2011 GOLD high $1,500.00, SILVER high $24.00

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Sep 3, 2010.

1. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

Hello! I would love to go to a coin show, I haven't seen any advertised around me though.

I have actually bought some metals recently, so if you are aware of current pricing, you'll have an idea of what I paid. =)

I've been pondering some other metals, waiting for my Mercury Dime design Palladium coin, whenever that comes out!!??

I do plan on purchasing more, it was my first set of purchases for this year, kinda like getting my feet wet for 2011.... I'm also pondering foreign currency but I'm not sure my brain can handle that...

Last week I had a major craving for gyros so I went to the local greek deli and stuffed my face with one! Glad you had a fun time with your dad!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

hi everybody. do you miss me. i just want to say "just hold on to your collections". i am still very much bullish on silver and gold. my prediction for 2012 is that someday within that year. gold can touch a high within $1,850.00 to $2,050.00. and silver around $85.00 to $110.00. for this year. i think gold should go as high as $1,650.00 to $1,750.00 area. silver around $60.00 to $75.00. i am talking about the high. not the quarterly or year end closing. these will be my personal prediction and my dream. bye now. i have to go. will visit you guys once in a while.

4. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

To Elaine: Thanks for popping in!! Your name has been mentioned much here in the past! New predictions.... Ya Hoo! Hope you're right.

Lucy

5. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

I love going to coin shows. I love going to coin shows because I never know what silver bars I might find. I am always buying silver art bars but I am concentrating on buying rare 1-oz silver art bars that were minted in the 1970's. I also find that if a coin show is big enough, then you might be able to find some good deals at a coin show.

6. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

I'm sorry, I don't know how I missed this and a few subsequent posts... I am amazed daily at all of the bad vibes passing along on most of these bullion threads.. seems there are some who don't like each other very well, and it shows, and I find myself looking up all kinds of things to see just what's what! Seems to be a fair amount of anger or something. Glad to learn you are still around. I'm here a year now, and am working on my very own contest.. watch for it soon!

I have learned so much here at CoinTalk, and I'm sorry there is discord. Hope it settles down.

Thank you very much for inquiring.

Lucy

7. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

I should have known you were going to talk about art bars!!! Silver that is!!! But hey, whatever floats your boat. There are no cookie cutter rules anyone has to go by,
    and the side effect is that your art bars are growing in value eh?

I will have to find one around my area one day, there has to be one.... How do you find your shows?

That's ok, at least you were able to find me eventually! We are all human here, some very opinionated? I also think some people misunderstand when someone posts something which then gets the original poster having to respond back to clarify. It happens to me all the time.

I can't believe it's been a year since you've been here, that is crazy? Time flies! You are officially part of the crew now I say!

8. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Looking back at this thread, I am glad to see my assessment was correct. I felt that silver would outperform gold by far. Now we see that gold did hit the $1500 mark at least for now. But Silver really went over the top, nearly doubling the projection. Going to be an interesting year.

gary

9. 1970 Silver Art

Since I go to some of the same coin shows in my area each year, then I get a reminder in the mail about 1 month before it actualy begins. You can also go on the internet to find coin shows in your area.

As for me talking about silver art bars.............Hahahaha! Yeah I do have a habit of talking about them. I love this art bar hobby a lot. :)

10. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

is there a link to pics of your art bar collection?

I kind of like the poured loaf/hand stamped bars myself.

11. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

After my son took me to the big one here, I am hooked ! Coin shows are great ! I met the "Penny Lady" and she offered to take my pic to post. I regret that I declined, but my biggest regret was not taking some trading stock with me. I saw a lot of silver I wanted to search, but didn't have anything to trade with or an abundance of cash. I will know better next time !

gary

12. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

If you specialize in '70s silver art bars, maybe you can help me out here-- I have a set of Franklin Mint "Jewelers of the World" collection from 1978 or 79. It contains thirty 26-gram bars of .925 silver, each one with a little gem glued to it. Would you have any idea what that might be worth?

13. 1970 Silver Art

I have been collecting '70's silver art bars for only about 3 years and I want to emphasize here that I am still learning about silver art bars. Generally speaking, sterling is the "ugly duckling" of silver since most people prefer .999 pure silver. With that said, I am familiar with Franklin Mint silver art bars that were minted between 1970 to 1975 (1000 grains and 500 grains) but I am not familiar with the Franklin "Jewelers of the World".

I have never seen the Franklin Mint "Jewelers of the World" collection on ebay and I do not have an exact idea of what they are worth but what you could do is to sell it on ebay because ebay IMO is the best place that you will get the best price for them. I am going to make a wild guess here but I suspect that you will get slightly above melt value for them. I am basing this on past observations of seeing some 1970's 1000 grain Franklin Mint silver art bars selling for just above melt on ebay.

Selling sterling silver on ebay and getting melt value for it is much better than selling it to a local coin dealer. If you try to sell it to a local dealer, then that local dealer will heavily discount it (if they accept it) because it is sterling silver and it is hard for them to move sterling silver bars and sterling silver rounds.

14. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

The official name is "The Official Gem-Ingots", and they were apparently issued once every two months over a period of 5 years from 1978 to 1983. I found a listing on the Internet and the owner wanted more than $1500 for the complete set.

15. 1970 Silver Art

Ok. Thank you for that information. I honestly did not know that. I am not very familiar with Franklin Mint sterling silver except for the Franklin Mint 1000 grain bank and Christmas sterling silver art bars that were produced in the 1970's. I do not have any sterling silver bars/or rounds from them. I prefer and collect certain rare .999 1-oz silver art bars from the 1970's (and 1980's).

16. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Elaine1970
    , so brave of you to come back. I was curious if you had any explainations on why your predictions for 2011 were so wrong? especially for silver where you predicted the 2011 high would be $24. So you are already off by a factor of 2 and it's only April ... I know making predictions are hard but I was just curious about what you think happened ... and why you didnt see it coming. Thanks

P.S. By the way, what technique do you use to make these predictions?
    (technical analysis, fundamental analysis, psychic inclinations, gut feelings, something else?)

(By the way, I've been predicting $50 silver in 2011 and $75 silver in 2012 since last Fall based on technical and fundamental analysis -- however it's looking like my predictions could also end up being too low -- although I am starting to think that after getting close to $50 very soon, silver could be setting up for a 50% retracement (of half the recent explosive run from $20 to $50) down to roughly $35 before launching higher -- in my opinion silver has run up way too fast of late for these higher prices to be stable -- a correction in the near term would be "healthy" for silver, as it would shake out the weak hands and provide a more stable base for another run higher ... which i expect silver to make in the Sep-Nov timeframe. However could silver just keep running higher? I guess it's possible. Guy Adami on Fast Money on CNBC thinks that silver could make an $8 1-day move higher anytime ... but he thinks if that happened it would be a signal to sell in the short term)

17. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

When I see PM's move like this, it makes me feeling like there's a lot of breathing in, but no exhale. I too would think it would be healthy for a pullback, (that exhale) before another march up. I am waiting for that pullback myself and will gladly purchase more in the low $30's range. However, it something were to occur where it dropped to $15 (there is a thread for this) then I would probably be hanging out here a lot more to try to find out if anyone has any clue why the large drop....

Good luck getting elaine to respond to your questions! lol....

18. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Not responding FOR Elaine, but I would like to remind anyone who needs reminding that Elaine did in fact modify her prediction a while back. I don't have the time this morning to find it, but will give it a shot later. She modified upward. Not to 50, but upward nonetheless.

Happy Easter everyone!

Lucy

19. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

yes, if you find an upward prediction, post it ... my intention wasnt to disparage Elaine ... i was just curious why she thought her initial 2011 prediciton was so wrong being off by a factor of 2 (in other words, what dynamic in the silver market did she not see coming) ...

20. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

I think it was high 30's but cannot recall, towards end of the year I think. I will look for it after my visit to my dad in the nursing home.

Regards,
    Lucy (eye-balling a chocolate bunny!)

21. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Hey Elaine! What's shake'n?

You keeping up with the First Spouse series? What do you think about all these early sell-outs? (...and yeah, we miss you! :hug:)

Draft saved Draft deleted