2011 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SILVER E C-C, Aug 21, 2011.

1. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Thanks. I will check that out.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Flyers10, it is very generous of you to sell one of your ASE 25th Anniverary sets well below market value so another can own a set.

4. BullionBully

BullionBully New Member

Wow, fits perfectly. 3 sets can fit inside of the box, but no real cushion/packing material can be used. If you were shipping one or two sets I think it would work best. That way you don't have to worry about the corner of the boxes getting messed up. IMO thats usually the only concern when it comes to shipping, the corners of the boxes tend to get dinged up.

USPS: https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/st...viewAll=Y&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10000612

Measurement of the box: 7.5 X 5.125 X 14.375

photo(2).jpg photo.jpg

5. flyers10

Thank you very much.

6. flyers10

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Perfect fit as you say, but no room for packing material (as you also state). I'd be uncomfortable sending a box like that. I've got to have some cushioning when sending stuff........

8. flyers10

Umm..Looks like 1 set would be fine. Going to head over to the Post Office tomorrow to pick up a few to check them out.

9. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

what about a large flat rate box? Could you fit all 5 in there?

Looks like you may be able to get a single layer of small bubblewrap around the outside of the box. Might bulge or whatnot, but USPS generally doesn't have a problem with that. You could probably tear down the seam of the box and "expand" the hinge by an inch or so. Then tape over it with a colored packing tape. Again, probably not even noticed by USPS.

10. Webracer

Webracer New Member

Loose coins

Well I got my 2 sets yesterday 11-21-11 however ons set all capsules were knocked out of holder,but
    All still in sealed capsules at least no damage noticed, on second set almost same situation except one
    Capsule was broken open and the coin had been falling all over the place, chipped and scratched the
    Holder and destroyed the edge of the MS W mint eagle, at least that coin can be replaced. I called
    The mint and told them about it the lady acted like she had never heard of this before, she said I can
    Return the set but could not guarantee that I would get a replacement! I would have to take a chance on
    A replacement or a refund, some choice, guess I will live with it. It is really too bad that we spend so
    Much of our time and money and the mint can't even get the packaging secure! I guess I should be
    Thankful to even have two of these. Order # 38376xxx, it also took 5 days to overnight ship to me.

11. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

If your S mint or reverse proof is in uncirculated condition, you'd be better off not returning. Sucks, but at least you have 1 undamaged set.

12. BullionBully

BullionBully New Member

I agree, but sending one or two sets would be fine. It's the corners that should be of concern when shipping based on what I've seen from my shipments.

13. ClairHardesty

ClairHardesty New Member

Check this out, an ANACS set from a collector (who apparently does not know how to focus a camera),

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25th-Anniversary-silver-eagle-set-ANACS-70-5-coin-set-Perfect-/320799784739?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4ab1283f23#ht_616wt_1396

The slabs are labeled as 25th anniversary & 5-coin silver eagle set. The bullion is not labeled as (S), something they do for HSN. The wording is a clever way around a direct claim that the coins came from a mint issued set. The "25TH ANNIVERSARY" and "5-Coin Silver Eagle Set" wording does not exactly say "25th anniversary set". By separating the two phrases, ANACS has cleverly allowed themselves a way to claim that all they mean is that it was submitted as a five coin set minted during the 25th anniversary year, not as THE five coin anniversary set sold by the mint. It may fool some but with all of the publicity this set has seen, it won't fool many. Most buyers will know that non-HSN ANACS sets are not necessarily composed exclusively of coins from a mint anniversary set.

14. Jayfurball

Jayfurball Member

Hello,
    Just order a new 2011-w unc from mint. Then put this one in box and return damaged. Should work.

15. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Matters what? Because of the two unique coins, the reverse proof and the S mint, you can still only have 100,000 possible sets. There will never be more than that.
    I have a 2011 W that I bought earlier this year and if I choose to swap it for the one in my raw anniversary set who will ever know and does it matter?

16. goldmember

goldmember Junior Member

Has anyone heard or seen of coins coming loose if there were 5 sets in the box? I think this has mostly been happening when there was lots of extra room in the box. I sent mine off for grading and I keep wondering if this happened to my sets.

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Just as an update if anyone cared, I got Numismatic News yesterday and saw a one page "buying ASE sets" ad for Moderncoinmart. I emailed them and just heard today their buy price for unopened sets is $500. I wasn't too impressed by the figure after seeing Ebay auctions. I wonder how many takers they will get at that price?

18. silvermex

silvermex Junior Member

To me thats a low ball offer I hope no one sells for that, they would be leaving an easy 150 on the table.

19. ClairHardesty

ClairHardesty New Member

d.t.menace, for your personal collection it makes no difference. I don't keep track of which coins came with my sets either. It only matters when things are being bought and sold where they need to be as represented. If someone tells you that the coins you are thinking of buying are a US mint anniversary set then they had better be as advertised and not just coins assembled to look like one. If they that what you are buying is the same type of coins as in the mint sets then all is OK as well.

goldmember, yes coins have come loose in five set boxes as well as singles and others. It is more about the fact that the mint did not put a cushion inside the blue box than what is outside it. A large enough shock in the right direction can dislodge the capsules and if the capsules aren't well and tightly shut the coins can get out (sometimes capsules are such a good fit that they trap air and are hard to close).

APMEX is offering $600, which is still too low but better than the $425 they offered before the sets shipped. One more kick of $175 to $775 (or even $750) and I might bite.

20. airraid1999

airraid1999 Member

that will work its the same coin just bought in a set put side by side will not tell difference

21. airraid1999

airraid1999 Member

VERY LOW DON'T SELL FOR THAT. I AM SURE THERE IS SOME TRUE COLLECTORS THAT WOULD PAY THAT ......THAT'S HOW THIS WHOLE FIASCO GOT STARTED THE BIG DEALERS SENT OUT WILL BUY E-MAILS BEFORE THEY EVER WENT ON SALE I GOT 3 OFFERS MYSELF AND THAT MY FRIEND IS WHY SOME WILL GET LEFT OUT ON THIS MOST LIKELY 90% ARE TRUE COLLECTORS OR THEY WOULD NOT BE IN THIS FORUM OR AT COIN TALK JUST MY OPINION IF YOU GOT TO SELL FIND SOMEONE IN HERE THAT REALLY WANTS A SET ALSO HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY:thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted