2009-W: A Prediction Poll

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Argento, Mar 14, 2009.

?

When will the 2009-W sets go on sale?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2009.
  1. First Quarter: Jan - Mar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Second Quarter: Apr - Jun

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Third Quarter: Jul - Sept

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  4. Fourth Quarter: Oct - Dec

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. Not at all!

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

Dag nabbit! Now I can't rememer which quarter I voted for. :crying:

I'm going to retroactively vote for 3rd quarter...:kewl:

Oops! Just noticed from post #9 that I voted "not at all". Oh well, there is still time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

American Eagle Silver Proof Coins

Production of United States Mint American Eagle Silver Proof and Uncirculated Coins has been temporarily suspended :yawn:because of unprecedented demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins. Currently, all available silver bullion blanks are being allocated to the American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin Program, as the United States Mint is required by Public Law 99-61 to produce these coins “in quantities sufficient to meet public demand . . . .”

The United States Mint will resume the American Eagle Silver Proof and Uncirculated Coin Programs once sufficient inventories of silver bullion blanks can be acquired to meet market demand for all three American Eagle Silver Coin products.

4. Argento

Argento Perplexed

Well, gang, it looks like Q4 is our last hope but, from the looks of it, I am thinking we have a no-show for the 2009 West Point collectibles.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ya know what? They can produce enough of these bullion issues to meet public demand and still mint the "W" unc. and proof. I too am beginning to wonder if the proof and "W" unc. will be issued at all. I'm beginning to think the mint wants to abandon the program.....:mad:

6. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

I wonder what will happen to all the ms70 silver eagle proofs from previous years? I guess if the mint stops making "W" Proof silver eagles the older ones will only be worth bullion as no one will want to collect them any more.

7. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

When the mint can't even keep up with the basic collectable coins, I think somebody needs to tell Congress to quit signing bills to make new coinages! Maybe the mint should hire some more people with some of that stimulus money so they can keep up with all the crud congress . . .
    Well, I can see right now I better end this before I get to talking politics

8. Argento

Argento Perplexed

Actually, it's likely that exactly the opposite will happen.

Proof collections of ASE should begin appreciating immediately should the Mint announce an end to the program.

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The Mint proudly claims the 2009W is the "Next in Series" and that...

"With your enrollment today you will receive the 2009 American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin as your first product."

They make the same claims for the Proofs, also. It seems odd that they would make such bold statements if they didn't plan to make good. They generally tend to "understate" rather than "overstate" their intentions.

I don't know what they plan to do, but it may be wise to sign up for a subscription...just in case. It's "possible" that they will only produce enough coins to meet subscription demand. :eek:

[​IMG]
    Click here to view larger image

Image not actual size 2009 American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin Subscription - $25.95 per unit

The United States Mint issues these coins annually. With your enrollment today you will receive the 2009 American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin as your first product.

10. Argento

Argento Perplexed

yak, those pages have been that way for a long time now and, for all intents and purposes, don't represent the Mint's intentions one way or another.

Hell, the mint website still says the Buffalo oz. proof is TBD but the last official word out of the Mint was that they were considering not minting it at all.

Showing the Buffs as TBD
    http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProdschedView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001#

Discussion that the Mint may halt the Buff proofs for '09 (see 2nd to last paragraph)
    http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/us-mint-news-quick-updates.html

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

All good points...I'm just saying that their statements on the 2009w ASEs are a bit stronger than "TBD".

Consider a scenario where the Mint "might" have enough blanks to make the 2009w coins, but (by law) want to make absolutely sure they don't over produce 2009w coins to the detriment of the bullion coins.

One way the Mint could address this is to take "pre-orders" in the form of subscriptions. They only want to meet legitimate "collector" demand and not "speculator" demand...so they don't hype the subscriptions. Near the end of the year, they strike just enough to cover the subscriptions (pre-orders) and that's it. No subscription, no coin.

No one knows if that's the case...certainly not me! I'm just saying that it might not be a bad idea to take out a subscription...just in case. You can always cancel it later if you want.

12. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

I would think we will hear something this month as I heard they end 2009 bullion coin production in November and start 2010 bullion coins in December. it has to be soon!

13. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I think the mint is going to fill the subscription orders only. That way they can make as many bullion ASEs as needed and only the collectors "W" coins in the future. This will tend to increase the subscription sales and give the mint some idea of how many coins of each type to make. I've ordered 5 for myself as I did in '06.

Bruce

14. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I hope you are right! :)

15. Argento

Argento Perplexed

If they do go forward with the '09 series, I would be surprised if it were to be for subs only. AGE and Buffs both would need to be sold and there are no subscriptions for those coins. It's not likely they would release one set of collectibles for subs only and another set for open purchase.

Never can tell with the Mint though.

16. shovel78

shovel78 Junior Member

Do they have the blanks for the AGE and Buf? From what i can find, they do not have blanks.

17. green18

They got 'em (MHO), they just don't want to tell anyone they got 'em......

18. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I've seen where, if they produce one of the ASE products (Proofs or Uncs), the Mint's required to produce the other. I haven't see where production of silver products requires the production of gold products. :confused:

19. Argento

Argento Perplexed

First, the Mint is only required to produce the bullion, non-collectible products. They've done proofs only in the past, in fact, primarily. Unc. collectibles were short-lived.

Also, it's just as likely they'll produce the gold collectibles without the silver as it is the other way around. Which is to say that there is just no telling. Any situation could be as likely as another at this point.

20. green18

Well, looks like we ain't getting any "w" uncircs' or proofs this year. I just got this e-mail. Bummer.......

Dear United States Mint Customer,

Production of the United States Mint American Eagle Silver Proof and
    Uncirculated Coins was suspended this year because of unprecedented
    demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins. All available silver
    bullion blanks are being allocated to the American Eagle Silver Bullion
    Coin Program, as the United States Mint is required by Public Law 99-61
    to produce these coins "in quantities sufficient to meet public demand
    ..."

The United States Mint will resume the American Eagle Silver Proof and
    Uncirculated Coin Programs once sufficient inventories of silver
    bullion blanks can be acquired to meet market demand for all three
    American Eagle Silver Coin products. However, due to the continued,
    sustained demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins, 2009-dated
    American Eagle Silver Proof and Uncirculated Coins will not be
    produced.

You do not need to re-subscribe to the 2010 American Eagle Silver Proof
    and Uncirculated Coin Programs. Prices may change during the course of
    your subscription. Should the price change for the 2010 coins, the new
    prices will be listed on your 30-day pre-fulfillment notification.
    Please review your notification carefully.

21. Argento

Argento Perplexed

But Buffalos are green lit, releasing on the 29th!!!

http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/2009-proof-and-uncirculated-gold-and.html

Terribly bummed about the ASE and AGE though. A big fat blank in the collection.

Also, continuing the discussion with yak, the Mint through us all for a loop. After himmin' and hawin' over the release of proof Buffalos, isn't it strange that they would now choose to release proof Buffalos and Proof Plat Eagles but no other proof bullion collectibles? The Mint, man, who knows what they're up to on any given day.

Draft saved Draft deleted