2013-W Proof Buffalo is Sold Out

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by stewart dandis, Dec 6, 2013.

1. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

Less than 18,500.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

So if the Mint stamps out 50,000 on the come buy, and they only sale 18,500 what happens to the 315,00 balance ? Do they put them in the melt pot ?

4. bg35765

bg35765 Member

Yes, but the mint is smarter than that. They estimate demand and are often content to let products sell out well below the maximum mintage.

Melting the gold or silver wouldn't cost them that much other than wasted labor making the coins and melting them. But most of the packaging would not be able to be reused (if there is a date stamped on it). That would be very costly which is why they sometimes estimate demand on the low side.

5. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

The box I received is not dated. I believe they use the same one every year. Glad to see the low mintage.

6. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

not sure if this one is sell out.

7. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I ordered 3 more reg Proof Buffs on Nov. 7th, received them on Nov. 15th. I figured they would be the lower mintage. [​IMG]
    Sent them to NGC for grading. Got my results back Wed Dec. 4th. One PF69 Ultra Cameo, two PF70 Ultra Cameo. [​IMG]
    I should have them on Monday or Tues. [​IMG]

Here is the NGC lookup verification link:

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/

Coin # 2618892-007

stewart dandis likes this.
  8. HighFive

HighFive New Member

where is the info for the sell out?

9. athrose

athrose Member

The think the OP may have the reverse proof and regular proof confused. The regular proof is still available on the Mint's website. It is back ordered, but still available.

10. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What am I not seeing?

Capture.PNG

12. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

The 18500 mintage is for the proof. You have posted the Reverse proof mintage numbers.

13. athrose

athrose Member

The OP was correct with the sell out. The latest sales figures are at 18,264 as of 1 December per the mint's website. Depending on the final sale numbers, this will put the total number of coins sold pretty close to the lowest ever I think. Anyone know for sure?

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh, sorry guys. I could have sworn the proof buff was still on sale this morning when I checked.........

15. athrose

athrose Member

It was as I saw the same thing. It would even let you place the coin in your basket to purchase. However, once you went to check out, you received the no longer available notice.

16. stewart dandis

:D....The Mint gave out 2 clues Friday morning. The first clue lasted about 10 minutes and it disappeared and then the second clue surfaced and was up for almost 3 days. I've dealt with the Mint for years and sometimes they tip their hand.

FRIDAY 12-6 apx. 10:00 am.
    Clue # 1, they had "sold out" up for about 10 minutes.
    Clue # 2, they then went to BO expected to ship 10-25-2013....HELLO???????
    10-25 was almost 2 months ago.

I knew Friday morning these were gone.
    I can lead you to the water but I can't make you drink.

Will these be the new KING?
    I'll know tomorrow about the final sales #s and it'll be about a year for adjustments on returns and such. I think it'll be close, real close.

17. stewart dandis

Those are fantastic grades, you did very well.

18. stewart dandis

Needed to sell about 600 in 3 days (wed,thur,1/2 day friday) to tie the 2008-W.
    Only sold 136 the week before. The kicker is that the Mint lowered the price Wed. by $50 to $1590. Did they sell 600 a few weeks before Christmas? That's the last question to be answered.

19. athrose

athrose Member

I almost pulled the trigger and purchased a second proof coin once I saw the lower price, but I decided to wait. The final number will be very interesting to see. I think the current lowest year is 2008 and that coin sells for a significant premium. The fact that it could be part of the four coin set may be a factor as well.

20. stewart dandis

There are a couple of good deals on PCGS PR69 FS for $1703 on Ebay now.
    Don't think they'll last long, I bought 2 and he has 6 left. Gives me 3-70s and 2-69s.

21. donnyb

donnyb Member

I hate to be a nay sayer, but I don't think even with sales below 18,000 the 2013 Buffalo proof will rise in price to any great level in the next five years. The proof Buffalo does not have that great of a collector base. But I hope so, as I have collected them since 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted