2012 Silver Eagle San Francisco Proof Set "PRICE WATCH"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by x115, May 24, 2012.

1. x115

x115 Collector

1050_large.jpg Price watch

please post your "Price Watch" updates. Its early but pre-sales are already starting to pop up.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. x115

x115 Collector

4. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

What kind of total moron is going to pay $299.00 for these when a person will be able to get them from the MInt for about $129.00?

5. onecenter

onecenter Member

I agree, let alone purchase from someone who has two negative and one neutral feedbacks with a score of 104.

6. x115

x115 Collector

I think the same thing when I see coins being sold on television.

7. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I thought that ebay disallowed sales unless you have item in hand

8. x115

x115 Collector

I'm sure he will get shut down eventually.

9. vonde87

vonde87 New Member

I just bought 3 of those what a great price! Lol. But really i dont see that as much of a price watch since anyone can list whatever price they want. I want to see what the prices will be like the day after they stop selling from the mint though.

10. x115

x115 Collector

yeah. I might have started a price watch 2 months to early. but I am curious to see if there will be a lot of pre-sales on ebay like the 25th set had. I doubt it.

11. MrCheeks

MrCheeks Active Member

I just don't see how they can allow him to have a pre-sale...and the fact that he states he's going to ship no later than June 21st. Aren't they going to start minting them after the stop selling them in July? There's no way he'd have them on June 21st. I'd be interested to see if people actually buy from him.

12. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

I don't know. Before the regular 2012 American Eagles were issued this year, the Bullion > Silver > American Eagle category on eBay was loaded with pages and pages of pre-sales.

I don't understand the draw of pre-sales anyway. It's not like they're going to run out of American Eagles anytime soon :confused:

13. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Aren't they supposedly minting to meet demand? I think this is just dumb that people on Ebay are doing this.

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

in a years time this set will sell for less than issue price.

15. x115

x115 Collector

it will be interesting to see what a 2012 PF70 reverse goes for.

2006 PF70 reverse $450
    2011 PF70 reverse $450

2012 PF70 reverse $???? $65. ?? $150. ?? more??

16. x115

x115 Collector

17. JJK78

JJK78 Member

As long as the dealers don't go crazy buying these up I think there will always be a premium for them..say if the mintage stays under 500K~ although PF70's will always have a premium.

If it goes past 500K then not so much, they will probably go for whatever standard issue proofs are going for. Doubtful they will ever go for bullion value unless silver goes beyond $50/oz...

I am definitely in for 5-10 sets... maybe more. From an investment standpoint it is not a clear winner, but I think at least a break even so might as well get them fresh from the mint while you can. Collectors are the real winners on this one~

So any final predictions on the issue price?? I am figuring $119.95~

18. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

I think what some folks here may not know or have forgotten is this...

Limited ordering window: June 7 – July 5, 2012.

While the Mint will produce this product to the number of orders received, 1 month is a short window of time to order these. Collectors will certainly order the first minute of the first hour on the first day but the window to order will close before many people will think to order. This could tamp down the eventual mintage numbers.
    :yes:

19. Clint

Clint Member

When the set was first announced, I predicted $134.99. Due to the action of silver since then, I now predict $129.99. What I find equally (or more) interesting is your prediction of mintage totals...I'll put my chip on 750k.

20. JJK78

JJK78 Member

hmmm mintage totals... I think 750K is a reasonable number, but IMHO could surpass a million depending on the price point and limits on number you can order if any. Heck i'd bet that the Home Shopping Network people wold take 10,000 themselves if the mint allows it~ not to mention all the APMEX's etc out there who are gonna have em drop shipped to PCGS for a non-relevant "First Strike" grade...

I think once the first week sales numbers come out it will also have a factor on how many more sell which could be good or bad~ Very high sales numbers in the beginning may keep the flippers away, if so the mintage could be below 500,000. We only have another week and a half until we can start to answer these questions... getting close...

Draft saved Draft deleted