2007 Platinum Anniversary Set

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Aberlight, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

I have searched the internet and cannot find any information on the upcoming 2007 Platinum Anniversary Set other than what I have gathered on CoinTalk. I have a few questions:

Is this correct? There will be 3 1/2 ounce platinum eagles in the set. Probably be around $2500.00. Likely issued late summer/early fall. Set will consist or a uncirculated, proof, and reverese proof.

Will the reverse proof be similar to the early bullion platnum, which had cameo features reverese from the proof?

Will the set be limited to 15,000. What will the likely maximum order be per household?

Last year the mint produced anniversary sets in gold and silver that included revese proofs? The silver set had a max order of 10 sets. What was the max for the gold?

How much notice of time did the mint provide before the order period begun last year?

Is there any other information or rumors that people are aware of?

Thanks for all your help......

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

The last I heard it was expected to be two 1/2 ounce coins, one reverse proof and one proof with a mintage of 15,000. Seeing as how all the other 1/2 ounce proof platinums have mintage less than 15,000, I just don't think this set will be the hot ticket many think it is.

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

hot ticket or not. i am buying them on the first day of sale. otherwise they might sell out

5. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

Last I heard or read it was going to be (3) 1/2 coins for the Anniversary set but then again have not heard anything about it lately. If it is anywhere close to $2,500 you can count me out. Am curious about the packaging of this set from the mint . Will it be like the gold and silver anniversary set where if someone just had to have a certified set would they have to ship the whole unopened mint box to the slabbers..

I Would also be curious how many people would buy these sets , keep the reverse proof and dump the other 1 or 2 coins. By the way what is the fabrication cost of platinum from the mint.

Aberlight... The gold annivesary sets had a limit of 10 per household. I opened my email a day after they went on sale and it was to late. That was before i was seriously collecting again. Because of this forum it is unlikely that the platinum anniversary sets will slip up on anyone. Think the limit on the platinum sets will be less than 10 . I hope so . The mint can always raise the limit but give us little guys a chance.

EDit. should have said i hope it comes in at under $2,500 but I forgot about the price of platinum these days. Maybe they will make it a 2 coin set. lol.

6. kidkayt

kidkayt Senior Member

Maybe they should limit it to 2 sets per buyer, to extend the sale period, and let everyone have a fair
    chance at it.

7. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

Thanks A Lot For All Your Help!!! I Really Appreciate It.

8. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

20,000 would make it a common :(

9. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

Too common? No way! A whopping 20,000 out of 2.5 billion people in the world will own them.

ND86, and idea of price? Thank you.

10. kidkayt

kidkayt Senior Member

I think you meant 6.6 billion!

11. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

Yes, you are correct. :D

12. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Check the 1/2 ounce mintage figures.

There may be 6.6 billion people in the world but you have to realize that 6,599,997,432 don't care. There are not that many platinum collectors out there and with a mintage of 20,000 there will be more than enough to go around.

Unlike the 2006W 1/2 ounce. There are only 2,650 of those.
    Do you have one?

13. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Which one is this? Silver or Gold?

14. kidkayt

kidkayt Senior Member

Think he meant Pt. I have to wonder if this would have premium as a collectible, as opposed to
    its composition.

15. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Will it be popular ..sure.
    I think a lot of non platinum collctors will get in line for it just to try to flip for some profit. With that high of a mintage, I don't see any quick money to be made. Some people will get it so that they have all 3 reverse proof issues. A nice subset. I just don't see all the hoopla that surrounded the gold silver issues. Platinum is for an elite crowd and no doubt the Platinum collectors will be able to obtain it easily with 15-20 thousand of them out there.

Who knows what happens when it sells out. I just think it will take a while to sell. I was hoping for a 5,000 mintage so that there would be some thrill to the chase.

All the platinum folks are still scratching their heads over the 06W issues.

16. kidkayt

kidkayt Senior Member

"All the platinum folks are still scratching their heads over the 06W issues"
    Which makes me ask how the Gold 06-W burnished issues are doing on the market? The Oz
    was on par with the market value but how about the fractionals?

17. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

Last I read on the 2006 W gold was the 2007 W 1/10 was up to 15,000 sold so far so the 2006 w 1/10 UNC looks like it will be low and a good one to own. The 1/10 platinum 2006 W is scary low with only 3750 minted so that one is even better for a 1/10 ounce size.

18. pellegrino

pellegrino New Member

I think there should be only one coin for the anniversary, a Reverse Proof at $1300. That would be a huge hit!!!

19. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

jocularity jocularity

20. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

The reverse proof will be a nice coin, I think this platinum is my favorite design so far.

Attached Files:

21. alhas

alhas Senior Member

The reverse of the 2007 Platinum (Proof, Uncirculated and Reverse Proof) is supposed to depict the "Executive branch of the government". I have not seen the new design as yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted