of each are ordered, so that won't be known until the program ends.

If history is any indication, the number of proofs sold well exceeds the uncirculated on almost all issues. If your goal is lower mintage, I would definitely look at the uncirculated coins.

Some coins look better in proof strike and some look better as uncirculated. I think this will be a coin that looks good either way.

Personally, I will be getting an uncirculated version as these seem to look better over time. Sometimes the proof versions develop spotting and what I would call a faint shine rash. I think this design will look better in matte. To each their own though.

4. Proof: 34,841
    Uncirculated: 15,159

5. onecenter

onecenter Member

Those figures may actually turn out to be relatively proportionate and correct.

6. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I literally just saw the publication for this coin and would typically stay away from a baseball themed coin, but the glove and concave design are really cool so I may get one, probably a graded example from NGC.

On the note of proof vs. UNC, on the UNC version is that mirrored surfaces on the inner parts of the letters. Like "in god we trust"

7. bg35765

bg35765 Member

I was thinking 35,000/15,000. They should have them all made ahead of time, so I would think they will be even numbers.

But looking at the history of other modern commemoratives this should be a very close guess of the ratio of proof/uncirculated.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  8. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I might go for all four of the non gold designs. I can only imagine what a nicely toned one will fetch in the future, especially if it tones up around the ball in such a way to highlight that feature. This is a good coin, I like it.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Anxiously await it's release.......

treylxapi47 likes this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I can't decide what to buy but I want one and maybe more. This should be a hot resale coin, don't you think??

11. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I'm surprised all the other professional sports haven't got in line for their free money from the sales. Perhaps it's just a matter of time before the proposals are introduced. I didn't think privately owned enterprises qualified for the program.

12. bg35765

bg35765 Member

dwhiz likes this.
  13. green18

14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm thinking I may get a extra clad half and flatten it

15. dwhiz

16. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

Is that Eastern Time?

17. green18

Yup.......

18. New collector

New collector Member

Prices are listed on the mint site:
    Gold Proof 424.75
    Unc 419.75
    Plus the surcharge of 35.00 each, plus shipping.

19. dwhiz

Proof and Uncirculated $5 Gold Coins – 50 coins each
    • Proof and Uncirculated Silver Dollars – 100 coins each
    • Proof and Uncirculated Clad Half-Dollars – 100 coins each

20. green18

Those prices include the surcharge 'New'..........

21. dwhiz

That gold one sure looks nice gold bbhof 2-horz.jpg

onecenter and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted