2011 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SILVER E C-C, Aug 21, 2011.

1. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

How far off?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

With those numbers, they should have shipped yesterday.

38378xxx @ 5:04 shipped on 11/17

:D:D:D:D:D

4. airraid1999

airraid1999 Member

no progress this morning still in process with date 12/02/11 waiting, waiting, waiting:rolleyes: 38379xxx

5. coinperson

coinperson Member

Same here, waiting, waiting, waiting....

6. airraid1999

airraid1999 Member

mint did say that they was catching up with fulfillment but was still assembling sets and if no cancel and date still moves forward that all should be OK? but feel like i am :dead-horse: with each passing minute

7. coinperson

coinperson Member

I know, the waiting is bad...one good thing tho, flyers10 has extended the contest to 11/23. That gives us a chance to see if we get our sets by then.

8. airraid1999

airraid1999 Member

i guess we are the last ones waiting i saw on another blog a set was confirmed yesterday # was 38378very high so they are close

9. Virginian

My coins arrived today.

HOWEVER there was NO sealed packaging!!! :( The blue box was packed at the bottom of a MUCH bigger plain brown box with a bunch of corrugated paper stuffed in the brown box as padding, I guess.

Has anyone else seen that? I am a bit disappointed not to have a sealed set. :mad: But I guess it is better than nothing, huh? :smile

BTW, I had one loose coin, outside its clear plastic case. Yep, of course it was the 2011-S mintmark. What the heck is up with that?

The mint really needs to get its act together IMO.

10. coinperson

coinperson Member

Really? Thats not good to hear. Are you talking about finding the coin out of its round plastic holder?

11. Speedie

Speedie New Member

The bigger plain brown box is what you shouldn't have opened if you were planning on selling it as a sealed set. Having that box left sealed is what constitutes a sealed package. The sets themselves do not have anything that seals them.

12. Virginian

Wow. Really? I have a ton of other sealed mint and proof sets and they are all only a tad bit bigger than the packaged coins inside. This box was HUGE - maybe 8 inches by 11 inches by 15 inches. Also, there was nothing on the outside that led me to think it was from the mint - I thought it was another package I was expecting. Oh well - I guess I blew it. Then again, the only convenient place I would have for storing a box this big would have been the attic.

Oh, and for coinperson . . . yeah, the naked coin was just floating around in the blue box. The two pieces of the plastic holder were separated and one of them was stuck in the little hole in the display case, and teh other was just floating around by itself.

13. Speedie

Speedie New Member

Yup, in their infinite wisdom the fulfillment center used the same oversize box regardless of how many sets you ordered. But...if the set is a keeper then who cares! Open it up and enjoy it. I did!

My "S" was floating around outside of its capsule too. I examined it with a loupe however, and there didn't seem to be any harm done.

14. goldmember

goldmember Junior Member

Couldn't you accomplish this by taking a random 70 set, and sending them in to be re-holdered (is this really a word?)? If so, then consecutive numbers mean nothing.

15. phdunay

phdunay Member

I see what you're getting at, but what kind of collector would buy and ANACS 70 set for $3000? I find it funny reading the HSN reviews how people are really happy with the price of their items, like an ICG PR70 Pres. dollar set for 1 year for $150. The people who buy these buy them as novelties, not as collectibles, either that or they have no idea what they're doing.

16. NYK9COP

NYK9COP New Member

I would say instead of the eagle pointing at 12 o'clock, it is pointing more towards 11 o'clock. Like I said, I lined up all the coins straight in their holders and when you flip it over the reverse proof sticks out like a sore thumb. Anybody else notice anything like this in their set?

17. NYK9COP

NYK9COP New Member

The previous post in in regards to the obverse of my Reverse Proof coin looking crooked. Anybody with an open set notice this?

18. coinperson

coinperson Member

Someone else mention the same thing but I can't remember which thread it was, sorry!

19. ClairHardesty

ClairHardesty New Member

I don't think that any experienced collector would buy any TPGs 70 set without seeing it close enough to judge quality for themselves. ANACS 70s aren't inherently worse than NGC or PCGS 70s, they just have a wider range of what's acceptable but even at PCGS there can be quite a difference between a coin that just made 70 and the top of the mark. Certainly any PCGS 70 would probably get the same grade at ANACS unless it was mis-graded in the first place (it happens) but many ANACS 70s would still be that grade at PCGS. Even among coins from PCGS, a low 70 is only worth a little more than a high 69. Buying graded coins sight unseen should only be done if you are trading enough volume to have things average out. Remember, coins are graded in just a few seconds with the unaided eye. With the average selling price of 70s being so much higher than that of 69s, it would be wise to get a good look at the very coins you are about to buy before committing. Each TPG has its own set of standards and each grader applies them in his/her own way so there is a lot of variation at the grade/grade+1 crossover. If you are thorough, you can get a very good deal buying a set of ANACS 70s. If you examine a set and are sure that all are top notch coins that would get the grade from any grader, you can take advantage of the fact that ANACS 70s generally sell for less than PCGS 70s and get excellent coins for your collection at very reasonable prices.

20. kd13

kd13 New Member

Where are the comparison pictures of the different finish some of these coins had? Someone delete them?

21. chaching

chaching New Member

Strange, if you watch this youtube video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOvticHE4sk&feature=related, you'll notice the same crookedness.

Draft saved Draft deleted