2011 GOLD high $1,500.00, SILVER high $24.00

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

As I recall, in the 1980s the underfunded Silver market was driven upwards by a very small group of deep pocket investors (Hunts) by the purchase of several thousand tons of silver and shipping it via freighters to Swiss vaults. Once this process had occured, futures began to rise. Once the paper started to go up, investment groups became involved in riding the wave. Then it became extremely profitable to sell "short" when actual delivery of very cheap vaulted silver was sited to cover. What a better method to expense a loss of an item kited to $40/t that had dropped to $4.50/t whose base cost was actually $2.25/t ?

Today's market, although underfunded has risen largely because of the "panic" over the economy. As the economy im[proves, pressure is likely to ease off somewhat. BUT, as many have pointed out, a reduction in price will cause a great many to increase their positions. Again putting demand on the market. So, we only need to ask ourselves at what level most would buy at. I feel the floor might stay higher than many would hope. Some have predicted Silver to hit $150 in 2011. I doubt that, but if I was right more often, instead of posting here, I could be counting my money.

gary

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

How will this day fare?
    Currently: (Bid)
    Gold $1403.30
    Silver $34.64
    Platinum $1724.00
    Palladium $718.00

4. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

Where's Krispy?

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

The $50.00 Buffalo are on the way!!
    I wounder if there will be fractional made this year :kewl:?

6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Flat ! Which is good for those holding. I believe most of the sell off to cover margins on the Tokyo exchange is ended. That market slump has slowed, so the necessary sell off to make the covers can slow too.

It looks like the floor is $34 & $1375.
    Below that and we should start buying
    IMHO

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

8. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Being in a loner mood today, I'll post current market info:

Currently:
    Gold $1439.90 (up)
    Silver $36.84 (up)
    Platinum $1745.00 (up)
    Palladium $740.00 (up)

(Dow down)
    (Dollar up)
    (Oil up)

Too many current events to keep up with, much to be appalled with/at, decisions decisions...

AND lots of snow today!!

Sheesh! All these threads are hard to keep up with...lots of opinions.

9. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Currently: (Bid)
    Gold: 1447.10
    Silver: 38.10
    Platinum: 1763.00
    Palladium: 758.00

This quick rise makes me very nervous.. More I read, I see too many schools of thought.
    A dead thread, this, given over I think to all of the other debates going on. 'Luck and good timing to all.

10. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

why are you nervous?

11. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Probably reading too much of the other threads..bubbles and all. Not sure who is correct in their analyses' (Not just here, but other writers.) So much conflicting data.
    Lack of economic 'education'. Recognizing that decisions made today greatly affect (my) tomorrow.

Those reasons.

You think nothing to be nervous about? Just curious.

Lucy

12. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

nervous about what really? people could sell now and make some money. I'm just buying less and now and investing in some numismatic stuff I like.
    You will be OK, Lucy.

13. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

People could sell now, yes. And then put their dollars into .... what? That's what I have asked a few times (rhetorically, really). There seems nothing stable right now. Not real estate, dollars, stocks, etc.. By the way, you said "investing in some numismatic stuff..", and I thought that one doesn't "invest" in numismatics. I must've gotten that wrong!

Enjoy the day
    Lucy

14. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

You have it correct. It is very difficult to invest in numismatics and come out ahead. The bid/ask spreads are huge. Real estate, dollar denominated assets and the stock market are all more stable than silver. But, as with everything, you have to be comfortable with it and have a reasonably high level of knowledge about the investment class.

15. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

what's wrong with real estate? right now is a great time to buy. as for investing in numismatics it might be a little safer than buying a lot of silver or gold today. investing in numismatics is smarter than buying a blu ray player for example.

16. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

One can pick up property, real estate, yes for a song..true. however, it is my experience that most if not all require additional 'care' , maintenance and the like. Real estate is fine when you have enough..too much is, well, too much! (To physically take care of I am meaning). Out of 4 which nearly sent me to the nutty farm, I am down to two..I spend all of my time either doing some task or wondering what else I need to do. Surely more suited for a man or group of men..not me!! So no, not real estate! Did I say I have a beautiful, empty mfg bldg..? Nervous? Yep. Oh, one more thing..insuramce companies don't like to insure unoccupied homes, or mfg buildings.. and yes they do take a physical look about once every two years. Go gold!

17. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

I have some extra land I bought to rent out to farmers and hunters. works out very well. food for thought

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Real estate is usually a good investment depending on the soil ( farming land is hot) and location,location,location. I have more than enough though and tire often of being a landlord. Real estate is well recorded and visible and will always be top subject for taxation by various levels. Usually real estate is a package, not easy to sell off 10% if necessary, otherwise not a bad investment usually.

19. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

one could buy some palladium. it hasn't moved that much.

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Real estate has its own problems. There is a pretty high, (and always going higher) property taxes, insurance that must be maintained, maintenance, and a pretty large fee and wait to dispose of it. Yes, farmland is hot, (my Dad owns multi hundreds of acres in Iowa, I own just 80), but that will reverse with commodities. Real estate is a good alternative investment area, just has its own problems like they all do. In reality, bonds and stocks are about the perfect investment in terms of care and liquidity, which is why most money is invested there.

The only thing I can say is keep all of these ideas in mind, and buy up what is not hot to diversify when possible. I would not buy farmland now, (may even sell), but would buy farmland when corn is $3 a bushel again maybe. Its funny how assets classes, just like areas of coins, so consistently come in and out of favor, and so many investors always chase what is hot and not "chase" a good value.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Except for that 20% drop in the last month. Or the fourfold increase between late 2008 and last month's high. Which, in turn, followed a nearly threefold drop since early 2008. :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted