2008 american buffalo proof and uncirculated gold coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Jul 21, 2008.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

well i should donate all of mine too. cause i don't use them. and will never use it. but how to donate?.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

The fundraiser is over now so you dont need to donate for that.

Donations are done in the USER CP found at top, on that page, scroll down the left column and you will see the Credits section. Just follow the steps there.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

Remember this recent offer from MCM...

So today I received an email from MCM as follows:

Check out their going retail prices... the graded 2008-W 4 Coin Gold Buffalo Set NGC Proof 70 Ultra Cameo is retailing for $8485!

That's some nutty, nutty stuff folks! :rolling: ...for less than 2 oz. of gold!!! :bigeyes:

5. elaine 1970

maximum retail price with complete box and certificate.

06w AGE unc 1/2 oz mintage 6,075 - $1,900.00
    06w AGE unc 1/4 oz mintage 7,150 - $1,000.00

07w AGE unc 1/2 oz mintage 5,180 - 1,900.00
    07w AGE unc 1/4 oz mintage 6,437 - 1,000.00

08w AGE unc 1/2 oz mintage 5,209 - $2,300.00
    08w AGE unc 1/4 oz mintage 6,032 - $1,500.00

08w AGB unc 1/2 oz mintage 3,237 - $2,500.00
    08w AGB unc 1/4 oz mintage 3,900 - $1,900.00

08w AGB proof 1/2 oz mintage 4,666 - $2,600.00
    08w AGB proof 1/4 oz mintage 5,322 - $1,900.0

6. CoinDetector

CoinDetector Junior Member

Elaine,

Do you sense that the prices on the 2008 W AGBs have leveled off? I've noticed that the number for sale on ebay have almost doubled over the past month (90s to 170s), and they do not appear to be getting what they once were. Is the ride over...at least in the near-term?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Krispy,

All last year, MCM was buying all the OGP Gold Buffs they could get at prices ranging from $275-$425 for the 1/10th oz. Their offering price is quite a mark-up from those buy prices.

Chris

8. elaine 1970

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Indeed they were buying at serious undercut prices and indeed they do mark up significantly. They even put out a huge email blast within the past couple of months trying to rattle collectors to release more. We've posted about that marketing attempt when MCM put that out.

10. krispy

krispy krispy

Elaine, What are you linking to? The 2010 AGB info? This is a thread regarding the 2009 Proof and Unc AGB coins.

While that link doesn't reproduce the 'memo' from the US Mint sent to the authorized bullion dealers, it only say's the Mint will begin accepting orders on 4/29/2010 for 2010 bullion AGB coins and does not provide a date for delivery nor mention anything about May delivery.

Apmex began accepting pre-sale orders for the bullion AGB coins on 4/26 and estimates delivery from 5/7 onward for coins they couldn't even yet have ordered.

11. elaine 1970

2008w american buffalo proof and unc shown on latest CDN newsletter (april 30 issue). prices for those buffaloes are still continue going up from its high. and it is only based on $1,153.50/oz. now is $1,173.00/oz. so by the time the may 14 issue come out. it should be way up again.

12. krispy

krispy krispy

What about the May 7th date? That's the date Apmex claims they will have 2010 AGB unc. available... may reduce actual pressure from published figures for prior years. You may have to adjust for that if some buyers begin to buy the new coin.

13. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

How do we do that ???
    I'd like to donate all mine.....:thumb:

14. krispy

krispy krispy

Go to the top of any CT page when you are logged in... Just click the link that says 'purchase' in the upper right near your Welcome name / Private Messages console. It will take you to your credits account and fill out the Donate box, add which Member you want to donate to, krispy obviously;), then click 'donate'. Done.

15. elaine 1970

16. aubuffalo08

aubuffalo08 Junior Member

The revised mintage for the 1 oz Proof AGB is a suspect. At 18,863, after taking away the 4-Coin Set of 7,803, there are only 11,060 single coins, which I think is too few.

17. aubuffalo08

aubuffalo08 Junior Member

Looks like I'm replying my own posts here ... :rolling:

Seems like price for the 2008 AGB has fallen across except for the 4-Coin Sets and BU. The same goes for NGC and PCGS graded ones. A sign of downtrend or collectors putting aside money for the 2010 version?

18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

So if I bought a $5 AGB UNC coin for $150 and could sell it for $625, who here would do it. I'd use the money to either buy ASE's or a coin for my Dansco 7070?

19. krispy

krispy krispy

Tater: I think I would definitely buy it if you have the opportunity! I know that your coin is an UNC AGB and you might do a little better if you have time to wait for a buyer who might pay even more, but consider this article from Coin Values that just came out: Proof bullion prices fall. While the article is about AGE coins and primarily Proofs, the hyper inflated 2008 fractional AGB coins may also suffer somewhat. Perhaps not from the same reasoning as AGE proofs potentially becoming available again soon, but rather due to the AGB collector demand leveling off as those who wanted them have them and those who cannot obtain them do without. I would say that even if you bought the coin, not just to flip, but to hold for a while, not to underestimate that the value of the 08 AGB fractional coins will be retained, however don't feel rushed to flip this by accepting too low of an offer, should you have a buyer now. Those in possession of these coins should be in a position to ask a firm price but realise they have a small collector base to deal with as well and not let a solid selling opportunity float away especially if you feel prices may pull back and you have a buyer on your hands-- or simply have something better to spend the money you'd make on other things. I think it's a win-win for you to pick up the coin at that price and to flip it for that much profit just like it is a wisely invested $150 if you hold it as the coins will likely retain much greater numismatic value than bullion value alone.

20. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Interesting. I bought the coin when it was released so I do have the coin in hand. I just wonder how much more growth potential their is with the coin. I have seen them level off and come down some, I know that it is a general market issue as most coins have dipped IMO lately. What should one expect to receive for a coin like this?

21. krispy

krispy krispy

Ah! From your earlier post, I thought you had just found one available for $150 that you were *now* thinking to buy and flip.

I'm not sure what you can expect to get from it but certainly a good bit more than what you paid and not just because of the POG increase since you bought it. The value has everything to do with collector demand given these were the only fractional AGBs issued before being cut out last year and the mintages are fairly low. Definitely check how they have been selling lately on eBay by doing a search in completed auctions.

Also, look up the coin on Numismedia FMV for AGB $5 BU while those are for graded examples the OGP do fairly well too.

Elaine was regularly posting retail sales figures, so if you back up a few pages or do a search on CT for her posts about them you might see some past performance, yet she never/rarely cites her source(s) for this info... Sometimes she generalized eBay sales averages and other times it comes straight from the CDN / greysheet reports. Unfortunatly, as is typical for Elaine, she only posts about price INCREASES, and fails to track DECREASES so she leaves us hanging for an objective scope of how these prices are tracking, peaking, leveling or falling off. This is typical of how she celebrates the up tics in bullion gold/silver prices but disappears when the prices fall... so take her figures with a grain of salt.

Draft saved Draft deleted