2009-W: A Prediction Poll

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Argento, Mar 14, 2009.

?

When will the 2009-W sets go on sale?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2009.
  1. First Quarter: Jan - Mar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Second Quarter: Apr - Jun

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Third Quarter: Jul - Sept

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  4. Fourth Quarter: Oct - Dec

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. Not at all!

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Argento

Argento Perplexed

So, with the Mint still officially halted on production of the collectible versions of both AGE and ASE, bust out your prediction hats and make your choice as to when (or if) these coins will land:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I voted third quarter. The programs are just too popular with collectors for the Mint to let slide into oblivian.....

4. C Jay

C Jay Member

I also voted third quarter, but now that I think about it, should have voted not at all. The mint has added an info link on eagles to their product release list. Their first priority, by law, is for bullion runs. Last year they minted 18 million ASEs, which is 1/3 more than previous years, and they still couldn't keep up with demand. With economic uncertainty driving the demand even higher, we could be looking at a year with no numismatic releases on eagles. From 1965 to 1967, coin proof sets were not minted. Red Book counts on business strike dimes and quarters for these years were also way above average. I wonder if this is the same thing, only different?

5. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

It will be 4th quarter before they can save up enough blanks.

6. coins2006

coins2006 Member

I feel it will be the 4th. quarter. They will sell out no matter when they go on sale but by then we all hope the have enough blanks and the mint knows alot of people like to buy the Proof ASE for Xmas gifts. Last year alot of people complained about waiting to buy the Proof ASE for XMAS and when they closed out in Aug they were shut out. It may be like 06 with the first Unc ASE and the 20th. Anniv. set that both came out late in the 4th. Quarter.

7. green18

Actually, I ordered the 2006 ASE 25th anniversary set on August 30, 2006. I believe that would make it third quarter.....

8. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

I'm gonna go out a limb here and speculate that given the current fiscal problems this country is facing we are going to see an end to even popular coin programs. I think that there are many changes coming for coin collectors and the ASE is probably slated for the chopping block. I guess we'll see.
    :(

9. green18

I don't know 'bout that. The mint kept the commemorative coin program going back in the late twenties and thirties. Seem to recollect a depression around that time.....

10. Moen1305

Silver was more plentiful back then as well. Times have changed.

11. green18

Yeah, but money wasn't....

12. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I put not at all. As I recall these are not required by law.

13. Moen1305

So did I and it could happen. I'd hate to see it happen but it might give me more time to catch my three sets up.

I noticed that my local guy went up to about 22 dollars a coin for the non-key coins when silver prices rose and now that it has fallen, he still charges about 22 dollars a coin. I ain't been buying them.

14. coins2006

coins2006 Member

I think you are correct. I just looked up my mint order tracking and I ordered 10 20Th. Anniv sets on Sept 06. How I was confused they did not ship the set until Dec 12. I really thought it was put up for sale later in the year.

15. Argento

Argento Perplexed

I voted 2nd quarter because with the reduced demand of gold over the past few weeks, and a projected reduction to continue, I figure if they can't stockpile and do it in April, it probably won't happen at all.

Hope I am wrong though.

16. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I wish they would hurry up....:eat:

17. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I voted third quarter, although I really wanted to say not at all!

18. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I'm getting hungry for some 2009 proof ase's!

19. Argento

Argento Perplexed

As we roll on into the last few weeks of Q2, it's pretty obvious at this point that West Point won't be pumping out the W bullion this quarter.

More importantly, we get closer to Q3, this forum's favorite for seeing the '09s roll out.

20. Danr

Danr Numismatist

one word: SUBSCRIPTION!

21. Argento

Argento Perplexed

Two words: NOT AVAILABLE!!!

I made it extra big, in caps, underlined and with extra exclamation points so you'd know it was true.

Now, if you are laboring under the impression that the Silver Eagle is the only coin made with the W mint mark, then yes, your one word edict would suffice.

For everyone who is aware that there are other coins made with the W mint mark, my two word response should adequately explain our subscription options.

Draft saved Draft deleted