2009 American Silver Eagles going to be scarce?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by flyers10, Jan 10, 2009.

1. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

In the March 2009 issue of Coin Values page 8 They talk about the Mint having problems getting the blanks for bullion coins.
    "In a memo sent to the Mint's authorized purchasers of bullion coins, the Mint announced, "The quantites of blanks that we have been able to acquire from our suppliers continue to be very limited, while demand for bullion coins remains high. As a result, it is necessary for the US Mint to delay the launch of other bullion coins until later in 2009."

Decided to buy a roll of 20 ASE in addition to the ones I already ordered on that news. Maybe this will replace the 1996 as the key. If it doesn't I have a nice roll of silver!:thumb:

Also says the Mint will deliver only the 2009 American Eagle 1 ounce gold and silver coins in January.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Are you talking about the ones made for collectors or the regular issue bullion ?
    rzage

4. flyers10

Looks like the regular bullion that is sent to dealers for resale. That in turn will cause the W mint mark silver eagles to be released later.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Sounds good , thanks for the heads up .
    Rusty:)

6. flyers10

My pleasure. Got to love silver!

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think the opposite might be true. The Mint is having trouble obtaining blanks not because the blanks are scarce but because the number of orders have increased. So 2009 might turn out to be one of the high mintage years.

8. flyers10

That's possible but the article stated the quantities of the blanks that we have been able to acquire from our suppliers continue to be very limited while demand for bullion coins remains high. Sounds like a supply problem with heavy demand which should raise the price. Time will tell. I am lock and loaded just in case. If the price doesn't go up I will have some pretty silver coins to look at!:smile

9. sublime118

sublime118 Member

I'll do everyone a favor and not buy any. This will quadruple the chances of a low mintage, If I buy any, the mintages will equal all state quarters combined. Murphy's law!

10. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

You may be right, but every bit of info I have obtained the '09 is expected to be one of the highest and in all probability the highest mintages for ASEs. But, who knows what the mint will do. They took some very unexpected measures last year that I think took everyone by surprise.

11. skippy

skippy Senior Member

Well I'll be be buying ONE W mint mark and ONE regular bullion ASE to fill the holes in the album but other than that I'll still just be buying silver bars this year as far as bullion is concerned.

12. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

Is the mint going to release a 2009-W this year? I don't see it listed on the product release schedule.

13. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

They will release the 09W Proof, but as far as the 09W UNC, I have not heard whether or not they will release this one. I have heard mixed info, but based on the past 3 years success of the W UNC, I would be surprised if they don't.

14. flyers10

I haven't seen where they said they are going to cancel the W mint mark silver eagles. Just that they will be releasing them later this year.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Out of 550 products that the mint offered last year - 350 of them will no longer be offered. Can't swear to it, but I think the W mint products were among those that will be discontinued.

16. flyers10

According to that article many of the W mint mark coins are being discontinued:
    Eagle platimum coins with W mint mark all options.
    fractional uncirculated eagle gold coins with W mint mark (individual half-ounce, quarter ounce tenth ounce coins and four coin sets) the mint will continue offering the single 1 ounce coin.
    Unc buffalo gold coins with W mint mark all options.

I think they are still doing the W mint mark silver american eagles with the release date being much later than last year but I will believe it when I see it posted on the Mint website.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think i would watch the 2009 proof and the 2009-W if they issue it. Last year they were also having difficulty getting the silver blanks and their responce was to drop the proofs early. (I don't know if the dropped the 2008-W early, I just don't follow those things) So it may not be the bullion coins that are the rare ones.

18. flyers10

Thanks for the heads up. I almost forgot about the proofs. The 2008 Proofs sold out real early last year. I get 2 on subscription so I think I will add a few more this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted