2009 ultra high relief double eagle unciruclated gold coin

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Jan 21, 2009.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Mine, forever, will remain in the wild. Natural and original, unsullied by a third party 'box' and designation, it shall remain a testament to how things was collected in dem olden times......:)

4. green18

Wow! Will ya look at how many pages this sucker has. Holy Mackerel.......:)

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I was having fun reading some of the posts from 3-4 years ago (mine included)...:foot-mouth:

6. green18

No need for 'hoof in mouth' it. I was a contributor too.........:)

Though we might be cited for resurrecting a long ago thread....

7. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

I'm really sad and disappointed I didn't buy this thing at that time. Now I'm one of the suckers that will have to pay up for one.

8. green18

That's because these pieces will never be viewed as bullion, but rather, as collectibles.....

9. PeacePeople

What I was hoping for was a lot of speculation and an overbought coin. What happened was it ended up being a winner because many were probably thinking the way I was. In the end, it's not my first and for sure not my last mistake.

10. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I think this one is an important journal of our time...100 years from now scholars will cite this thread in important works of Numismatic literature...(be careful what you say!).

11. green18

OK. I'll not muck it up........:)

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I sold mine early this year. It was graded MS70 First Strike PCGS. I made three and one half times my initial investment. Sold to a dealer so there were no fee's involved. This was one, of only a few pieces ever purchased for my collection, I bought with the intent to actually sell.

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Congrats on actually making money in this hobby!

14. green18

Sam, i was 'avarice' with the 25th anniversary silver eagles set. Bought the limit with an eye to capitalize, and indeed i did, naughty fellow me. Not so with the ultra high's though........:)

15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

That's why I normally don't invest but simply collect coins. I took a chance that gold prices would be rising. Then it became a hot collector item, but I had no premonition that was going to happen. Then, again with no premonition, I sold before gold prices began their current dip. I had two horse shoes in my pocket and a some major luck besides. It won't happen again in my life time.

16. krispy

krispy krispy

A great old thread! With hilarious commentary and the famed, now extant, Elaine! LOL!

I rallied for this coin for a long time. Many ignored it and lots of people said it would be a looser, a bullion coin ready for the melt pots, but it has boomed! I bought mine late in the year and paid the higher retail price then, but have never minded that. It's a beautiful coin that I place in my top 20 list. I keep mine in OGP and haven't had a chance to buy another graded one before the prices shot up. Like Ken, mine will stay with me and free of a slab. I don't see much reducing the value of coins like this, the sort of "one of a kind" pieces from the Mint. Sort of like the bi-metallic commemorative Library of Congress coin. Those hold a strong numismatic premium where other commems and special collectibles fall off over time.

Thanks for bumping the thread! :)

17. krispy

krispy krispy

But on the other hand, you probably did well stacking, enough that could reinvest in the collectibles now. :yes:

18. PeacePeople

That may be true, but I like going up in ounces, and this one will take me down much more than I'm accustomed to. Oh well. I'm not going to make the same mistake with the reverse proof Buffalo, going to suck it up and buy it on release, I hope.

19. wkw427

wkw427 Member

2009? Wouldn't a 1907 one be preferred? :)

20. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

tell luke yoda has come back in greens body :D

21. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yes i was still hrh spock then :D

Draft saved Draft deleted