2013 West Point ASE set

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by PeacePeople, May 9, 2013.

1. SILVER E C-C

SILVER E C-C Junior Member

If you were really a cheap-scape (like me) you could wait for ebay to give you one of those %10 off coupons, then try to bid on a set in the $150 to $154 range in the OGP. You folks know that many people will over-buy these things, then will be looking to dump them in the fall ~ I hope.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bg35765

bg35765 Member

But for a coin like this a 69 is a reject. Looking at PCGS for last year's S reverse proof about 1/3 were graded 70 and 2/3 were graded 69. Fewer than 1% were graded 68 or below.

So why not take the chance and submit it yourself? Your odds of getting a 70 are decent, and your odds of getting worse than a 69 are nearly zero.

Personally I think the entire 69/70 thing is a scam. I have read how coins graded 69 that are resubmitted are frequently graded a 70 the second or third time around. But I'm considering submitting a couple of these sets to see if I can make some money on it.

For my personal collection though: You down with O-G-P? Yeah, you know me!

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Because I can't tell the difference between 69 and 70 so why pay more for the 70's?

5. dave92029

dave92029 Member

I have a complete set of NGC PF69 ASE coins, so PF69 is the grade that I want.

I could not buy the coins from the Mint, ship them to NGC, get them graded, and shipped back to me, for less than what MCM is charging me, so this is a Very Good Deal for ME. I have bought many items from MCM in the past and have been very satisfied.

I have one PF70, a 2005 ASE, and even under high magnification, I can not see that this PF70 is better in any way than my PF69 coins. There is generally a large premium associated with PF70 coins, but rarely any difference that can been seen. I don't believe in spending money for something I can not see.

As a Set Collector, buying Graded coins has great value to me. My bullion is purchased in Mint tubes.

The Value, to me of a graded set, is that an acknowledged third party has verified that all the coins in my set are what I say they are. Therefore, when I'm ready to sell my set, the potential purchases really do not need to physically inspect or evaluate my collection. They are all NGC PF69. The quality and content are guaranteed. Once I provide a coins NGC number, anyone can go to the NGC web site and verify what the coin is and it's grade. This enhances the value and marketability of my set in the future.

Bullion is bullion. It's either pure silver or it isn't, and grading does not add any value to bullion.

Grading provides an additional safeguard when purchasing coins like Chinese Pandas, where there are numerous fakes. The sealed NGC slab provides me the purchaser with confidence that I'm buying what I'm paying for.

It's just much easier to sell a graded coin than a coin in OMP in the secondary marketplace, and therefore, graded coins command a higher price.

6. Cochisz

Cochisz Chief coin collector

Mcm 70's for 289.00 and 69,s for 179.00 . Little steep for me.guess OGP is the way I will go....

7. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Still MCM has the best prices I've seen so for for this set. All others are going for 350-450 that I've seen. Nuts.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I ordered a couple of sets last week...they just look too cool to pass up!

The Mint website says they won't be available for shipment until 9/30/2013. Perhaps that's due to the shortage of physical silver everyone's been talking about. :eek:

Btw, has anyone heard how the "enhancements" are done?

The best I can tell from the Mint's website is that the contrast is made by a combination of "light frosting", "heavy frosting", and "uncirculated finish" on the fields and devices of the uncirculated coin. Would that be proof frosting (laser?) on an uncirculated coin?

...interesting if true! (error coins, anyone?)

[​IMG]

9. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

for perfect 70 grade at $280.00. if you don't know the dealer. the buying should be near half of that or $150.00 a set. if you knew them. than it should be around $200.00.

for 69 grade at $180.00. this one should go hand in hand with raw coin. the buying price should be around $125.00 to $130.00 a set.

of course the first few months after closing offer from the mint. you should be able to sell them (at ebay) at those prices near mcm offers. cause a lot of new comers are hungry for that. remember the buying and selling gap is very wide from the coin dealers. because they are doing this business. they have to rent, advertise, hide personnel, pay taxes and make money. usually the classic coins gap is half of selling price. example: buying $100.00 and selling $200.00.

10. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

one more thing. never never and never play the coin collecting market. this market is for the collectors to enjoy the hobby. you can play stock market, commodity market, currency market and bullion coin market. but never play the coin collection one. remember the buying and selling gap is very very wide. it's hard to play with it. keep collector's coin long term investment. and you can make money on that.

11. bg35765

bg35765 Member

I agree with you. Like I said I think the 69/70 thing is a scam.

But that is how the game is played and someday either you or your family will sell these coins. 70s will bring a lot more than 69s, and at these mark-ups the 69s are going to sell for what would be your cost to get your own coins graded.

So I liken this situation to "pot odds" in poker. Even if your hand isn't that great the small amount to call the bet is worth the chance that you'll get lucky because the payout is so large.

12. rockford

rockford Member

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I love it! Modern Coin Mart put 'copyright' on their images of those eagles. What a bunch of babies.......

14. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Just a thought.
    Do you think this might be a good investment?
    Place five orders for one set each and leave each set sealed in original shipping package.

15. heckofagator

heckofagator Member

I've never bought any slabbed coins. I have a 2013 ASE set on order from the mint, but wondering if a set from MCM might be nice, too. I was debating ordering a 2nd set from the mint before the window ends. Do you think 70 is the way to go over 69?

16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

[QUOTE=anchor1112;1720636for 69 grade at $180.00. this one should go hand in hand with raw coin. the buying price should be around $125.00 to $130.00 a set. ................................................................................................................................................................................................ I don't think you can expect to pay under raw mint pricing for graded coins.

17. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

You are too late to get First Strike eligible coins. So I would say no.
    In my opinion a better investment would be to open the boxes and cherry pick the perfect coins and return the rest.

18. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

what good is first strike on a label? I just can't seem to care about that even if I try.

19. heckofagator

heckofagator Member

Same as Britney Spears....while I don't care about her, others apparently do. Just like the first strike/early release label.

Same coin, same price, same everything between the two, I'd take the one with the First Strike label over one without.

20. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I'm the same way...I couldn't care less about "First Strike/Early Release" but looking at eBay it seems they do consistently sell for higher $$$ for just about any coin you're looking at. Bidiots, I guess....

21. bg35765

bg35765 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted