2012 ASE 2 piece set is scheduled!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by d.t.menace, Apr 24, 2012.

1. x115

x115 Collector

:dead-horse:

we get it.you dislike flippers. you mention it every time some one brings up the no mintage limit.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Uhmm....no; you don't quite understand yet. I don't dislike flippers. I have no problem with somebody making some money. What I don't like are situations where people who really would like to have something get shut out because others have circumvented the rules in order to obtain more of that something than they should rightfully have and thereby others are denied it and have to pay a premium in order to have what they should have been able to have in the first place. Mint to demand helps to regulate the slimeballs.

4. x115

x115 Collector

point well taken. thanks

5. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

If they are minting the new ASE 2 coin proof sets to demand, couldn't it potentially lower the collector value? Whereas say only 500,000 were minted? As long as there is a demand for them they will keep minting them flooding the market for these types of coins like never before. I myself was hoping for a mintage limit. Maybe I am wrong?

6. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

". . . There will be no mintage limit. They will be minted to order.
    There will be no ordering limit. . . . "
    Desirability for me just took a nosedive.

7. treehugger

Geez; if enough of y'all follow through on your current lack of desire for these things, ordering on the first day could be a breeze for a change.

There have been Mint offerings in the past that have had no mintage limits and have done very well afterwards. Also, there have been Mint offerings that have had mintage limits that have bombed afterwards. Maybe you are attaching too much importance to that mintage factor. I really think given the fact you will have 2 really nice coins (1 of them that has never been struck before) for about $125.00, it's worth having regardless of what happens afterwards. Okay; that's the end of the rah-rah speech.

8. wornslick

wornslick Junior Member

I got shut out on the 25th set, but with mintage by demand it sounds like I got a good chance of picking one of these up.

9. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

How are these coins different from others ASEs? is one of them RP? Of so, I'm in. On this one i wont have to sit by the phone waiting to dial the last digit at 11:59.

wornslick,
    You can't miss on this one. Don't worry about ordering the first the day. order whenever, you'll do OK.

10. treehugger

Midas,

The 2 coins will be a 2012 Silver Eagle Proof and a 2012 Silver Eagle Reverse Proof, both with an S-mintmark. Although there have been Proofs struck with an S-mintmark in the past, this will be the first Reverse Proof with an S-mintmark.

11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Cool. Thanks Treehugger. When I was a kid I'd collect any coin with a "s" mint mark. Still like 'em.

After so many being shut out of the ASE 25th anniversary set this will be an opportunity to pick up a couple of nice ASEs.

12. x115

x115 Collector

as far as I know the two coin set is to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the San Francisco Mint at its current location

13. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

Thank you US Mint! I can now finally get a Reverse proof ASE without paying ridiculous after market prices!

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, it will be busy to be sure but nowhere near the craziness of the 25th anniversary set. I think, initially (12 PM), it will be slow but I'm thinking that things will get better after the first hour.

15. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

If the past is an indicator, we should hear how many orders were placed. Combined with the final mintage, some incite can be gained.

I don’t see much of an opportunity to flip in the short run. In the long run, it depends how many didn’t hear about the short ordering window, how many new eagle collectors come on board after the window closes, the price of silver, etc., etc………...

After the 25th Ann. Fiasco, there should be a lot of pent up demand from those who were shut out, so sales may be astronomical.

16. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Too bad they didn't do an S Mint burnished instead of the proof, so only one unique coin in this set, the RP.

Wonder if we'll get a nice box? Is there a pic of it out there?

17. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

No pic yet.

18. Plainsman

Plainsman New Member

It seems those most vocal in their complaints about the unlimited mintage of the 75th anniversary set are those who are most likely sitting on 5 unopened A25 sets. Many of us who were shut out of the A25 set are appreciative of the opportunity to own this one. I am unsympathetic to those who see a missed opportunity for a rarity to be created and a profitable secondary market demand realized.

19. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I WISH I had the 5 coin ASE set. I got pushed out. Now I've seen the ungraded OGP ones for crazy prices.

20. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Found this pic. It's the best I can do.

Attached Files:

21. x115

x115 Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted